It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Labor Shortage

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2018 @ 06:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults

originally posted by: wdkirk
Where I live, which is highly industrialized, is short on labor to take factory jobs. My company is presently working through labor relations in different states to attract workers. There are several large manufacturing plants where I live and in the surrounding counties.

same where I live only problem is none of those jobs have good wages, they think $19 an hour is amazing money when in fact its crap in todays world

once you factor in paying for healthcare and basic necessities 19 an hour isn't enough to live on anymore, maybe 10 years ago

If you can't live on $19 am hour? It isn't the wage that is your problem, it's your ability to make wise choices in how you spend your money.

Looking at all the luxuries other people have that you don't and being pissed off because of what you don't have is YOUR problem! Sorry, but with the exception of some of these cities where the cost of living is absolutely horrendous, such as NYC and many in Cali? $19 and hour is not a "crap wage" for someone who doesn't have a job skill that anyone could do.

posted on Dec, 26 2018 @ 06:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults

originally posted by: wdkirk
Where I live, which is highly industrialized, is short on labor to take factory jobs. My company is presently working through labor relations in different states to attract workers. There are several large manufacturing plants where I live and in the surrounding counties.

same where I live only problem is none of those jobs have good wages, they think $19 an hour is amazing money when in fact its crap in todays world

once you factor in paying for healthcare and basic necessities 19 an hour isn't enough to live on anymore, maybe 10 years ago

40k/yr isnt too bad for someone who is single and not college educated. Add a family, which prompts a mortgage and bigger car. Then your wife needs to work FT just to pay for daycare so an 18 yr old bubble gum snapper without any direction of her own can raise your kid for 8 hours a day. Welcome to the American Dream.

posted on Dec, 26 2018 @ 06:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Propagandalf
a reply to: JAGStorm

This labor shortage spreads across the West and Asia due mostly to declining birth rates and aging populations. An increasingly large number of people have upside-down family trees. Some of these governments believe that importing workers via immigration is a good way to maintain a labor force, and hence maintaining the benefits of these governments and their services, as opposed to the cutting services and trimming the government bureaucracies. This is one crucial yet less talked about issues of our time.

I think people are in denial because it hasn't hit their area yet, but it will.

posted on Dec, 26 2018 @ 06:53 PM
link   
a reply to: drewlander

exactly

posted on Dec, 26 2018 @ 06:54 PM
link   
www.theatlantic.com...

Across the country, there are more jobs available than there are workers looking for them, as the unemployment rate has dropped to a nearly two-decade low. Businesses are complaining of worker shortages, arguing they could do more and sell more and build more if they could just find the labor. Yet wages remain strikingly flat, with much of the raises that workers are making getting eaten up by inflation. Employees still somehow lack the power to cajole businesses into paying them more, nearly a decade into the recovery.

www.conference-board.org...
From Not Enough Jobs to Not Enough Workers: What Retiring Baby Boomers and the Coming Labor Shortage Mean for Your Company

www.marketwatch.com...
Is the future going to be a workers’ paradise? Maybe not, but leverage in the workplace may finally be shifting from bosses to the rank and file after a lost decade for labor. “The new normal will be a tight labor market and workers are likely to get a bigger slice of the pie.”

posted on Dec, 26 2018 @ 06:57 PM
link   
More like a worker shortage in our area, getting out of bed is too hard now days. Were actually hiring retirees because they want to work and can get there

posted on Dec, 26 2018 @ 07:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

originally posted by: Gothmog
Another topic you dont understand
Allow me to clarify the situation for you. Again.
The only employee shortages are in service industries such as McDonalds
Which , as history shows , has a very large turnover rate as these ARE jobs being targeted to the young
Btw , those jobs are the ones in which the older , higher paid veterans have been released to be filled by lower paid part time young folk

Let me clarify something for you.
We aren't talking about turnover rates, that has been happening forever especially in those industries, we are talking about not enough bodies.

I'll do the math for you,
100 positions 50 people.

