It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

VR Device Study Input Request

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 12:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

That's a feature implemented in software.

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Yes , it is the video adapter that renders RTRT
But , the device has to be able to accept from the video drivers through the OS and game/application
Else , you get normal fixed ray tracing.
Recall 3D vision

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 12:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

Do you have one of the 20 serious Nvidia GPU?

If so just wondering how you find it, or if there are significant major graphical improvements where these new real-time ray-tracing features are concerned?

I've got a GTX1070 the now, thinking about upgrading to 2060 or more lightly 2070 around July, just trying to get the lay of the land where this new GPU are concerned.

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 12:38 PM
link   
a reply to: hombero

I would not worry where the experience is concerned.

People can tell you about VR, but the real deal is a rather more of a personal affair altogether.

It's quite cool in the extreme.

Not really something that can be conveyed via words.

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 01:56 PM
link   
I own a Samsung Odyssey HMD, which is acceptable. It works with SteamVR and Windows Mixed Reality. It has a display resolution of 2160 X 1600 with 110 degree FOV. This resolution is a little grainy as in some noticeable screen door effect.

In the future, I would like to see higher display resolution. 4k or greater would be a start in eliminating graininess. Higher refresh rate, ie. 120 Hz. Higher display response time, 2ms or less. I am not thinking wireless is a that good of an option because of limited battery life. A wider FOV would be welcome. All while maintaining a bright display.
edit on 2-2-2019 by eManym because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 02:05 PM
link   
a reply to: eManym

Probably take multiple GPU with the software ta boot to run any VR headsets with the specs you suggest at the moment.

Not that i don't agree.

I think functional tactile feedback gloves will be the next big thing where VR is concerned.

With the kind of immersion the technology allows the user to experience vibrating controllers just does not cut it where manipulation of objects in the 3d environment is concerned.

We need to be able to touch and manipulate things in the same or similar manner we do with our hands else its just not convincing.

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 06:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake
a reply to: interupt42

AAA titles might be nice.

Games like Halo and Goldeneye sold the xbone and n64 back in the day and those were £300-400 a pop.

Trouble on the PC end is the cost of the additional system required to run the headsets.

No matter how good any new AAA title is, not many people are willing to shell out the better part of £1500 to play.

I wasnt talking about games. More along the hardware not being there yet. Gaming will likely be a small subset of VR once hardware gets there.

Virtual offices , virtual weekend getways, virtual socializing, virtual movies with friends around the world, medical applications, treatment, etc. The list and potential is endless.

There are a lot of apps that do those things now but not effectively, seamlessly, and frustration free.

The tech is fun and good but jas not reached game chager levels yet.

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 06:31 PM
link   
a reply to: interupt42

Agreed that there are a lot of apps that do those things now but not effectively nor seamlessly.

As to the tech, well it's only in its infancy from a commercial or home use standpoint.

Game wise, and have grown up with the likes of the ZX Spectrum, Commodore 64 and Amiga before PC, i would say it is indeed a game changer in the extreme.

Lets just say we have come a long way from the likes of parallax scrolling side shooters to where we are today and in a relatively short space of time.

Also agreed that there are far greater applications to be had where VR is concerned other than just entertainment purpose, but that's where the big monies will be, to begin with, just because we like shiny things that glow.

edit on 2-2-2019 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2019 @ 04:32 PM
link   
I find it fascinating that one can visit places like Machu Picchu and other locations with VR. I made a good investment with my setup.
edit on 3-2-2019 by eManym because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2019 @ 09:36 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 30 2019 @ 10:17 AM
link   
I have a HTC vive.

Some sort of facial cooling system would be great.
Perhaps cooling gel in the pad that fits over your face.

Also just better controls.

Skyrim on the HTC is great, but the controls are hard to get used to and is the one thing that has stopped me from living more in skyrim than the real world.

A facial cooling system is really the biggest need though.

I know this thread is almost 2 months old, but I had to put my 2 cents in. VR is great!
The software just needs to catch up a little. The games are lacking at the moment, however they are coming around finally. NoMan's Sky goes VR this summer.

It will probably be the best flight sim out so far for VR.

posted on Mar, 31 2019 @ 10:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Darkblade71

Thanks Darkblade, and to everyone else who took time to respond. I had a great experience doing the study, unfortunately I can't talk about it except in general terms. Your input was all helpful and I can assure you that the company takes the suggestions and requests very seriously. It's obviously a complicated and well-thought out process of creating a VR headset that will stand out from previous version AND work great for everyone's needs.

<< 1   >>

join