It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any Pro Web Developers Around?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2019 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Any kind hearted fellow ATS'ers proficient in PHP/SQL out there, I need assistance with something if you have a minute?

posted on Mar, 9 2019 @ 05:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Zcustosmorum

Generally for anyone to know if they have the answer they need to know the actual question first...

Just sayin.

posted on Mar, 9 2019 @ 05:29 PM
link   
To add to OP's question. If there are indeed some lurking around here; an actual thread with some links, resources or guides to website development would be awesome.

edit on 9-3-2019 by DoctorX11 because: Typo OCD

posted on Mar, 9 2019 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Repeat post. My B.
edit on 9-3-2019 by DoctorX11 because: eh

posted on Mar, 9 2019 @ 05:35 PM
link   

I haven't worked with PHP/SQL since I switched to React/NoSQL, but I can try.

What's the problem?

Stack Overflow is a better bet for getting help though especially since you can use the code editor to organize your code for debugging and others can use your work to make a working solution all within the thread.

posted on Mar, 9 2019 @ 05:48 PM
link   
a reply to: DoctorX11

Guides depend on which area you want to go into. Web development is a pretty large umbrella.

If you're just starting out, I'd say look into ReactJS, Vue and Angular 2 for your front-end framework. Most people don't actually need a database and a Single-Page App can all be done using a front-end framework. The tricky part comes in how/where to host.

If you don't want to do any serious coding then a CMS like Joomla or Wordpress is simple enough and you can rely on *shudder* plugins. But beware...plugins can be a huge, giant, INCONCEIVABLE pain in the @$%^

Wix, square space, etc are the devil not because they allow anyone to make a website but because they make people who use them think they're web developers.
Is there an area you're specifically interested in? Mobile? Websites?

posted on Mar, 9 2019 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Not going to ask the question direct on the thread, and I've had a few beers now, no I won't even attempt PHP/SQL under the influence

Ok, have messaged all the problem, bunch of kudos to who gets close

edit on -216002019-03-09T18:26:52-06:000000005231201952032019Sat, 09 Mar 2019 18:26:52 -0600 by Zcustosmorum because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2019 @ 06:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zcustosmorum
Not going to ask the question direct on the thread, and I've had a few beers now, no I won't even attempt PHP/SQL under the influence

Ok, have messaged all the problem, bunch of kudos to who gets close

~sigh~

That's not how it works though.

There are many many people on this site who would be willing to help and have the experience to do so.

But they are not going to post on this thread asking you what the question is because they might not know, it might not be possible, they need to know the question.

As far as sending a PM, that's all well and good.

I go through mine at the end of the month....

posted on Mar, 9 2019 @ 06:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

I said no worries man, it's cool

posted on Mar, 9 2019 @ 06:46 PM
link   

I was trying to help, is all.

There are a few really good PHP/SQL people I know that are just waking up overseas.

Perhaps if you asked the question on the thread they could help you.

posted on Mar, 9 2019 @ 06:52 PM
link   

No doubt, there's prob many answers and the solutions, but being specific to the question, either someone who's more of an expert than me will know, or they don't.

And Stack Overflow is good, but there's a hell of a lot of crap on there also

posted on Mar, 9 2019 @ 07:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zcustosmorum

And Stack Overflow is good, but there's a hell of a lot of crap on there also

Truer words are rarely spoken lol

posted on Mar, 9 2019 @ 07:24 PM
link   
a reply to: wtfatta

Information based websites, climateviewer.org... is a good example. Though slightly different, similar to what I'm trying to achieve

posted on Mar, 9 2019 @ 09:27 PM
link   

I code in PHP5.6+. Work in rdbms for mysql 5.5+, mssql 2008 r2 + (certified) and sybase asa 9 - 16. Plenty of MVC experience, including yii framework. Most of my work is in interfacing via RESTful APl, data transformation for import/export, and reporting. Im familiar with ssrs (also code in vb/vb.net) and koolreport for php.

posted on Mar, 9 2019 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Systems like that are tricky and more complicated than any 10 guides could cover.

In general, they follow the MVC (Model, View, Controller) style; however, assuming you want to stay relevant, I would research ReactJS as a front-end and then MongoDB and Express for a back-end. These styles are often referred to as MERN (Mongo, Express, React/Redux, Node) or MEAN (Mongo, Express, Angular/Redux, Node)

With the advent of GraphQL and Apollo, REST APIs are on their way out for the most part, and React has reducers built in as hooks on the latest versions, so Redux is 'potentially' on it's way out for React.

I hate Facebook, but damn I love React!

Long story short, in my opinion, PHP/SQL are soon to be dead languages since _javascript has become a client and server-side(ish) language. As for a front-end, it's still a toss up between React, Angular 2, Vue and a couple of stragglers, though it looks like React may win out due to a greater increase in developers (*cough* and it being the better of them all *cough*)

posted on Mar, 9 2019 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Phone reply double-tap

edit on 9-3-2019 by wtfatta because: Technology...

posted on Mar, 9 2019 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Literally i dont think 90% of the users even know wtf a stack overflow means. Occasionally helpful but reading through 50 netxperts opinions is almost more annoying than its worth.

posted on Mar, 9 2019 @ 09:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: drewlander

Occasionally helpful but reading through 50 netxperts opinions is almost more annoying than its worth.

Can't argue with that lol. Thankfully, not every thread is like that, but enough to slow down debugging

posted on Mar, 9 2019 @ 10:11 PM
link   

I dont think php/sql is going anywhere for a very long time, but maybe in your industry. I work in healthcare and dont see graphql taking over any time soon either. Standards are still being developed with schematron for soap. Thats the thing about all these technologies you mention. They are great solutions that are fun to work with, and are often adopted early by better coders who tend to be strong innovators. Certain industries are always slow to adapt. If i were to take up a new language today though, it would be python.
edit on 9-3-2019 by drewlander because: (no reason given)

I have to edit because i missed your comment about switching to nosql. You are definitely in a different industry than me. I deal with tons of micro data and design around OLTP. What type of industry are you in?
edit on 9-3-2019 by drewlander because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2019 @ 11:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: drewlander

I dont think php/sql is going anywhere for a very long time, but maybe in your industry. I work in healthcare and dont see graphql taking over any time soon either.

Along with other points in your response, I agree with this one as well and is a more accurate representation of php, etc as a whole.

Considering how far behind some places are and the side issues around the potential 1024 GPS problem, PHP won't die any time soon. Even though it's been a year since I worked with it, I still find myself trying to use simple PHP functions in JavaScript
PHP just has a better way for some things.

I also agree that Python is definitely worth it, but for someone just getting into programming and having no clear direction, Python might be a little intense while _javascript is used in some fashion pretty much everywhere.

I'm primarily in website/web app development though I dabble in app development on android.

React and React-native give me the ability to write for either-or which is one of the reasons I'm so drawn to it lol.

I'm in the middle of building a personal media management program similar to Netflix using digital copies of movies I've purchased over the years. I have so many, I decided that I needed a full-stack web app so I can just log in to a personal wifi from my phone or computer and bam...I can filter, search, etc all exactly how i want it without relying on someone else's movie/tv show API.

I assume your work with the OLTP is all in the security/backend of things? I don't have much experience in the nitty gritty of OLTP. Are there any relational DB requests like checking the validity of the current user against the data in the DB or is it mainly encrypted tokens, etc with little or no DB requests?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join