Yet , you were speaking of more job openings than workers
Why do you feel a need to deny or deflect when one is giving a valid , informational explanation ?
Your "feelings" should amount to almost nothing when presented with facts

Like I stated ,you are misunderstanding the subject

posted on Dec, 26 2018 @ 07:07 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

when the slice gets bigger they won't have a labor shortage anymore, problem solved

posted on Dec, 26 2018 @ 07:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

Job openings and labor shortages go hand in hand.

There is no deflection. If a restaurant can't get workers because of labor shortage all around, they are going to
look for pools of people they haven't used, young teens and maybe elderly.
I mentioned this in my OP because I have never seen this in my area.

My area does not have the amount of bodies to support the amount of jobs. There have been campaigns in other bordering states to hire and even bring in young people to relocate. This is not unique to my area but it is starting to spread around the United States, to varying degrees.

You want FACTs:
www.dol.gov...

edit on 26-12-2018 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2018 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Enjoy it while it lasts. If you do get a good job, hang on to it. This worker shortage is a temporary thing. Like the OP said, it just recently started and it will be over when the next bubble pops or the Fed decides to ruin the economy.

If Trump goes, we will be back where we were before.

posted on Dec, 26 2018 @ 08:41 PM
link   

There is no deflection. If a restaurant can't get workers because of labor shortage all around, they are going to

My area does not have the amount of bodies to support the amount of jobs. There have been campaigns in other bordering states to hire and even bring in young people to relocate. This is not unique to my area but it is starting to spread around the United States, to varying degrees.

You want FACTs:
www.dol.gov...

Since when does a restaurant pay enough to support one person let alone a family anymore? Since when does a restaurant, service (hotels and such), security guard, hotel maid, custodian, etc pay enough to get one housing that isn't in the slums?

There is an employee shortage because while these jobs are necessary, they're pathetic in pay.

There is not a worker shortage because people aren't willing to work. There is a worker shortage because people aren't willing to live like garbage to serve a stupid cheeseburger whom isn't 15 years old anymore...

edit on 12/26/2018 by EternalSolace because: Clarity

posted on Dec, 26 2018 @ 09:41 PM
link   
a reply to: EternalSolace

but we don't need those jobs and the people who work them are useless losers

posted on Dec, 26 2018 @ 09:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: EternalSolace

You want FACTs:
www.dol.gov...

Since when does a restaurant pay enough to support one person let alone a family anymore? Since when does a restaurant, service (hotels and such), security guard, hotel maid, custodian, etc pay enough to get one housing that isn't in the slums?

There is an employee shortage because while these jobs are necessary, they're pathetic in pay.

There is not a worker shortage because people aren't willing to work. There is a worker shortage because people aren't willing to live like garbage to serve a stupid cheeseburger whom isn't 15 years old anymore...

In ND we are 17,000 people short for jobs that start at 70k with full benefits and a $1200 dollar a month housing allowance. You usually top 100k in 2 years. Most companies also pay for your phone, an internet connection, cable... you get a company lease truck and a gas card.

Companies in my profession are now doing job fairs in Mississippi, Louisiana, Montana, Texas.

Yes Virginia, we are actually short on people to do the job.

edit on 26-12-2018 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2018 @ 09:59 PM
link   
If there was a shortage of workers, then wages would be going up.
Capitalism 101.

posted on Dec, 26 2018 @ 10:31 PM
link   
I don't have the answers, but not making enough money to be able to live comfortably usually comes down to a few things. Not living within your means, and not being driven to set realistic goals and achieve them. When I was out of high school I found myself living in what most people would consider poverty. I barely made minimum wage, but I was still able to find a place to sleep at night even if it was somewhere unpleasant. I didn't have a family or friends to help out.

I got tired of it. I got a job at a local deli. I picked up every shift I could to the point of being told by the managers that if I kept it up they would fire me because they were paying me too much in overtime. I said fine. So I went and picked up a second job. I was working even more than just picking up extra shifts and still making the same amount. So, I picked up a third job. I was basically working on average twenty hours a day, but I wasn't going to go back to living on the streets.

