It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The fact that women use make-up

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Is the fact that women use make-up the translation of a tendency to lie, deceit, manipulate, dissimulate and be hypocritical in general ? Is it the result of an evolutionary path ? What role have men been playing in this evolutionary path, how have they influenced this path ? When men know for a fact that women do use make-up, and they are not bothered by the fact that it's an obvious deception, what does that say about men ? Can this be all explained by the fact that men have always been more physically strong than women, forcing women to adopt a strategy, or is it more complex and abstract than that ?

Awaiting your answers.

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 01:54 PM
link   
a reply to: gosseyn

The first general thought is that make up subconsciously used to show that someone is ready and willing to copulate. Many of the colors that are used are exaggerations of the colors that genitals become when swollen during sexual contact.

I do not think it is for deception as much as it is for mating. Also, to me, the reason why women actually care more about how they look to other women isn't generally speaking sexual in nature as much as it is to compete against eachother.

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 01:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: gosseyn
Is the fact that women use make-up the translation of a tendency to lie, deceit, manipulate, dissimulate and be hypocritical in general ? Is it the result of an evolutionary path ? What role have men been playing in this evolutionary path, how have they influenced this path ? When men know for a fact that women do use make-up, and they are not bothered by the fact that it's an obvious deception, what does that say about men ? Can this be all explained by the fact that men have always been more physically strong than women, forcing women to adopt a strategy, or is it more complex and abstract than that ?

Awaiting your answers.

On the flip side men use the promise of wealth to attract women. Men drive sports cars and flash money to attract women.

Men are much more visual than women. Most men could careless if a woman can say her ABCs or count to ten as long as she has a nice rack and can polish a trailer hitch. Women are the opposite. They don't care how a guy looks as long as he has a fat bank account.

So yes, makeup is how women make themselves more attractive to men. I don't find it deceitful. Makeup just enhances the beauty of really attractive women.

edit on 10-12-2018 by Edumakated because: (no reason given)

+13 more 
posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Men used to wear more makeup than women. Some still do.

Your “logic” is flawed.
edit on 10122018 by TerryDon79 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 02:02 PM
link   
A lot of women put it on because they do not feel attractive enough.
Ironically a lot of young women over-do it, sometimes shaving their eyebrows or whatever and applying fake stuff all over their face and end up looking like clowns or just genuinely not attractive.

I have a weakness for women who apply eye makeup properly though.

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Men in ancient Egypt wore makeup. Ancient Greek men wore makeup and painted their nails. European men, especially royalty, wore makeup and powered wigs.

Men considered their women to be status symbols. Rich men married pretty women, while poor men married women built to work hard. Did you ever read "The Good Earth"? Women were valued for their beauty. Women who didn't keep themselves up lost their husbands affection and interest.

edit on 10-12-2018 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 02:06 PM
link   
We all know the OP likes a bit of “guy liner”.....

Really what is the point in this thread.

Want to know why women use make up, crawl out of your cave and go find one then ask her. They can often times be found in large herds around shops, bars and one direction concerts.

Careful though not to look them in the eyes as the scare easily.

edit on 10-12-2018 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 02:07 PM
link   

In the animal kingdom is is often the Males that are MUCH more showy, colorful, or as you will made-up then their
female counterparts.

So this being recognized, maybe made-up women are the more powerful ones?

Color is also used in contests between males over mates or resources such as territory

www.scientificamerican.com...

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 02:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

Awaiting your answers.

On the flip side men use the promise of wealth to attract women. Men drive sports cars and flash money to attract women.

Men are much more visual than women. Most men could careless if a woman can say her ABCs or count to ten as long as she has a nice rack and can polish a trailer hitch. Women are the opposite. They don't care how a guy looks as long as he has a fat bank account.

So yes, makeup is how women make themselves more attractive to men. I don't find it deceitful. Makeup just enhances the beauty of really attractive women.

Wrong, Wrong and more wrong. I refuse to talk to or engage in any way with a woman who can't think for herself, or for a better word, lacks "intelligence". I don't care about her ability to "polish a trailer hitch". Maybe though, I am old school and prefer more conservative women who have more respect for themselves.

Also wrong is that men are far more visual than women, which also implies that we drive fancy cars etc...to impress women. Are you on any kind of social media? I ask because Instagram, Snapchat, Tumblr, to name a few out of dozens of ways women nowadays use their looks, bodies, etc... to seek attention.

I drive a nice car, not to impress women, because frankly I could care less about showing off or impressing a woman, but rather because its fun. I enjoy the feel of the steering wheel, and the growl of the engine. Im no slouch either nor am I shy(distinguished retired military veteran w/degree), I just don't care to compete in this world where women are "peacocking" on every media outlet they possibly can.

forget to mention, you say that make-up enhances the beauty of really attractive women, but you fail to include the rest of the IMHO 90% of women in the world who don't match really attractive. That means the 90% of women who I believe are not among the most pretty, who also use make-up, are trying to make themselves something they are not, which is as you stated, enhanced in the beauty category. That in itself is misleading.
edit on 10-12-2018 by NightCall because: no reason

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Some women use makeup to deceive others. Some makeup is designed to add nutrients to a woman's body though, consuming the nutrient is not considered proper sometimes in this society. So they stick it into makeup where it can get absorbed by the skin.

