It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nationwide police shortage

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 08:37 AM
link   
www.npr.org...

Officers are retiring faster than they can be replaced.

Can we blame them? I'm sure all the smart ones either retired or moved onto other jobs. You know, ones that they won't get publically
tried for doing their jobs.
A few years ago Milwaukee Sheriff David Clarke (He's not my favorite person) said the following:
www.npr.org...

With officers laid off and furloughed, Clarke says, calling 911 and waiting for police is no longer your best bet. "You could beg for mercy from a violent criminal, hide under the bed, or you could fight back. But are you prepared?" he asks. "Consider taking a certified safety course in handling a firearm so you can defend yourself until we get there. You have a duty to protect yourself and your family."

People just about lost their minds when he said this. I was here and I remember it. I thought it sounded like good advice then, and I think it is good advice now. Maybe even more so now.

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 08:53 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Low pay, constantly trashed by media and lefties, chance to not make it home alive every single day. I honestly don't know why anyone takes the police job. My brother did it for 25 years and he's retired now.

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 08:54 AM
link   
I've never understood people who rely on police for their safety and think that dialing 911 will magically stop someone. The average response time is 18 minutes.
I live in a very small town and even here the cops take about 5 minutes to show up. Imagine how much damage a bad guy could do to you or your family in 5 minutes, much less 18.
It's not that calling the cops is a bad idea, but to rely solely on them for your safety is foolish at best...deadly at worst.

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 08:54 AM
link   
So what happens now... They lower the standards even more so that we are policed by felons eventually?

Technically all cops are felons and do not realize it the second they pop someone for a victimless crime. They are committing kidnapping, armed robbery, etc... I meant policed by known "common" felons.

edit on 12-12-2018 by CosmicAwakening because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-12-2018 by CosmicAwakening because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 08:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: CosmicAwakening
So what happens now... They lower the standards even more so that we are policed by felons eventually?

No felons yet, but the standards are slipping that's for sure...

"We now allow facial hair," Mori says. "We allow tattoos; we allow earrings." The sheriff's office will even hire people who admit to past use of marijuana, since the drug is now legal in Oregon; though they're not allowed to use it once they've been hired, because it's still illegal under federal law.

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Years ago, they lowered the standards and also put a ceiling to get an "average" group. They also favored minorities heavily.

The message was clear(locally at least). If you are "too" smart, take a hike. If you are white(and god forbid too smart) you don't have a chance.

Now, I think most people that were in the above criteria, that wanted to serve their community, got the message and moved on. Now most anyone that has any degree of above average intelligence(most likely a failing grade on the exams) has moved onto greener pastures.

The only place to go now is down, loosening the restrictions on minimum test scores, physical appearance and prior criminal history.

Should turn out fine.

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 09:05 AM
link   

I used to work as a police dispatcher. I remember being totally shocked at the things people would call the police for. This was quite a while ago, and I'm sure it's worse now.. there seemed to be a total lack of troubleshooting everyday issues that they should have never called the cops for in the first place. It really is indicative of the nanny state, and many are very content to go that way.

I agree, at the end of the day you have to protect yourself and if the cops can help, great, but don't sit back and wait for them.

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 09:06 AM
link   
I don't know why anyone would want to be a cop with the low pay, risk of harm, and bureaucratic culture. Not to mention being assailed by the media and the public.

I could only see being a cop somewhere remote where you don't necessarily have to deal with the dregs/losers of society on a daily basis. No way I'd be a cop in a major urban area.

I come from a family of police. My dad was a cop for 30 years. About the only good thing that came of it was his pension imho.

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 09:07 AM
link   
In my opinion, the police have turned into somewhat of a state sanctioned gang. I think the public perception of them reflects that. I believe in the police force, but corruption is indeed rampant. I think a conversation about police reform is necessary. Only then can we get crime under control.

BTW I know there are many many good officers out there, but the structure has to change. There are too many opportunities for abuse in local legislative systems.

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 09:07 AM
link   
If they had legit laws, they could hire legit cops.

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 09:08 AM
link   
When I started 25 years ago there was a shortage but NOT a shortage of 'white males' I got a letter from the State of Ca. that read "The Ca. Highway Patrol is currently NOT accepting applications from white males..."

