It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why doesn't the US have a high speed rail system

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2019 @ 05:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Erm... Not even close to liberal, but if it floats your boat to name call, feel free.

My "pals" and I, liberal or otherwise, just enjoy traveling. Airports are becoming a hassle. I have taken the Amtrak from Mattoon, IL to Chicago for day shopping trips and sight seeing several times. Loads of fun and an easy commute. I can just walk into the Amtrak station and board with very little waiting or hassle.

I do understand the politics and lack of funds that would hold the project up. And frankly, I think that really sucks for the American people.

posted on Feb, 17 2019 @ 06:05 PM
link   
a reply to: ownbestenemy

No, I actually get it unfortunately. I know that few people have a need to travel from large city to large city on a consistent basis. I understand that it isn't truly feasible for America at this time. However, I would really love to see it here and take advantage of it. I would love to hop on in Nashville and be in NY in 10 hours on a Friday and be back by Sunday night. The ease of the rail station is what hooks me.
Granted, it wouldn't always be as easy as it is now after people start taking bombs and guns on it I'm sure. I guess I'm just day dreaming about making my travel plans easier and faster.

posted on Feb, 17 2019 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Distance from London to Paris: About 300 miles.
Distance from Seattle to Spokane: About 300 miles.

What's the issue here? It's apples and oranges.

posted on Feb, 17 2019 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Best or worst of both worlds.

Flyn Train

posted on Feb, 17 2019 @ 06:21 PM
link   
If we look a little bit further back in time and with a little bit broader of a view, these are all answers describing symptoms of the disease.

America has been a capitalistic experiment for almost a century now, using the accumulated research and elitist social manipulation skills accumulated from centuries prior.

Giving people more freedom while making them pay more heavily for it than they would without that freedom is practically what America became 'great' on.

edit on 17-2-2019 by DoctorX11 because: PS I dont say America being 'great' sarcastically, its truly a remarkable country with unprecedented success across the board.

posted on Feb, 17 2019 @ 07:54 PM
link   
As the population continues to increase they will become necessary. At that time land will cost even more.

posted on Feb, 17 2019 @ 07:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
Distance from London to Paris: About 300 miles.
Distance from Seattle to Spokane: About 300 miles.

What's the issue here? It's apples and oranges.

China has completed the world's longest bullet train, it's 1400 miles,
just shy of the width of the US.

apples and apples.

posted on Feb, 19 2019 @ 03:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme
a reply to: MerkabaTribeEntity

Wouldn't a high speed train be for long distance travel? Would it be used as transportation around a city?

Good call, lol

These vandals even deface large rocks in the middle of the desert.

Those people grind my gears.

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 09:59 AM
link   
twitter.com...

Link to President Trumps Twitter.

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 10:18 AM
link   
It's definitely possible. Why the US doesn't do it is beyond me. I know I would travel more if I could catch a train to major cities.

There have been talks for 10 years on building a rail system from Chicago - South Bend - Fort Wayne - Lima - Columbus, OH. I wish they would do it, I would most likely use it if it was safe and affordable. The cities would benefit from travel/tourism. Could be added on to by whatever major city wanted to invest in it.

posted on Feb, 20 2019 @ 04:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

Your post reminded me of another aspect often overlooked with the US rail system. In Europe passenger services are priority over freight where here in the US its reversed. Our rail network was based on freight and as such passenger rail traffic has to wait on freight traffic. The US rail system is also not owned by the US Government like it is some some European countries.

All 1 has to do is search for train reviews on youtube. You will find people who record their journeys and the videos include cross country rail service via Amtrack. As you will see accommodations arent the best (whoever designed the cabins with the toilets located in the main cabin with no separate restroom should be shot - nothing like converting your seat into a bed with your head next to the toilet).

Finally the US population prefers the freedom a car provides when it comes to traveling.
edit on 20-2-2019 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2019 @ 04:45 AM
link   
High-Speed rail in Sicily, according to the Italian PM is strategic, and indeed it's a very good idea.
I can't wait for it to be completed. Once the track is opened for passenger traffic, I'll fly there, just for the sake of getting a ride in that train !

... I am sure that will be cool ...

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join