It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

VR Device Study Input Request

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2019 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Hello ATS members!

In less than 2 weeks I will be taking part in a virtual reality headset device study, and will get a chance to use some un-released hardware being developed by a major company. A non-disclosure agreement is in effect, so I can't say anything about the hardware itself at this time. If any of you currently have VR headsets or have used them in the past, I would welcome any input you have for improvements or features that could be implemented in the hardware I'll be testing. In other words, what would make using a VR headset a better experience for you? Suggestions should focus primarily on the hardware aspects of VR headsets, but I also welcome input regarding software.

It will be exciting to have a direct impact on an upcoming device, and there is a good chance that one or more suggestions will be part of the consumer release version!

Thank you!
-Seattlerat

posted on Feb, 1 2019 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Rift owner here.

I can think of 4 main things that will push the experience further.
Listed in order of importance to me.

1 - higher resolution
2 - larger field of view
3 - better lenses
4 - higher refresh rate

Wireless would also be a nice upgrade but not a deal breaker for me.

posted on Feb, 1 2019 @ 04:48 PM
link   
a reply to: seattlerat

I have an oculus GO and a PSVR

Only thing i'd say is the battery life isn't great on the GO....

the PSVR headset isn't comfortable... crushes your head a bit...

Pretty sure it will just gather dust once the quest is released

posted on Feb, 1 2019 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Not making me throw up playing Skyrim would help!

posted on Feb, 1 2019 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Better FOV for most applications - or the ability to adjust it.
Resolution. - I can’t stand being able to see pixels. Kills the immersion for me.
I don’t mind wired. Usually you can depend on a wired device more,
But wireless with higher refresh rates would be great.

Edit to add: Kaiju covered it with their comment.
edit on 1-2-2019 by Macenroe82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2019 @ 06:27 PM
link   
a reply to: PhyllidaDavenport

Don't you just love jumping off of rocks or a cliff and feel your stomach drop, while you are sitting down? Glorious. I love taking the headset off after a few hours and trying to get use to reality again. Kind of cool.

I have to echo Macenroe82 here, better resolution would be fantastic.

ETA:
I have heard that if you place a fan in front of you blowing air, it greatly helps with motion sickness. Something about tricking the mind into more sensory input that makes you believe you are actually moving, meshing with the visual experience.

edit on 1-2-2019 by ClovenSky because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2019 @ 07:22 PM
link   
I have a Gear VR. It's an older one so I don't know if some of these problems have been addressed.

Fogging. I like to convert my 3D blurays to play on my phone for when I go on weekend trips. Usually within the first 20 min. it starts to fog up. I have to take the set off for it to clear up. Just a minor annoyance.

A built-in passthrough button. Having to go through a menu for a passthrough view is cumbersome. I'm watching a movie or something, I have to lift the headset to get a drink or a cigarette. Another minor annoyance.

Mix it with some brainwave technology like Mattel's Mindflex or NeuroSky's Mindwave. Lot's of possibilities there.

posted on Feb, 1 2019 @ 07:29 PM
link   

I've got an Oculus Rift.

Kids have the PSVR

They are quite literally great.

Feedback is the main contention with VR now.

Need some form of tactile gloves and/or a feedback vest to compliment the experience.

The other problem is space and the fact that you are connected via a cable which can somewhat limit the experience. You can go wireless but the hardware costs an arm and a leg.

To be honest i want an omnidirectional treadmill to eliminate the space issue but they are around £2000 a piece.

All in all, i would say the technology is ready with the software, and to a lesser extent, the hardware to drive VR being still in its infancy.

Pricey but worth it is my assessment.
edit on 1-2-2019 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2019 @ 07:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kaiju
Rift owner here.

I can think of 4 main things that will push the experience further.
Listed in order of importance to me.

1 - higher resolution
2 - larger field of view
3 - better lenses
4 - higher refresh rate

Wireless would also be a nice upgrade but not a deal breaker for me.

This

posted on Feb, 1 2019 @ 07:38 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Dang, I didn't know these were actually in production yet....

posted on Feb, 1 2019 @ 07:44 PM
link   
a reply to: interupt42

AAA titles might be nice.

Games like Halo and Goldeneye sold the xbone and n64 back in the day and those were £300-400 a pop.

Trouble on the PC end is the cost of the additional system required to run the headsets.

No matter how good any new AAA title is, not many people are willing to shell out the better part of £1500 to play.

posted on Feb, 1 2019 @ 07:46 PM
link   
a reply to: ClovenSky

I really want one but my Mrs would skin my nuts.

I'm already a big baby coz i bought myself a rift after playing the weans PSVR.

Im bloody tempted all the same but its February and the couch is freezing this time of year.

posted on Feb, 1 2019 @ 07:53 PM
link   

I hear you. I had kind of given up on gaming for a while, just got bored with it. Treated myself to PSVR within the last month and it has been spectacular. It brings a completely new gaming experience for me. If I really started to invest, I might as well just say sa la vie to reality (outside of work). It is getting really close for me to say screw this world and its problems. Then just start enjoying the ride as I await aging and the ultimate ending.

I wonder how satisfying that would be and how long it would continue before the emptiness set in?
edit on 1-2-2019 by ClovenSky because: ageing=aging

posted on Feb, 1 2019 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Astrobots is the biz on PSVR eh?

What are you playing? Im looking for a half decent title for the kids to experience, because let's face it, its a whole new experience.

What's everyone else playing on the PC side?

Where the games are somewhat easier to, cough, cough, come by, if you know what i mean. LoL

posted on Feb, 1 2019 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Just finished Arizona Sunshine, but it isn't very kid friendly. Farpoint was also great but waaaaay short. Skyrim has been filling the gaps. Gotta continue playing through RE7 & Doom at some point as well.

I hear beat saber is almost at the top and a great game for kids on the PSVR.

posted on Feb, 1 2019 @ 08:04 PM
link   

"I have heard that if you place a fan in front of you blowing air, it greatly helps with motion sickness."

Linus Tech tips perchance?

My thinking is it might help you hit the fan instead of the monitor. LoL

No spacial awareness where actual reality is concerned is another problem, skinned my knuckles and nearly broke a finger hitting an unseen desk whilst playing Creed yesterday. LoL

Mixed reality might help there i suppose, but it would take away from the whole immersion of the VR experience to some extent i suppose.

posted on Feb, 1 2019 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Loving Doom but i don't like this teleport jazz, it in lots of VR titles, just let me use the thumbstick to walks my thinking on the matter.

posted on Feb, 1 2019 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Make sure to implement the Real Time Ray-Tracing

posted on Feb, 1 2019 @ 08:53 PM
link   
may I suggest everyone give "superhot" a try...

Probably one of the best VR games I've played

posted on Feb, 2 2019 @ 12:26 AM
link   

I'm going out on a limb to say you've probably just disqualified yourself from the study by precooking your responses via other people's opinions. Or at least I gaurantee you that you've skewed the results.

I'm assuming they wanted you to use a product you've no experience with for a reason.

Also is this a study or just a beta test

top topics

<<   2 >>

join