I made sure to get jobs that were within walking range. I had saved up enough to buy a cheap brick phone that I had to buy minute cards for. I had just enough money to pay some old guy just enough money to convince him to let me sleep in his closet. saved up to buy a cheap Wal-Mart bicycle. I learned how to do bicycle repairs from having to fix my bike all the time.

This motivated me into networking my way and exagerating my skillsets to get into entry level trade type jobs. I would stick around just long enough to learn everything I could and then move on to the next job to learn new skills. So by the time I was twenty years old I had such a large skillset that I was competing for the same jobs that older men were trying to get. I was twenty years old making more money than people who were in college were making. I was making more money than most college graduates were making.

From networking, and continually gaining new skillsets I was never short for jobs. I got to the point where I was basically contracting myself out, because I had made enough money to buy a truck and enough specialty tools where I just told people "If you got a problem call me. I'll fix it."

Then, the economy changed, and people stopped calling. I lost my apartment that I worked so hard for. I lost all of my comforts that I had worked for. So facing a lack of jobs, and an ever growing fear of having to go live in a guy's closet again or worse wind up back on the streets I did what any foolhardy young man would do, and joined the military at the ripe age of twenty-two.

After rising through the ranks quickly I was making more money than I had ever imagined. I got to travel around, do some cool stuff, and a lot of not so cool stuff. I met a girl. I got married, and even got a house and a brand new sports car for me and a brand new girly car for her. Then, reality came crashing down. I got railroaded, separated from the military, my wife cheated on me and left me, and I ultimately ended finding myself in an economy that was only slightly better than when I joined the military. I ended up working in for a crappy family ran construction company, lost my house due to the forces of nature, had to sell my car. Basically had to sell everything.

For a year straight I went back to living couch to couch, biking to work. Working job to job, working my way back up. But you know what? I never gave up. I could have taken the government hand out, but take it as you will my pride wouldn't allow me. It never felt right to take assistance when I didn't need it. I'm a working man. I may have some physical degradation going on, but I'm sure as hell not a frail old man.

I got rid of everything superfluous. No smart phone, no TV, no video games. Just the bare necessities. A phone I can call and text on. A computer and printer, a weeks worth of clothes, and a reliable car I paid in full with a roll of cash. I worked my ass off, to pay off almost all of my debts except for what's left of the mortgage, and the best part of all is that in just a few short months I'm looking forward to taking on a new career in automation of all things, and I'll be making way more money than even when I was in the military. Everything I learned about automation I learned from my early twenties and time in the military.

I'll be able to finally have my own private place to live in. I'll be able to pay of the rest of my mortgage in approximately one year. Best of all I'll be able to afford investing in myself even more to become more successful.

So, I don't know what the problem is with the people who can't make ends meet. I've met a lot of people who are like that. Either they still live at home, or they went and did the irresponsible thing of starting a family when they couldn't do so realistically, or like me when I was younger they just weren't off to a good start. But they all share one thing in common, and that's lack of drive.

If they were really driven to get out of their financial hell. They would sit down, and think about what they really want. I mean what's really important, and then they would set realistic goals about how to get there one goal at a time.

The people still living at home with their parents. They need to realize that they need to find a way to at least contribute around the house if they aren't. Then, figure out what they are good at or what kind of community college or trade school they can get into. Take advantage of any extra curricular clubs to network, and gain or practice skills they don't learn in the classroom. They might even have to work multiple jobs simultaneously for a while until they get into a position where they work their way into a job that pays enough to keep that one job. That's just life. There's no unicorns and definitely no pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

People who have families. They're going to have to sit down and think real hard about how to make more money. I know it sucks but, I know some single mothers who work 60 something odd work hours a week, and still manage to find friends or family to watch their kid while at work. People with kids who aren't single. One of the parents is going to have to stay home while the other one works their ass off for a while, at least until that working person lands a good paying job or the kids get old enough to stay home by themselves. Then the other one can start working. OR, both adults can go to work and leave the kids with grandparents or parents or friends, because daycare is robbery no matter how you look at it.

College or trade school is another option. I recommend trade school, because it's more affordable, and not as long as a traditional school is, but I do know some people who went to a traditional four year school and made it work.