This country and others are full of deceivers, and the thing is most people can't comprehend they are deceiving others because it is considered normal in our society to do so. Normal does not mean honest, it does not mean real.

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 02:17 PM
link   
a reply to: NightCall

I drive a nice car, not to impress women, because frankly I could care less about showing off or impressing a woman, but rather because its fun. I enjoy the feel of the steering wheel, and the growl of the engine. Im no slouch either nor am I shy(distinguished retired military veteran w/degree), I just don't care to compete in this world where women are "peacocking" on every media outlet they possibly can.

Let's just switch this up.

I wear makeup, not to impress men, because frankly I could care less about showing off or impressing a man, but rather because it is fun. I enjoy the feel of nice makeup on my skin, and the gloss on my lips. I'm no slouch either, nor am I shy (distinguished corporate peon w/degree), I just don't care to compete in this world where men are "peacocking" on every media outlet they possibly can.

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 02:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: NightCall

originally posted by: Edumakated

Awaiting your answers.

Wrong, Wrong and more wrong. I refuse to talk to or engage in any way with a woman who can't think for herself, or for a better word, lacks "intelligence". I don't care about her ability to "polish a trailer hitch". Maybe though, I am old school and prefer more conservative women who have more respect for themselves.

Also wrong is that men are far more visual than women, which also implies that we drive fancy cars etc...to impress women. Are you on any kind of social media? I ask because Instagram, Snapchat, Tumblr, to name a few out of dozens of ways women nowadays use their looks, bodies, etc... to seek attention.

forget to mention, you say that make-up enhances the beauty of really attractive women, but you fail to include the rest of the IMHO 90% of women in the world who don't match really attractive. That means the 90% of women who I believe are not among the most pretty, who also use make-up, are trying to make themselves something they are not, which is as you stated, enhanced in the beauty category. That in itself is misleading.

Denial is a helluva a drug...

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 02:27 PM
link   

1. What is the difference between make-up and war-paint?

2. Ancient Egyptian traditions for presenting the male Pharaoh to the public?

3. The Mayans.

All wore 'make up' and/or 'war paint' on a daily basis.

It could be argued that the domination status of the male wearing war paint was countered by the female applying make up so as to be as attractive as possible to the warrior she wanted to have children to. Not deception, because men, and women, are not that shallow.

There is nothing uglier than a stunningly beautiful woman adorned in all manner of make up and jewellery who has the personality of a smashed crab.

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 02:35 PM
link   

I think it is to get a leg up on the other women..I know when a very attractive woman starting working at my place a good number of women were automatically forming alliances against her...this was all because she clearly had taken good care of herself (at least with regard to being in shape). I work in a predominately women dominated agency it is very difficult to be friends with many of them at once because they almost become territorial and upset if I talk with other fellow coworkers..and there is nothing wrong with wanting to look your best..

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Some have already noted that men throughout history have also worn makeup, I'll add that not all women wear makeup.

I don't wear makeup. Its impractical for much of what I do. Its uncomfortable. It's time consuming and a pain in the butt. And I can think of lots of things I'd rather spend money on.

How do women like me fit into the equation? How did we miss the patriarchal programming? Or that competitive streak with other women?

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 03:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea

Some have already noted that men throughout history have also worn makeup, I'll add that not all women wear makeup.

I don't wear makeup. Its impractical for much of what I do. Its uncomfortable. It's time consuming and a pain in the butt. And I can think of lots of things I'd rather spend money on.

How do women like me fit into the equation? How did we miss the patriarchal programming? Or that competitive streak with other women?

Real men are more attracted to that which resides from within - superficial exteriors tend to hide bigger issues.

IMO, you're all good.

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 03:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
a reply to: NightCall

Let's just switch this up.

I wear makeup, not to impress men, because frankly I could care less about showing off or impressing a man, but rather because it is fun. I enjoy the feel of nice makeup on my skin, and the gloss on my lips. I'm no slouch either, nor am I shy (distinguished corporate peon w/degree), I just don't care to compete in this world where men are "peacocking" on every media outlet they possibly can.

sure, I've got no problem with this. I never said women ONLY do such things for attention, only the ones I mentioned who use the social media sites for attention.

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 03:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

denial of what exactly? Please do enlighten me.

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 03:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryDon79

Men used to wear more makeup than women. Some still do.

Your “logic” is flawed.

Dude...why you pickin on DB ?

DB is wise.
DB is kind.

DB will poke you with pointy stick if you don't agree.

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 03:34 PM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

DB will poke you with pointy stick if you don't agree.

Sweet!

I can be “TerryDon.....on a steeeeeek” (Jeff Dunham joke)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join