It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Saturn and Earth discovered to have the same water

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Here's an interesting monkey wrench...

The Saturn system has water just like Earth's... except for Phoebe

researchers have discovered interesting new properties of Saturn and its moons that contradict our current models for how the solar system formed.

To make these discoveries, the team developed a new way to measure isotope abundances in the readings taken by Cassini’s Visual and Infrared Mapping Spectrometer (VIMS). In particular, they studied the ratio of deuterium to hydrogen (D/H) in the water in the Saturn system. Deuterium is an isotope of hydrogen with one proton and one neutron in its nucleus; D2O, which is water that contains deuterium instead of hydrogen, is commonly known as heavy water because of the added mass from the extra neutrons.

The current implication is that the water originated in the inner solar system. Basically, heavy water is considered possible due to our proximity to the sun. The further out into space objects get, deuterium cannot replace hydrogen in the water molecule.

As an added mystery, Phoebe is completely different. It has different water isotopes. This implies it came from the outer solar system.

NOW FOR THE FUN PART
No discovery of such significance cannot be shared without some woo-woo.

The notorious Dr. Velikovsky made many incredible assertions about the solar system.
If you are not familiar with his theories, you might enjoy 'learning' about them.

The Velikovsky Encyclopedia

He proposed that when Saturn was more of a mini sun, the earth was once one of it's satellites. Our oceans were more or less deposited by Saturn. I'm not taking a stand here, just sharing the fun.

If you go to PART II, you can read his theories.
In The Begining

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 10:46 AM
link   
There's a mainstream hypothesis that gas giants like Saturn or Jupiter formed in the inner Solar System, and gradually migrated outwards. Sounds legit, seeing how we've discovered lots of extrasolar "hot Jupiters" which orbit very close to their parent star.

This also might explain the existence of the Main Asteroid Belt.

Although I don't subscribe to Velikovsky or the Electric Universe, the early Solar System might have been quite a busy place!

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 01:21 PM
link   
a reply to: LedermanStudio

I didn't even know there was water on Saturn. I recently read the rings were mostly made of ice.

I don't believe everything Velikovsky wrote. He was on the right track about a lot of things. It wouldn't surprise me if all the inner planets were moons of the gas giants at some point. Even now, we are moons of the sun.

join