It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ground collision between two aircraft at Nairobi Airport (pics)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Yesterday Two aircrafts collided on the ground at Nairobi Airport. Two Nairobi Airways ERJ-190 sustained heavy damage when one of them jumped the chocks while doing a "Ground Run" (I don't know what that is) . The formerly chocked plane with crew tried avoiding a hanger, However They hit another parked ERJ-190...
No word of any injuries.

Embraer ERJ-190
E190: US$50.6 million

50.6 mil.
50.6 + = 101.2 (fixed🙄) Whoppers if both air deemed permanently un-airworthy. It will buff out Just kidding, they will get repaired. It just looks really really bad.
www.aviation24.be...

~Pictures from David Maina Ndung’u

edit on 10-2-2019 by Bigburgh because: CHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESE MMMMMMMMMM 🧀

edit on 10-2-2019 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 06:35 PM
link   
A ground run is bringing the engines up to takeoff thrust. Actually called a run-up.

No worries, Llyods will cover it.

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 06:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
A ground run is bringing the engines up to takeoff thrust. Actually called a run-up.

No worries, Llyods will cover it.

Thank you very much Phage.

Edit: Lloyds😆

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 06:52 PM
link   
They make duct tape in all those colors for just that reason.

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Looks like the pitot tube ripped it something good alongside the front nose of the silver plane.

Ouch!

I saw an airman in the 94th weapons flight drive a full loaf of Aim-7's into the side of an f15.

Their Master Seargant ripped them all at formation for about 2 hours and then a crew came to take pictures.

I remember my expediter saying something along the lines of, "that's not going to weed out _________(name of airman)".

And he recovered from it and was allowed to stay in with a LoR.

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Proceed to the next next..
Double trip'ol post

link   
ATS jet lag.
Double

link   

originally posted by: mikell
They make duct tape in all those colors for just that reason.

Yeah they do but.. Woooops!👍😆

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 07:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Tempter

I'm going with frame 4/7 the Embraer on the right as the culprit.

I was told never touch them..
Something about the pitot being heated.

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 08:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh
Its good practice to always pull the pitot breakers before playing with them. Lest you burn your fingers or you end up smelling burning plastic as the pitot covers get BBQ'd on.

Someone should get fired for this though. Clearly it was just chocked without the park brake applied. And I'm guessing by the fact it impacted another aircraft so quickly that it was not in an approved run bay. There's a reason run bays are kept separate from hardstand parking wherever possible.

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Like that new triple 7....777 in Asia jumped a short wall running em up

Now...at Boeing they ran up at Paine Field pointed in a clear direction......

Where does common sense go...Naw I'm wrong....guess it could happen to anyone....

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 08:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Like that new triple 7....777 in Asia jumped a short wall running em up
No I think you are thinking of the brand new Etihad A340-600 that was doing acceptance tests by the airline at the factory in Toulouse. Yet another case of an idiot in the cockpit who failed to ensure the aircraft park brake was set and run bay chocks fitted.

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 08:47 PM
link   
a reply to: thebozeian

Its good practice to always pull the pitot breakers before playing with them. Lest you burn your fingers or you end up smelling burning plastic as the pitot covers get BBQ'd on. 

Rule #1, never ever touch the pitot unless it's causing a fire. In which case the batteries get cut if it can be accessed. suppress it with water/foam. Call the mechanic 👍😊

edit on 10-2-2019 by Bigburgh because: String cheese theory👍

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 08:49 PM
link   
a reply to: GBP/JPY

Missed those, holy cow!

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 10:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh

Brand new 777 pulls up to a 3 foot wall drop and runs em up with the electric parking brake set then hits the electric bus reset button......my heart goes out.....I saw all the new 777s go to their new owners for a year or two......we were out on the line.....where they do the first run up
edit on 10-2-2019 by GBP/JPY because: IN THE FINE TEXAS TRADITION

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 10:30 PM
link   
I was just going to bring that up. They had to write off an brand new A340. Yikes

posted on Feb, 11 2019 @ 07:28 AM
link   
a reply to: GBP/JPY

777 so huge and WHAT!
((Drops jaw)) Oh my! Wonder if in those incidents that the aircraft becomes a "Lemon" or "Jinxed" in some way. Seen many of the Same (singular) aircraft always springing a leak of either hydraulic fluid or oil ( kitty litter works well ). Gets repaired and it happens again.

Thanks for sharing

posted on Feb, 11 2019 @ 07:57 AM
link   
a reply to: FredT

You should've

That's one expensive write off😨( lol.. I know you're a busy person in your profession and time isn't always available )😉

Look at the variant cost...

Unit cost
A340-200: US$105M (1992)[4]($187.5M today)A340-300: US$238.0M (2011)[5] ($265.1M today)A340-500: US$261.8M (2011)[5] ($291.6M today)A340-600: US$275.4M (2011)[5] ($306.7M today)

edit on 11-2-2019 by Bigburgh because: Oh I love cheese

posted on Feb, 11 2019 @ 08:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bigburgh
a reply to: Tempter

I'm going with frame 4/7 the Embraer on the right as the culprit.

I was told never touch them..
Something about the pitot being heated.

Yes, they are heated as part of the anti-ice/deice system. And they are hot-wired so that if the master battery switch is on, it is hot-very hot. There are circuit breakers you can pull to de-energize the system.

posted on Feb, 11 2019 @ 01:58 PM
link   
a reply to: F4guy

Thank you very much, I was having a brainfart when I posted the above.😥
Phage and Thebozeian answered and you explained it better.
We always cut the wires if accessible depending on whether or not of the severity of the call.
ARFF training we'd smack the students hands off the pitot.

I miss it. I did manage to keep the books and PowerPoint on a 737 and 757. I should dust them off and refresh my memory 😊 ( retired now however ).
Local 1038 station 100.....

top topics

<<   2 >>

join