It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

kopi lewak today!!.... lets talk coffee in general

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2019 @ 10:25 AM
link   
I have been wanting to try Kopi Lewak for a long time now.
never expected to like it. just wanted to say i had the most expensive coffee in the world.

my wife got me enough to make 1 pot for valentines day. i have been sick and didnt want to mess with the flavor so i waited until today to have it.

it was pretty good. i used this as an excuse to buy a grinder and a french press.

the kopi definitely tastes better than your low end whatever brands. very smooth.
definitely not worth the cash. i am glad i tried it.

i like trying new exotic type stuff.

now to coffee in general.

i have bought 3 different types of whole bean in the past week.
from ethiopia
brazil
sumatra

they all taste very good. price point about 7-10 dollars for 10-14 oz.

i think the use of the french press and the grinding of the whole bean is what makes a difference. i am not a high level coffee drinker but i would question if coffee that is twice or three times as much tastes a lot better.
i would think probably not.

i feel like its all about the press and the beans.
you lose a lot of flavor with a paper filter we all know that.

but the beans man. you can tell the difference when you see your grind. there is still a oil factor to it.
at the bottom of the cup there is almost like a light layer of 'sludge'

you do not get this with pre ground beans.

what do you all drink?
ever had kopi?

what is your favorite bean?

posted on Feb, 24 2019 @ 10:43 AM
link   
I buy Hills Brothers original blend, a 26 oz can runs about five to six bucks on sale. Then we get some coffee from a friend who has beans sent in from places around the world, it is great coffee, but kind of expensive, it costs about twenty bucks for a bag, I am not sure what size the bag is, maybe twenty four ounces or so. If I mix about four tablespoons of that great coffee in with the Hills Bros, it is really good. The coffee he buys, roasts, and grinds is really really great, but I hate getting spoiled. If we have company over, sometimes I will make the straight great coffee. I like the guatamala coffee of his the best, that he does medium roasted. Some of his blends are fermented, others aren't. I do not think the guatamala beans are fermented.

It is nice having great coffee as a treat, but often people make great things everyday events. Then where do you go from there, the goal post only goes so high and the higher the goal post, eventually you will suffer if you do it every time.

I'll stick to my Hills Brothers, enriched sometimes, not enriched others. I like a treat once in a while, I do not want to get hooked on overpriced things. You can get hooked on great coffee just like you get addicted to coc aine, you become dependent on the taste.

posted on Feb, 24 2019 @ 10:49 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

i dont think if i got to the more expensive stuff i would even be able to tell the difference.
8 bucks for 12 ounces of whole beans is not too bad.

even if the crazy expensive beans were so much better i am with you. i dont need to be drinking the best stuff every day.

plus these days there are so many different brands out there.
i am hard pressed to believe there is a major difference with them all.

i mean there might be and i just cant taste it.

posted on Feb, 24 2019 @ 10:52 AM
link   
The best coffee I ever had came from a five pound bag of Ethiopian beans (smallish beans) I found at a salvage grocery for seven bucks. I still have a little of that.

My "daily driver" coffee is New Orleans style, with chicory, and I add cocoa, cinnamon and cardamon. I call it my "Five-C" beverage, made up in a French Press.

posted on Feb, 24 2019 @ 10:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Lazarus Short

i got this bag of Ethiopian at target.
pretty good.

the bag on the right was wal mart.
thats really good as well

posted on Feb, 24 2019 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Yeah, try to get freshly roasted, too. Sometimes the bag of beans has a roasting date on it. The sooner it is to that date, the fresher the roast, the more flavorful to coffee.

But yeah, I’m not drinking a coffee that comes from a cat’s ass.

posted on Feb, 24 2019 @ 11:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: MadLad
Yeah, try to get freshly roasted, too. Sometimes the bag of beans has a roasting date on it. The sooner it is to that date, the fresher the roast, the more flavorful to coffee.

But yeah, I’m not drinking a coffee that comes from a cat’s ass.

it was pretty good

i would drink it again.
not buying it again though so its not happening

posted on Feb, 24 2019 @ 11:11 AM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

Sorry to tell you this but that is not the most expensive cup of coffee, if you want the most expensive then you got to shell out 500 for a pound of black ivory.

posted on Feb, 24 2019 @ 11:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Muninn

Sorry to tell you this but that is not the most expensive cup of coffee, if you want the most expensive then you got to shell out 500 for a pound of black ivory.

never heard of it before.

ill check that out

posted on Feb, 24 2019 @ 11:13 AM
link   

I have tasted many brands of coffee from the stores, even the organic store here. I do not like starbucks coffee at all, I do not like anything at all in my coffee other than sugar and milk, and only a little of both. We make our coffee about half as strong as it says on the can, both the wife and I like it that way, so does my brother and his wife. I think it is too strong if you make it like the can says. I drink five or six cups of coffee each day, if I were to drink strong coffee, my stomach gets weird if I drink more than a cup. It is way too strong to be sipping on. Also we do not buy dark roast or light roast coffee at all anymore, neither of us like that stuff, too burnt of a flavor one way and too bitter the other way. Light roast also contains more caffeine, dark roast has more acrylamides which are sort of pungent or something, I can't explain the taste, it reminds me of bitter unsweetened dark chocolate...roasted too much.

posted on Feb, 24 2019 @ 11:16 AM
link   
naturally refined by elephants

$85 for 36 grams

damn

good thing my birthday is on a couple weeks

thanks man

posted on Feb, 24 2019 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Volcanic coffee company is a good online co, they have a great pure Kona at 100 per pound and if you are into dark roast try their komodo dragon at 25 a pound, I like to use a burr grinder set at course if using a French press.

Coffee mmmm

posted on Feb, 24 2019 @ 11:17 AM
link   

French Press is the way to go. I loved mine till I broke the glass. Now I'm using a keurig and the difference is immense.

Freshly ground coffee in a French Press can't be beat IMO.

I had some coffee in Acapulco way back, before it became a sh%=hole. It must have had chicory or something in it. It was light but flavorful, unlike any other coffee I've had. Wish I had asked what was in it. It was perfect for starting your morning.
edit on 24-2-2019 by pavil because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2019 @ 11:20 AM
link   
i always heard that the press was the way to go and just kind of dismissed it.

its true though.
major difference

posted on Feb, 24 2019 @ 11:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: pavil

French Press is the way to go. I loved mine till I broke the glass. Now I'm using a keurig and the difference is immense.

If you are looking for a decent machine try the ninja coffee bar.

posted on Feb, 24 2019 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Nah, I'm going to get another Press. It's so much better than any other method and it's not hard to do.

posted on Feb, 24 2019 @ 11:31 AM
link   

The boy got me some Black Rifle coffee and a press for Christmas. The wife got me a grinder. Pretty good stuff. The press does seem to make a big difference for taste. I don't have time in the morning to do the press though. Love it on the weekend.

edit on 24-2-2019 by Tarzan the apeman. because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2019 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Kona coffee from Hawaii is my favorite. I also like Blue Mountain from Jamaica. The bean's origin is important but so is the roast. For my everyday coffee I use Bustello.

posted on Feb, 24 2019 @ 11:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Tarzan the apeman.

i was going to get some big brown from them but its out of my price point.

posted on Feb, 24 2019 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Nah, I'm going to get another Press. It's so much better than any other method and it's not hard to do.

Get a pour over. That’s the way to make a good coffee.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join