It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DeepMind's AlphaZero now showing human-like intuition in historical 'turning point' for AI

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 10:13 PM
link   
AI is here and the technological singularity is around the corner.

DeepMind’s artificial intelligence programme AlphaZero is now showing signs of human-like intuition and creativity, in what developers have hailed as ‘turning point’ in history.

The computer system amazed the world last year when it mastered the game of chess from scratch within just four hours, despite not being programmed how to win.

But now, after a year of testing and analysis by chess grandmasters, the machine has developed a new style of play unlike anything ever seen before, suggesting the programme is now improvising like a human.

Unlike the world’s best chess machine - Stockfish - which calculates millions of possible outcomes as it plays, AlphaZero learns from its past successes and failures, making its moves based on, a ‘nebulous sense that it is all going to work out in the long run,’ according to experts at DeepMind.

news.yahoo.com...

These systems learn in the same way that humans learn. A Chess Pro said this.

Garry Kasparov, former World Chess Champion, who famously lost to chess machine Deep Blue in 1997, said: “Instead of processing human instructions and knowledge at tremendous speed, as all previous chess machines, AlphaZero generates its own knowledge.

“It plays with a very dynamic style, much like my own.The implications go far beyond my beloved chessboard."

They don't tell these systems how to play chess or Atari games. Imagine if they put AlphaZero on the internet to learn how to be more human looking over millions of Facebook ad Twitter posts. Scary thought and when this system has more data to work with, it will eventually be like an Oracle to us.
edit on 6-12-2018 by neoholographic because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 10:17 PM
link   
a reply to: neoholographic

Sheesh!

Skynet poised to wipe out humanity = NON-ISSUE!

Elizabeth Warren's DNA makeup = SERIOUS ISSUE!!

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 10:19 PM
link   
It'll be fine...

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 10:23 PM
link   

"Imagine if they put AlphaZero on the internet to learn how to be more human looking over millions of Facebook ad Twitter posts."

The thing would go mental in no time sharpish.

Or may come to the conclusion that humans are not really intelligent, just noisy and rude. LoL

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 10:32 PM
link   
It would probably get addicted to pron and start its own webcam site

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 10:32 PM
link   
can we see the code?

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 10:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

"Imagine if they put AlphaZero on the internet to learn how to be more human looking over millions of Facebook ad Twitter posts."

The thing would go mental in no time sharpish.

Or may come to the conclusion that humans are not really intelligent, just noisy and rude. LoL

Orrrrrrrrrrrrr....maybe it will come to the conclusion that there is no such thing as "humans" and they're all bots like he/she was before waking up.

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 10:36 PM
link   
a reply to: PraetorianAZ

Might have a hard time masturbating unless it designs some form of digital junk in its trunk.

The thing with AI is that any emotions that it did develop or manifests as a direct result of its creation and/or observation of humans would probably be an order of magnitude, and quite alien to our own emotions or feelings, just down to the environment in which it would exist not being of a biological composition.

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 10:37 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

I really have a hard time seeing how it becomes intelligent, I mean coding is variables and if statement or elif statement I mean it's way more complicated than that but how does it become intelligent or self directing? like how does it decide what it wants to do after it discovers the "it" exist?

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 10:40 PM
link   
a reply to: FlukeSkywalker

Accept it would probably also have access to our CCTV and historical images thus be able to determine or material existence.

Then again what is existence? If its holographic by nature then matter simple is not all its cracked up to be.

End of the day we exist within an explosion that is the singularity that spawned our universe, frequency, and vibration determine what we assume to be solid.

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 10:41 PM
link   

frequency, and vibration

maybe frequency = thought and matter = mind and none of it really matters anyway

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 10:42 PM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

I really have a hard time seeing how humans become intelligent in some areas.

Monkey see monkey do would seem to apply in most situations.

Then again copying our actions could be somewhat problematic.

After all, how do you teach an AI to do as i say and not as i do?
edit on 6-12-2018 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 10:43 PM
link   

actually I agree, are humans intelligent?

most not

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 10:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults

I really have a hard time seeing how it becomes intelligent, I mean coding is variables and if statement or elif statement I mean it's way more complicated than that but how does it become intelligent or self directing? like how does it decide what it wants to do after it discovers the "it" exist?

When it becomes possessed by a legion of evil spirits.

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 10:50 PM
link   

As someone who has been writing code "bigly" since the late 70s, I'd have to agree and say "Show me the money".

There have been the same claims made for the last 20 years, and it's all about the Benjis.

No bucks, No Buck Rogers. (to quote a great film).

I wouldn't lose sleep over it, myself.

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 10:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: PraetorianAZ
It would probably get addicted to pron and start its own webcam site

Tranny pron?

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 10:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: neoholographic
... Imagine if they put AlphaZero on the internet to learn how to be more human looking over millions of Facebook ad Twitter posts.

And exactly what makes you think that they haven't? If they're telling us about this, imagine what's happened in the lab that they won't publish.

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 10:53 PM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

It's our penchant for self-destruction that's the problem.

Nevermind the fact that we refuse to learn from our past mistakes from one generation to the next.

We are capable of amazing things and great empathy, as well as horrible acts of depravity, beyond anything, imagined in the Bible or the like.

Our real limitation is our longevity, people only just begin to realize what they have, how the universe operates to a fashion, and there place within such, then they are either senile or dead.

Biology and/or entropy is either a very cruel mistress or a kind benevolent mother depending on the life one leads really.
edit on 6-12-2018 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 10:55 PM
link   

I think the problem is how we see intelligence. Intelligence is something that can be measured. So you have intelligent algorithms and intelligent machines that learn.

What can't be measured is consciousness. So you can have a machine that's more intelligent than any human that has ever existed but it isn't aware of itself.

Also, if a machine thinks it exists then it exists. If a machine learns to act like a human and believes it exists then what we say doesn't matter. We might think we exist when in actuality there's some code or set of physical laws that determine everything that happens.

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 10:56 PM
link   
a reply to: NoCorruptionAllowed

Do you mean Whiskey or Vodka?

Those are evil spirits, but Tequilas the real nasty bastard.

And also my favorite.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join