It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Physicists Send Particles Of Light Into The Past Time Travel Into Past Has Been Proved Possible

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2019 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Ok so I have been looking around at some interesting quantum field theory and how it may interact with time. I came across an interesting and amazing find related to time traveling into the past proof of concept. Scientists sent a particle back in time through a wormhole to interact with itself. BOOM drops the mic walks off stage!

Anywhoo I am very interested in this spooky science and how the mastery of quantum fields may one day give people the ability to travel into the past.

I believe that we could also send a message into the past with this type of technology.
The mind wonders at all the marvelous knowledge that the science of using wormholes and time travel could bring our civilization.

Here is their experiment.
In it they are simulating a quantum particle but use light instead to represent a quantum state which interacts unitarily with an older version of itself.

www.nature.com...
Experimental simulation of closed timelike curves

mindfoster.co...
Some physicists are convinced that time travel is possible. A group of scientists from the University of Queensland, Australia, have simulated how time-travelling photons might behave; suggesting that, at the quantum level, the grandfather paradox – which makes time travel impossible – could be resolved. The study used photons – single particles of light – to simulate quantum particles travelling back through time. By studying their behavior, the scientists revealed possible strange aspects of modern physics.

“The properties of quantum particles are ‘fuzzy’ or uncertain to start with, so this gives them enough wiggle room to avoid inconsistent time travel situations. Our study provides insights into where and how nature might behave differently from what our theories predict,” said co-author Professor Timothy Ralph.

In the simulation, the researchers examined the behavior of a photon traveling through time and interacting with its older self. In their experiment they made use of the closely related, fictitious, case where the photon travels through normal space-time and interacts with another photon that is stuck in a time-travelling loop through a wormhole, known as a closed timelike curve (CTC). Simulating the behavior of this second photon, they were able to study the behavior of the first – and the results show that consistent evolutions can be achieved when preparing the second photon in just the right way.

edit on 9-2-2019 by FormOfTheLord because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2019 @ 03:11 PM
link   
a reply to: FormOfTheLord

Do you have a link to the source?

posted on Feb, 9 2019 @ 03:13 PM
link   
I can't get my head round this. I mean, how did they make sure that it went to the same location it was in before it was sent back in time?

posted on Feb, 9 2019 @ 03:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: djz3ro
I can't get my head round this. I mean, how did they make sure that it went to the same location it was in before it was sent back in time?

This was just an academic study; a simulation of how particles might interact. It is not real.

posted on Feb, 9 2019 @ 03:17 PM
link   
If they did..... would we know it ? Kill your Grandfather thing...

posted on Feb, 9 2019 @ 03:21 PM
link   
simplecapacity.com... is this the source? S&F THUMBS UP
edit on 9-2-2019 by Plotus because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-2-2019 by Plotus because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2019 @ 03:21 PM
link   
mindfoster.co...
Physicists Send Particles Of Light Into The Past

Here it be!

posted on Feb, 9 2019 @ 03:24 PM
link   
a reply to: djz3ro

It's a simulation.

posted on Feb, 9 2019 @ 03:28 PM
link   

In the simulation, the researchers examined the behavior of a photon traveling through time and interacting with its older self. In their experiment they made use of the closely related, fictitious, case

Zero time travelling occurred.

posted on Feb, 9 2019 @ 03:34 PM
link   
www.nature.com...
Experimental simulation of closed timelike curves

Here is their experiment.

In it they are simulating a quantum particle but use light instead to represent a quantum state which interacts unitarily with an older version of itself.

posted on Feb, 9 2019 @ 03:39 PM
link   
So, if its possible why hasn't it happened yet ?

its the same principle as when Stephen Hawking held that party for time travellers and nobody turned up.

posted on Feb, 9 2019 @ 03:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: dug88

In the simulation, the researchers examined the behavior of a photon traveling through time and interacting with its older self. In their experiment they made use of the closely related, fictitious, case

OK YOUR right... But is it a reliable supposition of fact ? Would that in fact be the scenario ? Anything for ? or against ?

posted on Feb, 9 2019 @ 03:46 PM
link   
I believe in forward and backward time travel but with information only at this point I time. The government prolly has it but does not disclose it because then they would lose their edge and every country would try for it.

I also believe the government has a theory of everything but does not say because look what happened with Einstein's discoveries creating the nukes that make some lose sleep at night.

I believe we know everything but if all was disclosed then even the dumbest individual could destroy the Earth if they have a bad day. We just have to grow as a species and figure out how to stop psychopaths that want to see the world burn.

posted on Feb, 9 2019 @ 04:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: pteridine

originally posted by: djz3ro

This was just an academic study; a simulation of how particles might interact. It is not real.

This I believe. I believe they think they can BS people into believing they can do things that aren't probable so they can get more funding for their research.

posted on Feb, 9 2019 @ 04:27 PM
link   
title is wrong.

captain picard also 'traveled back in time' theoretically.
he did it all the time.
the last episode was amazing, him and Q traveling thru three different time periods to save the universe.

so you could also post a thread saying, 'captain picard travels thru three time periods to save the known universe.'

posted on Feb, 9 2019 @ 04:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Plotus

originally posted by: dug88

OK YOUR right... But is it a reliable supposition of fact ? Would that in fact be the scenario ? Anything for ? or against ?

Nothing really either way, they made up a bunch of stuff based on math and what sounds like fiction and i'm guessing used a computer to do some things based on that. So....nothing.

made use of the closely related, fictitious, case

Their simulation is literally based on fiction.
edit on 9/2/2019 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2019 @ 05:05 PM
link   

I should have known by your screen name alone that you had no idea what you had just read. This is stupid.
edit on 9-2-2019 by Woodcarver because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2019 @ 05:46 PM
link   
You mean to tell me..

FormOfTheLord intentionally misled readers with a false post title to get views, stars, flags and replies?

Posts a link to an article after a summary of their interest in Quantum Physics to a simulation of Physicists doing what was claimed that they actually did in the OP's title.. says time travel has been proven in title yet readily admits that it's a simulation.. acts like they knew it was a simulation and intentionally shared it because they think it's interesting..

posted on Feb, 9 2019 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Just another lesson on how false news gains legs. The articles that were cited all say that it was accomplished and the first paragraph in each said it was a simulation. Absolutely bogus. If you are going to quote something that important, just friggin read it first.

posted on Feb, 9 2019 @ 06:48 PM
link   

I can't say I completely understood the Nature article. I did understand this though: it was a simulation. As such, it only illustrated a concept. It proved nothing.

Discussion

Quantum simulation is a versatile and powerful tool for investigating quantum systems that are hard or even impossible to access in practice20. Although no CTCs have been discovered to date, quantum simulation nonetheless enables us to study their unique properties and behaviour.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join