The people who are like I was when I was younger are in the best environment. They aren't dependent on family. They're not just sitting around bumming off of friends. But they have to go about getting money the right way. Selling drugs, running cars, all that is cheap money. It's not hard earned. It's quick money, but it's also quickly lost. They need to turn whatever skills they have at making money and invest in themselves. All the money in the world isn't going to matter one bit when you're locked up in a jail cell, or on life long house arrest.

So, it all comes back to the drive to be successful. A person has to stop what they are doing and think about what they need to do to get to where they want.
edit on 26-12-2018 by RealityIsAbsurd because: People who are content with just complaining and collecting handouts from the government aren't driven. Or else they wouldn't be doing the bare minimum and collecting checks.

posted on Dec, 26 2018 @ 10:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: jacobe001
If there was a shortage of workers, then wages would be going up.
Capitalism 101.

I wish we had capitalism

posted on Dec, 26 2018 @ 10:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
Another topic you dont understand
Allow me to clarify the situation for you. Again.
The only employee shortages are in service industries such as McDonalds
Which , as history shows , has a very large turnover rate as these ARE jobs being targeted to the young
Btw , those jobs are the ones in which the older , higher paid veterans have been released to be filled by lower paid part time young folk

The vast majority of work is on the service industry , some 80% of jobs.

posted on Dec, 26 2018 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Well, if the young didn't go to college to get a degree before going work at McDs, they could be working there for four years. They wouldn't need that degree to work there and get all that student debt tacked onto their debt. So they can only work part time or they have to pay back their student loan and won't qualify for any healthcare assistance if they work full time either.

It's almost required to have at least two years of college here to work at Subway. They even have plans for assistance so you can go back to college part time while you work. Once you graduate, you can be eligible for a management job there, shift foreman.

We got some real major problems in our society today, the young are pushed into too much college debt and can't get a job in their field. So they can't get full time work or they will be broke.

posted on Dec, 26 2018 @ 11:54 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

The real question is why are people still going to college and pursuing degrees in fields that are known to have little to no opportunity?

There are so many people who make comfortable salaries who never went to school. What's the difference between them and people who waste all their time, effort, and money pursuing a useless degree?

There's gotta be something there. What's the answer? I don't personally know anyone under the age of thirty who actually work in a field that's anywhere close to being related to what they went to school for. They make anywhere from $20k a year to $30k a year. Everyone I know personally, myself included, who didn't go to college are making at least $30k a year. Granted some of them went to a trade school, but most of them are getting hired on the day they graduate making more than what my college educated peers are making per year.

So, why do people keep going to school despite the fact that I know they have heard at least once that they are unlikely to find a job that will utilize their education.

Do they just hear that, and think to themselves "Well, I'm already here. I might as well continue wasting all my resources on something that's more than likely going to turn out to be useless? Even ten years ago people were saying that college wasn't worth it. Honestly, I've been hearing college wasn't worth it for way longer than that.

I mean think about it. Why spend tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of dollars on an education, and maybe find a work program while you're in so you can come out with at least some experience? When you can start at the bottom without signing or cosigning a loan and get all the education and experience for just your time and effor
t.

The way I see it. Unless a person does well enough or is lucky enough to qualify for a full scholarship or at least have most of it paid off then college isn't worth it. Because if a person didn't give enough of a damn to do well academically in grade school how can they expect themselves to turn around and compete at a college level education when they are already behind the curve of abysmal pubic schooling?

posted on Dec, 26 2018 @ 11:58 PM
link   
a reply to: RealityIsAbsurd

There's gotta be something there. What's the answer? I don't personally know anyone under the age of thirty who actually work in a field that's anywhere close to being related to what they went to school for. They make anywhere from $20k a year to $30k a year. Everyone I know personally, myself included, who didn't go to college are making at least $30k a year. Granted some of them went to a trade school, but most of them are getting hired on the day they graduate making more than what my college educated peers are making per year.

you are going to have to actually provide some data outside of anecdotal experience before anyone especially myself is going to believe that's true

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join