It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senator open carries a pistol on to the floor of the Senate.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 03:54 AM
link   
Virginia State Sen. Amanda Chase, arrives at the Capitol on Wednesday, Jan. 9, 2019, openly carrying a .38-caliber revolver strapped to her hip.

She became concerned for her safety Monday after a group of immigration activists confronted her colleague, state Sen. Richard H. Black, over his bill to ban sanctuary cities.
“I’ve had people get in my face. I’ve had people come up and try to touch me inappropriately,” Chase told reporters. “I’ve had threats. I’ve had stalkers since I’ve been in the General Assembly.” Chase insisted she would not “be intimidated by people who would try to physically harm me.”
Chase wore her pistol on the floor of the Virginia state Senate on Tuesday, while presenting two bills in the Senate Privileges and Elections Committee. One was including an alternative to the Equal Rights Amendment resolution, that reaffirms equal protection under the law. She described openly carrying guns as empowering women and even likened it to her own Equal Rights Amendment.

As tensions increase, this will become the norm.
edit on Fri Jan 18 2019 by DontTreadOnMe because: link added dailycaller.com...

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 04:25 AM
link   
Okay, I am a complete idiot and noob in this case, but: is that a safe way to carry a gun if you encounter a group of people who might surround you?

Is it possible to just step behind that woman and pull the gun yourself? Is that an easy step?

Shouldn't she leave protection to the professionals - police forces, bodyguards?

- I am not talking about some rights, laws, etc. This is about openly carrying a gun where you might get into a situation where your gun could be used against yourself because you are not a trained professional in self-defence.
edit on 18 1 2019 by ManFromEurope because: (no reason given)

+3 more 
posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 04:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Violater1

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 04:48 AM
link   

I just naturally assumed it would be a man, I bet she uses Gillette razors

Good on her, wise lady standing up for her beliefs.
She will get some flack

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 04:58 AM
link   
At the state level, Senators don’t get bodyguards or make enough money to hire their own, besides I think the accessories make her a special kind of hot!

It’s winter in Virginia, she was probity wearing a top coat outside the building that covered her weapon. A strong side carry would be much more acceptable than in her handbag. I often carry my .45 on the right side, butt forward, inside my waistband. You get use to it after a few days and it doesn’t show under a sport coat, yet remains very available for quick use.

Part of going armed is being aware, you don’t let anyone get close enough to lift your weapon from behind.

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 05:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nickn3
At the state level, Senators don’t get bodyguards or make enough money to hire their own, besides I think the accessories make her a special kind of hot!

It’s winter in Virginia, she was probity wearing a top coat outside the building that covered her weapon. A strong side carry would be much more acceptable than in her handbag. I often carry my .45 on the right side, butt forward, inside my waistband. You get use to it after a few days and it doesn’t show under a sport coat, yet remains very available for quick use.

Part of going armed is being aware, you don’t let anyone get close enough to lift your weapon from behind.

Okay, so this way to carry a gun isn't safe to be pulled by someone else. Thanks for the info.

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 05:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: ManFromEurope
Okay, I am a complete idiot and noob in this case, but: is that a safe way to carry a gun if you encounter a group of people who might surround you?

Is it possible to just step behind that woman and pull the gun yourself? Is that an easy step?

Shouldn't she leave protection to the professionals - police forces, bodyguards?

- I am not talking about some rights, laws, etc. This is about openly carrying a gun where you might get into a situation where your gun could be used against yourself because you are not a trained professional in self-defence.

You get training and certification to open carry. Her salary isnt going to be enough to hire body guards, the police? average response time varies likely at least 10 minutes before they are even on the scene. Most people just seeing a sidearm is a deterrent to attack someone. Most holsters your pistol is snapped in,if you got to just grab its not coming out unless you flip the snap. If she has been threatened, no reason to doubt her, I completely understand the need to be proactive about the situation, instead of letting somebody else handle your personal safety.

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 05:17 AM
link   

I don't know why a woman carrying a gun is always hot.

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 05:28 AM
link   

You know what? Imagine your second Amendment wasn't about guns but dildos!

“...the right of the people to keep and bear Dildos, shall not be infringed.”

That would be more fun!

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 05:45 AM
link   
a reply to: ManFromEurope

Wanna give it a try ?
I sure the HADES dont..

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 06:04 AM
link   

Dunno, but...

After adjustment, individuals in possession of a gun were 4.46 (P < .05) times more likely to be shot in an assault than those not in possession. Among gun assaults where the victim had at least some chance to resist, this adjusted odds ratio increased to 5.45 (P < .05).

doi/10.2105/AJPH.2008.143099

An study from ~650 cases in Pennsylvania from 2003-2006.

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 06:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Indigent

I don't often shoot people but when I do...
I try to take out the one with the gun first.

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 06:40 AM
link   
a reply to: toms54

I think the result is logic, nobody wants to get shot and if a thief wants to rob you and sees you got a gun he will take you out before you can shoot them.

Also probably people without guns act more submissive and resist less lowering the chance of being shot too.
edit on 18-1-2019 by Indigent because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 07:13 AM
link   

I don’t know about calling you an idiot, just not educated on guns.
That type of case you could toss into a group of lefties, give them 60 seconds before they all get a spanking and thrown in jail, they would never get it out.
If you have a friend that’s a cop ask them to show you their holster. I’m not an advocate of open carry because I think it makes you a target in a robbery. Or an idiotic protest crowd.

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 07:17 AM
link   
A cowardly leftist would run for a daft place like a gun free zone. Then file a lawsuit for combat related PTSD, to go along with their TDS. What a woman! Successful and packing heat, is she single? I’ll take a knee for her!!a reply to: Indigent

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 07:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Indigent
That is why one should CONCEAL CARRY.

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 07:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Indigent
a reply to: toms54

I think the result is logic, nobody wants to get shot and if a thief wants to rob you and sees you got a gun he will take you out before you can shoot them.

Also probably people without guns act more submissive and resist less lowering the chance of being shot too.

I'm not sure there are stats on this but I would think most criminals would avoid someone open carrying. They probably dont look for a fair fight.

But honestly I prefer conceal carry.

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 07:58 AM
link   
This will not end well for her. She is displaying ignorance that she could even use it before a would be criminal uses it against her. Statistics don't lie and the chances are pretty bleak about what's going to happen here should she encounter an attacker. Not anti gun or anything, but I do believe the vast majority of Americans are too stupid to carry much less operate a weapon more so politicians whom already shown they're too incompetent to get a real job or make it in the real world.

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 08:00 AM
link   

If you had a gun and realized you were being surrounded your hand would most likely be on the gun before anyone else.

...and what makes you think she's not trained in self defense? When seconds count police are just minutes away.

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 08:17 AM
link   
a reply to: acackohfcc

Heck as of lately the leos havnt shown a very good track record of aiming properly when discharging. Should make ya feel good that there is just a short stint of training before these guys are on their own interpreting law and how to enforce it. Just saying calling the police has as much risk of backfiring on the victim as the assailant. Think about it these guys aren't even paid the wages of an entree level professional in other fields in most cases only an idiot or an incompetent would want to work for lower wages. I once asked a leo what the mission was of his superiors and he said flat out its revenue for the town county and state it has nothing to do with what's right or wrong.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join