It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Printing to .pdf in Windows 10

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 08:53 AM
link   
I have a folder of images I want to print to .pdf. I have run into a problem.

When I attempt to do this, the .pdf wizard in Win 10 sees the third image in the folder as image number one, no matter how it is actually numbered, and it proceeds accordingly, giving me a .pdf of the images in which the first three images in the folder appear as the last three pages in the .pdf, the very first image in the folder being the very last image in the .pdf. The other images are in the correct order in the .pdf, starting with image number four.

I have tried numbering the images 01, 02 etc. and 1, 2 etc., but it makes no difference.

As usual, any help would be appreciated.
edit on 5-1-2019 by ipsedixit because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Got me unless Adobe is arranging in chronological order
I will research for you

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 09:07 AM
link   
a reply to: ipsedixit

Try bullzip pdf printer.

Also try selecting last page first, then the remaining in proper order.

E.g.) 04, 01, 02, 03
edit on 5-1-2019 by drewlander because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 09:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: ipsedixit
I have a folder of images I want to print to .pdf. I have run into a problem.

When I attempt to do this, the .pdf wizard in Win 10 sees the third image in the folder as image number one, no matter how it is actually numbered, and it proceeds accordingly, giving me a .pdf of the images in which the first three images in the folder appear as the last three pages in the .pdf, the very first image in the folder being the very last image in the .pdf. The other images are in the correct order in the .pdf, starting with image number four.

I have tried numbering the images 01, 02 etc. and 1, 2 etc., but it makes no difference.

As usual, any help would be appreciated.

sometimes they go by their date of origin...

have you moved all in order you want to a new folder..?

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 09:10 AM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

I did move them to a new folder (nested), in the correct order, but still got the same result. I'll try a standalone new folder.

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 09:16 AM
link   
a reply to: drewlander

Thanks for the response. In the Win 10 .pdf wizard there is no option that allows adding images to the .pdf (is there?). I don't see anything like that. I think you just have to take them as a group from your folder.

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 09:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

I'm not using Adobe Acrobat. I'm using the "print to .pdf" feature of the Print menu in Win !0.

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 09:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: ipsedixit

I did move them to a new folder (nested), in the correct order, but still got the same result. I'll try a standalone new folder.

you can also try renaming each, that will create a new origin date...like in today 1-5-19...sometimes it's as easy as that

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 09:27 AM
link   
a reply to: drewlander

I tried bullzip. it appears to operate from within the Print menu in Win 10 and when I specify it as the print destination, the wizard does exactly the same thing, printing the image number four as the first image.

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Are you by chance clicking on the 4th image to bring up the print menu?

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 09:40 AM
link   

I tried renaming. It doesn't work.

I even tried printing the first three pages in the folder by themselves, and it still put them in reverse order.

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 09:41 AM
link   
a reply to: dug88

I have been selecting the entire contents of the folder, so clicking on all images at once.

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Separately then merge?

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 09:55 AM
link   
smallpdf.com may work also pretty sure adobe reader allows you to view thumbnails and rearrange them then save the .pdf as a work around. Check your folder sort options maybe

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 09:57 AM
link   
a reply to: and14263

I haven't tried it but I saw it suggested elsewhere as well. Thanks.

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Open a command prompt in the folder and do a "dir /b /p" that will just show the file names and pause the list when it reaches the bottom of the page or do "dir /b > filename.txt" and open it up on wordpad etc for easier reading.

It could be that some files are .jpg and some are .jpeg and while they show up the same in explorer the system may see .jpeg as first as the letter e in .jpeg is before g in .jpg when doing internal jiggery pokery.

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 10:05 AM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

I haven't tried smallpdf.com yet. Adobe Acrobat gives that flexibility, but haven't ventured into that particular thicket as yet. I may get there. Thanks.

I tried going the Adobe route but it leads to an invitation to subscribe to their acrobat service, and I just don't make that many .pdfs to justify the expense.
edit on 5-1-2019 by ipsedixit because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 10:11 AM
link   
a reply to: ipsedixit

Good luck

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 10:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Maxatoria

Thanks for the suggestion. I did use Irfanview to do a batch conversion of the files in the folder and they all showed up as .jpg files.

The numbering 01, 02 or 1, 2 seemed to make a difference to irfanview, but not in the way the .pdf Win 10 Print menu is showing it, i.e., taking the first three images and putting them last.

Command line stuff is not my strong point.

posted on Jan, 5 2019 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Its got to be because Edge is the default PDF software in Windows 10 software... It can cause havoc with a company that uses Adobe... ahem...

What happens if you use Edge to find the PDF? Will it allow a 'print all' scenario, then, show a print preview you could cycle through? That would be my first thing to try.

Oh... What is considered your default printer? Windows 10 tries to handle the default printer dynamically, but, is chronically confused.

The best thing to do is bring up Printers and Devices and placed the Green Default Check on your printer so it doesn't just make you a One Note or something... W10 will grouse about it and give you one of its "I know better..." scares but I would force it anyway.

edit on 5-1-2019 by Newt22 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join