It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Frank Robinson

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Frank Robinson died today. He was my first childhood hero. I was a Cincinnati Reds fan as a young boy and followed his career. I never knew there was an American league till he was traded to the Orioles.
I am saddened by the news and want to acknowledge his impact on my life. He showed tremendous courage throughout his career. A great man on and off the field.

www.cbssports.com...

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Robinson, the only player to earn the MVP award in both leagues, died Thursday at 83. He had been in failing health and in hospice care at his home in Bel Air. MLB said he was with family and friends at the time.

"Frank Robinson's resume in our game is without parallel, a trailblazer in every sense, whose impact spanned generations," Commissioner Rob Manfred said in a statement.

Robinson hit 586 home runs — he was fourth on the career list behind only Hank Aaron, Babe Ruth and Willie Mays when he retired and now ranks 10th. An MVP with Cincinnati and Baltimore, he won the Triple Crown while leading the Orioles to their first World Series championship in 1966.

An All-Star outfielder in 12 seasons and a first-ballot selection to Cooperstown, Robinson also was a Rookie of the Year and picked up a Gold Glove.

abcnews.go.com - Hall of Famer, pioneering manager Frank Robinson dies at 83.

That was what he did on the field! Then he became a manager... while an active player! A homer off the Yankees sealed him in the Hall of Fame. The wins mounted and everybody knew who Frank Robinson was!

Sorry to hear he was in ill health. Sorry about his passing. My deepest respects to his family and friends, and, to all the people who saw this living legend, either in person, or, like me, on TV...

RIP

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 04:27 PM
link   
I remember his unique batting stance. He would stand with his left arm high almost covering his eyes.
Found out he did this because he was one of the most thrown at players of that era. He was protecting his face!

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 06:36 PM
link   
A true hero and legendary athlete and person. May his afterlife be as amazing as he was!

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 06:37 PM
link   
a reply to: xizd1
My condolences to the family. He was indeed a great man.

new topics

top topics

join