It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Catholic diocese demands apology from 'SNL' for Catholic skit

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2019 @ 09:21 AM
link   
I always find it odd that people in a free society demand comedians to give an apology. I always find it stranger that a person or group in the midst of a scandal would demand an apology. You want a free pass from being ripped on because you're going through a hard time?

During the show's "Weekend Update" segment, the comedian likened supporters of the Catholic Church, which has seen a sex-abuse scandal encompassing thousands of priests, to fans of R. Kelly, who is facing 10 counts of aggravated criminal sexual abuse.

I can understand that this isn't a fair comparison, but comedy isn't about logic, it's about getting laughs. Sometimes it's about being edgy just to break ice around a topic.

"Apparently, the only acceptable bias these days is against the Catholic Church," leaders of the Brooklyn diocese said in a statement. "The faithful of our Church are disgusted by the harassment by those in news and entertainment, and this sketch offends millions. The mockery of this difficult time in the Church’s history serves no purpose."

Well, aside from being wrong, I think it's fair to say when you have decades of covering up sexual abuse towards minors, your become free game.

Hoodathunk?

But just when I thought this couldn't get anymore rich... The dude really just doubled down on dumb ass and through any shred of footing out the door.

The diocese said it has "instituted widespread changes" to prevent abuse, adding that it's "likely that no other institution has done more than the Catholic Church to combat and prevent sexual abuse."
USA Today

Combat is the most creative way of saying enable I've ever seen.

Aside from seeing the results of any new "widespread changes", what have they done other than moving people out of areas where they get caught?

I don't think we should target people because they are catholic, and I recognize that a comedian directed a joke towards them, but it's that, a joke (to be honest, I haven't really liked most of the recent years of SNL and didn't find this funny, but they should still be able to do it). But when an organization goes this astray, we should criticize it as a whole (not individuals).

And just because it's a religious organization doesn't give them a free pass, hell, it should open them up to more scrutiny. When you have people believing you are the middle man to their eternal salvation, you have more power than normal people, when you abuse it, just as the bible says, you should be judged more heavily.

Edit: Full headline reduced to fit-original-"Catholic diocese demands apology from 'SNL' after Pete Davidson compares church to R. Kelly"
edit on 13-3-2019 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2019 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Sue them, It is working for a high school kid.

Everybody is getting their feelings hurt.

posted on Mar, 13 2019 @ 09:28 AM
link   
People get the most offended when the jokes are the most true

Catholic Church needs to be the one apologizing to the masses for the years of sexual cover ups.

posted on Mar, 13 2019 @ 09:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel
Sue them, It is working for a high school kid.

Everybody is getting their feelings hurt.

I get what you're saying, but it's apples and oranges. One is an individual minor who had the media run incorrect stories on him, some didn't issue corrections. And another is a comedian saying a joke about a blanketed group.

posted on Mar, 13 2019 @ 09:34 AM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

"Don't remind people of our child-raping, that's not cool!"

posted on Mar, 13 2019 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Sure, I was going a bit far but it is the basics of what it has become. If it wasn't for the death threats it would be mostly a a joke. And I feel most "death threats" are the empty words of cowards in today's world.

edit on 3/13/2019 by roadgravel because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2019 @ 09:38 AM
link   

No sense of humor!

posted on Mar, 13 2019 @ 09:40 AM
link   
I can't wait for SNL muslim skit

Being a 'free society' and all.

posted on Mar, 13 2019 @ 09:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

I seem to remember a skit called quadaffis fried chicken....

posted on Mar, 13 2019 @ 09:50 AM
link   
People keep thinking money leads the world. No wonder they don't understand why Vatican has an immunity. Money doesn't lead this world, information is, and Vatican has a lot of it.

posted on Mar, 13 2019 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Maybe it is my memory but I remember SNL skits that were actually funny. Anymore, they seem to be monotonic and harsh with poseurs rather than comedians. Their humor is strained and obvious and not at all subtle. Perhaps it is just poor writing by angry illiterates with no real sense of humor. I think SNL is well past its prime and I am surprised that it is still on the air.

posted on Mar, 13 2019 @ 09:55 AM
link   
You know, the Catholic "Church" includes the parishioners too. There are 1.2 BILLION Catholics. I'm sure that a vast majority of them aren't molesting children.

How would you feel if you belonged to a group of conscientious people where a minuscule minority had perpetrated horrendous crimes and now people started treating you as if they represented the whole of your group?

Catholics are 1/6th of all humanity. If you looked at the statistics of any 1/6 of humanity I bet you would find the same percentages of people who do bad things.

posted on Mar, 13 2019 @ 09:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: pteridine
...they seem to be monotonic and harsh...

Yeah, I don't think they should be harsh when it comes to child-rapers, they should have more laid back jokes like, 'Why did the Cardinal cross the road? He was running from the To Catch a Predator crew!".

edit on 13-3-2019 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer

posted on Mar, 13 2019 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Google: SNL Muslim skit

Let your ignorance fade away!

posted on Mar, 13 2019 @ 09:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Jefferton

I liked the 'Draw Mohammed' one.

posted on Mar, 13 2019 @ 09:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
a reply to: Jefferton

I liked the 'Draw Mohammed' one.

Classic

posted on Mar, 13 2019 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Lol so SNL has to apologize but I guess they don't mind this?

I guess South Park was more accurate so they have no arguments for them?

posted on Mar, 13 2019 @ 10:00 AM
link   
a reply to: BomSquad

The scandal was international with a large number of infractions, the perpetrators were protected and moved. The crimes were known by many in the organization going up to the highest of echelons.

When this happens, you're going to catch criticism and people will rip on you. Maybe they should demand all of this changes. Maybe they should demand that anyone caught doing heinous crimes gets kicked out (and charged), not relocated to a place they can commit more crimes.

I feel worse for the kids who were treated as liabilities for the disgusting crimes of those entrusted.

I don't feel bad for someone offended by a joke.

posted on Mar, 13 2019 @ 10:01 AM
link   
SNL should not be made to apologize.

Screw the Catholic church like they screw kids. Bunch of corrupt, sick, twisted bastards
edit on 13 3 19 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2019 @ 10:03 AM
link   

It's right up there with the old flag burning joke.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join