It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Federal Government Employees Working For Free is a Hyped-up LIE.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 07:04 PM
link   
January 14, 2019

The below headline is NOT TRUE. During this partial government shut-down, our broadcast and print media are filled with this lie.

Why Federal Workers Still Have to Show Up Even If They’re Not Being Paid

The law prohibits public employees from striking, forcing them into what one union leader called “involuntary servitude” during the government shutdown.
Source: www.theatlantic.com...

Every time you hear some idiot in the media say, "Government employees are working without being paid", or see it written in an article, you are being LIED TO.

Either the speaker/author is attempting to over-hype the government shut-down, or they really are too dumb to know that government workers will be paid retroactively, once the government re-opens.

Using the media's logic, every employee in the public and private sector is working without being compensated.

In reality, some people are only paid once a month, and others, even less frequently. But eventually, their agreed upon compensation is received.

It's the same with government employees during this shut-down. It will be an unusually long period between the last "payday", and the next "payday". But they are not working without earning an income. It is involuntary-servitude... aka: slavery.

-CareWeMust

edit on 1/14/2019 by carewemust because: (no reason given)

+22 more 
posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 07:07 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

Missing rent and mortgage payments can be problematic. As can running up credit card debt.

+4 more 
posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Either the speaker/author is attempting to over-hype the government shut-down, or they really are too dumb to know that government workers will be paid retroactively, once the government re-opens.

I had no idea that was something that had to be spelled out. It should go without saying they’ll eventually be paid. The issue is, when?

Trump has threatened to keep the country shut down for months to years. Getting paid eventually doesn’t mean anything if eventually doesn’t come.

+12 more 
posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 07:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
government workers will be paid retroactively, once the government re-opens.

In reality, some people are only paid once a month, and others, even less frequently. But eventually, their agreed upon compensation is received.

you keep trying to spin this as no big deal

so lets see

will be paid is not the same as being paid now is it?

you really cant follow this can you?

and yes if i am to be paid bi weekly i need to be paid bi weekly to say i am being paid.

if my schedule is bi weekly and 3 weeks have gone by and i do not get a check then i am not being paid now am i?

what if the shutdown goes 90 days?
no big deal?

those people that are supposed to get paid bi weekly still getting paid?

your whole attitude on this thing sucks and it all cause youre doing it to defend trump.

they are working and they are not being paid no matter how much you dont understand it

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 07:13 PM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

getting paid eventually is not the same as being paid.

he knows this

he is just trying to minimize it like many here cause they are all over trump and have to try to defend it.

who cares who is at fault for the sake of this discussion

they are working
they are not getting paid
its a crappy situation for thousands

but eh

they might get paid at some point.

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 07:16 PM
link   
I have been trying to explain this to people, but for some reason they don’t get it. I once went six months waiting for a paycheck to catch up to me while I was in college, but I still got paid.

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 07:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
Missing rent and mortgage payments can be problematic. As can running up credit card debt.

TRUE!

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 07:19 PM
link   
right from his source

Eric Young is the president of the union that represents the approximately 30,000 employees of the Federal Bureau of Prisons who are working during the government shutdown.
Young’s members, scattered at 122 facilities located in largely rural areas across the country, aren’t being paid and don’t know when their next paycheck will come.

Like the leaders of virtually every federal-employee union during the past three weeks, he has condemned the shutdown and its toll on innocent workers as “unconscionable.”

“My personal opinion,” Young told me over the phone from his office in Arkansas, “is that it constitutes involuntary servitude.”

Faced with a potentially indefinite shutdown, the unions have turned to the courts for relief. The American Federation of Government Employees has filed a lawsuit against the Trump administration alleging that by requiring employees to work without pay, the government is in violation of the Fair Labor Standards Act, a 1938 law that mandates a minimum wage and overtime pay both to public- and private-sector workers.

yeah
no big deal

only a gang of unions suing the administration over it

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 07:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Phage,

Government jobs are known to be well-paid and higher than minimum wage in most cases. If people have these jobs and live paycheck-to-paycheck, then they are living far beyond their means. I understand some people (not all) have no choice, but when I see everyone of these workers that I know with internet, newest cell phones, upgraded cars and trucks, new clothes, well-fed, and living in high cost-of-living areas, I tend to point out that maybe they should have an emergency fund instead of the newest i-phone.

This of course is not every gov't worker. Just the ones I talk to and know personally.
And all of them still have their jobs so far but the cuts are becoming more clear.
(and I am all for trimming up the fat hog that the US government has become)

I don't blame the government for it's lack of money handling. That has been known for decades to be a sham. I blame people taking for granted the idea that they need to spend less and save more.

For times just like these.

Oh and why won't CONgress take a pay cut? Hell most of them are millionaires!

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 07:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks

I had no idea that was something that had to be spelled out. It should go without saying they’ll eventually be paid. The issue is, when?
Trump has threatened to keep the country shut down for months to years. Getting paid eventually doesn’t mean anything if eventually doesn’t come.

The Union spokesman, and the author of the Atlantic article need to have it spelled out to them...as do many others who falsely believe government workers are now working for free.

Some say President Trump lies all the time. I'm sure those people don't believe that he meant it, when saying he'd keep the govt shut down for months, or even a year.

link   
a reply to: Metallicus

is will be paid at some point the same as being paid?

as in if you get paid bi weekly but have not received your last check and will not receive a check until an unknown time that can be considered being paid??

hahahahahhaha

man you guys are really struggling to twist this

link   
a reply to: havok

Ok.

Not sure what that has to do with saying that the shutdown is no big deal though. For many it certainly is a big deal.

edit on 1/14/2019 by Phage because: (no reason given)

+4 more 
posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 07:23 PM
link   
a reply to: havok

people living outside their means does not make it acceptable to not pay them on schedule for work completed.

it is a crappy cop out

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 07:23 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

That's because the unions support the left no matter what.

It's also funny that people like you care about the prison system now.
🤣🤣

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 07:24 PM
link   

By your logic, Unless you're receiving deposits to your checking account every minute while you're on the job, you're working without being paid in between those once-a-minute deposits.

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 07:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Muninn

there is my little guy

oh now the unions are all left deep state blah blah

i understand

hahahahahaha

i swear you lot would follow trump to the depths

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 07:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

By your logic, Unless you're receiving deposits to your checking account every minute while you're on the job, you're working without being paid in between those once-a-minute deposits.

not at all
read it again

if i accept a job on the condition i be paid every other week on thursday then that is what needs to happen.
if i do not get paid every other thursday then i am not being paid.

it is very simple

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 07:27 PM
link   

I created this thread to point out a factual lie stated by Media and others, who aren't able to conceptualize the difference between "getting paid" and "working for free".

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 07:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Every shutdown has been a "big deal" if you watch the news closely enough.
But with this story, and most of media, the hype needs to be inflated for views or clicks.

They will still get paid. Just not on time.
It's rough, I understand. Not worth the hype the media is claiming is has.

posted on Jan, 14 2019 @ 07:28 PM
link   

A majority of unions are left leaning.

I really think you don't understand but that's a you problem not a me problem.

Good luck.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join