Then I got to fight "The Crack War™" Should've been called "The CROCK War" what a boondoggle that was and those folks are just now getting out of PRISON; Interestingly, those in the Suburbs who used the same drug, coc aine but in a powder form received PROBATION. These were affluent VOTERS...

Now it is the opiates but after looking at it from afar, this "epidemic" is just to separate the user/abuser from their $$$.

That is why I'm also a PROUD member of LEAP•Law Enforcement Action Partnership (nee: LawEnforcementAgainstProhibition)

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 09:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated
I don't know why anyone would want to be a cop with the low pay, risk of harm, and bureaucratic culture. Not to mention being assailed by the media and the public.

I could only see being a cop somewhere remote where you don't necessarily have to deal with the dregs/losers of society on a daily basis. No way I'd be a cop in a major urban area.

I come from a family of police. My dad was a cop for 30 years. About the only good thing that came of it was his pension imho.

I agree, I'd be one in a sub urban or rural area. Around here, pay is actually really good for police and crime is pretty low. It's more of an actual traditional law enforcement role of SERVING(community wise) and PROTECTING.

Most police officers in dense urban areas are literally just foreman on a cleanup crew. Showing up and overseeing the mopping up of the mess that a bunch of animals made.
edit on 12-12-2018 by MisterSpock because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 09:12 AM
link   

In the Metro areas of Texas its been like this for 20 years and its only getting worse as all across the state Police Chiefs have issued "stand down" orders. The result has been intentionally lengthened response times.

dfw.cbslocal.com...

In that case the victim and his witness neighbors waited more than 2 hours before a cop showed up. The causes of this problem are various and this problem will only get worse. In the DFW area, per this artice, there's been a string of 11 armed robberies. The cops don't show up until hours later and of course the crooks know that.

Answer? Avoid the Metro areas like the plague.

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 09:23 AM
link   
a reply to: jjkenobi

Low pay??
ORLY??
In my former city, police made upwards of $70,000, plus benefits.
They often retire at after 20-25, collect their pensions and seek another full time position.

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 09:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: jjkenobi

Low pay, constantly trashed by media and lefties, chance to not make it home alive every single day. I honestly don't know why anyone takes the police job.

Thats part of the problem, the wrong people are filling the position.

The issue with the police is two sided.

On the police side:
The incentives aren't there to hire the right people for the job along with training, pay, antiquated laws, and being overworked with the right to kill someone is the recipe for a disaster.

On the civilian side:
Apparently people are lacking common sense and we need Public Service Announcements. When a COP tells you to stop who has a gun pointed at you then stop . Don't resist , work with the police within your community to become part of a team versus adversaries. Speak up against criminals and don't protect them when possible.

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 09:31 AM
link   
I dont know where everyone gets that cops aren't making any money.
One thing they always say is the salary numbers but they never mention the benefits.

Indiana cops average $52k and start at $36k.
They also have excellent insurance and a pension plan. 25 years and out. Retirement at age 50.

People dont know the perks that flashing a badge will get you.
Cheap meals.
Free admission to many events.
Never on the receiving end of a speeding ticket.

I wouldn't want to be a cop in many cities but in the midsize and smaller towns the cops are mostly safe.

Better than our military in most ways.

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 09:35 AM
link   

I wouldn't want to be a cop in many cities but in the midsize and smaller towns the cops are mostly safe.

That might have been the case in years past, but now with the opioid crisis reaching smaller towns, I do not think cops are safe anywhere.

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 09:35 AM
link   
More like my age group isnt interested in handing out parking tickets and busting potheads for having a plant

Majority of people feel many laws are unjust and there for do not want to participate in enforcement of said laws

Reform the judicial system and drug war and this wont be a problem

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 09:42 AM
link   
No shortage here in Los Angeles cant travel a mile without seeing at least 5 Police cars ...

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 09:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults
More like my age group isnt interested in handing out parking tickets and busting potheads for having a plant

Majority of people feel many laws are unjust and there for do not want to participate in enforcement of said laws

Reform the judicial system and drug war and this wont be a problem

The first article I linked basically says this too.

"I don't know if they want to be cops as much as the previous generation," he says, adding that those who are interested are looking for a kinder, gentler version of the job. They want to do something that's bigger than themselves," Mori says. "They view themselves as community-builders, as opposed to the warrior or even the guardian.".

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join