It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Turkey Day!! What are you making?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2018 @ 10:01 AM
link   
On a funny note...anyone hear of the latest prank called something like the "Turkey Challenge"???

Some viral internet thing where kids text/email their parents at the last minute and ask them for instructions on how to microwave a 25 lb. turkey. (some of the creative ones even go on to say how the turkey will fit inside the microwave and include pictures)

Some of the responses from the parents are pretty hilarious! It was making the rounds yesterday in the news.

I'll see if I can find a link.

posted on Nov, 22 2018 @ 10:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Ummm...room...I'm making room for all that delectable goodness...

I even forwent breakfast...so...mashed taters and gravy...here I come...I might even save room for some pumpkin pie...

We'll see...the day is young yet...

YouSir

posted on Nov, 22 2018 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Roasted Turkey with stuffing and mashed russet potatoes and gravy. Pumpkin pie, green bean casorole, cheesecake, fluff, homemade rolls, and cranberry sauce. There will also be shrimp dip with crackers and some other odds and ends relatives will bring.

Normal turkey day stuff. Kind of a traditional day with us, we have turkey every year, they are cheap, it was thirty seven cents a pound at Meijers this year.

posted on Nov, 22 2018 @ 10:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
Then "Caucasian" wine it is!

Since you got white wine, get white sangria and don't extend the pinky finger.

posted on Nov, 22 2018 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Shoot, I forgot to include something in my OP!!!!

Add to the OP...Cranberry Brie Rolls!!!

Can't believe I forgot those!! They might even be one of the stars of the whole shebang!!

posted on Nov, 22 2018 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Eh, there are only 3 of us today.

Husband, son and I, so we feel pretty free to do as we please. We're still having turkey, stuffing, potatoes, but we're not getting too elaborate with tons of dishes, and we're putting twists on the dishes as please us.

We thought we'd try mussel stuffing because our son loves mussels. I figured since people use oysters, someone had to have had the idea of using mussels at some point. Not many it seems, so we were willing to try turning a mussel recipe into a stuffing by mating an oyster recipe with it.

The garlic cream cheese mashed taters don't need gravy, so can save all the turkey bits, including that backbone and the pan drippings to make turkey stock with tomorrow along with the carcass and the veggies we've shoved underneath the bird in the roaster to catch more drippings.

And we all like simple roasted sweet potatoes and Brussels sprouts.

Saturday is the big soiree with all the family.

posted on Nov, 22 2018 @ 11:12 AM
link   

spicey pork with sweet potato frittes and stir fry vveggies

posted on Nov, 22 2018 @ 11:15 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

So a couple questions for you:

1. I really like the mussel stuffing idea! So many people like the oysters and I just think that's horrible! Cooked oysters are just awful to me, can't stand them. Raw is fine, but fresh? Bleck! Same texture as liver which is probably why I detest them so. So do tell more about this mussel recipe! I love, love, LOVE mussels!

2. Twice now you've said sweet potatoes and brussel sprouts in the same sentence. Are the sweet potatoes mixed together with the brussel sprouts or separate? I'm on a crusade to like brussel sprouts so I'm always interested in brussel sprout ideas.

For us, it's just the two of us, and I like it that way. (No traveling is ESPECIALLY awesome!) Plus, we're free to try all kinds of fun and different things...which we do every Thanksgiving.

posted on Nov, 22 2018 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Oh, and THEN there's possibly the best part of Turkey Day coming up tomorrow!!

That would be the equally momentous occasion of Turkey SAMMICH Day!! YUM!!

And just when you thought it couldn't get any better...BOOM!....Turkey SOUP Day!!

OH MAN!!!

Then after about a week and a half things have calmed down and it's like ... Turkey Tetrazini Day

Then it's a whole year before it's Turkey Day again.

(We don't do Turkey on Christmas...that's PRIME RIB DAY!!)

edit on 11/22/2018 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2018 @ 11:46 AM
link   

This year we're working with this mussel stuffing recipe. We're using a local butcher shop's fresh made chorizo instead of the nduja because I'd never heard of it and never seen it. Of course, when we hit up Local Pig for the chorizo ... guess when they had in their case - nduja! We went ahead with the chorizo anyhow because they'd already pulled it and wrapped it for us.

But prior to deciding to try the Tasting Table recipe, I was thinking we could make a credible attempt at using this this recipe and simply using sourdough for the bread in the stuffing and then using an oyster stuffing as our base and using the amazing mussel broth as part of the custard mixture you soak into the sourdough.

The challenge is getting mussels fresh enough. We are actually having to use a bag of cooked frozen that are frozen in their cooking broth. I hope it still works out. If we like it well enough, we may special order a bag of fresh from a local market next year.

As for Brussels sprouts, Teikiatsu is not a huge fan of them, but he likes them well enough roasted, especially if we stick a sweeter vegetable in the pan with them. We just cut them into halves or quarters and cut down either butternut squash or sweet potato into similar size pieces, season the whole lot with olive oil, salt and pepper and spread them on a cookie sheet or pan and roast them off. Roasting them keeps them from having that bitter taste they sometimes get IMO or at least the roasty taste counters it and the sweeter vegetable is a nice counter point.

posted on Nov, 22 2018 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Sounds really good!!

I'm definitely going to try the mussel stuffing, and soon. Fortunately, live mussels is something we can actually get fairly frequently here in CO. I guess there's enough demand for them to keep them in stock. I have to be careful with those things because I could eat a hundred of them in one sitting...but then ol' man Gout comes knocking if I'm not careful!

The brussel sprouts idea also sounds great. They've been packing the store with brussel sprouts this year, so they are definitely more than available, plus it's always handy to have a few around in case you need 'em for throwing at cars...or stray dogs and such.

posted on Nov, 22 2018 @ 12:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
On a funny note...anyone hear of the latest prank called something like the "Turkey Challenge"???

Some viral internet thing where kids text/email their parents at the last minute and ask them for instructions on how to microwave a 25 lb. turkey. (some of the creative ones even go on to say how the turkey will fit inside the microwave and include pictures)

Some of the responses from the parents are pretty hilarious! It was making the rounds yesterday in the news.

I'll see if I can find a link.

Here you go FCD, my daughter got me a couple of weeks ago.

posted on Nov, 22 2018 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Turkey sandwiches are favored more in my house than the actual dinner.

That's why we eat at 2.

So we can enjoy the sandwiches later in the evening.

White bread, mayo, heavy pepper, celery salt, cranberry sauce, sweet pickles, and TURKEY!

posted on Nov, 22 2018 @ 01:11 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

What???? No stuffing????? Perish the thought!!!

Oh, and what's with the pickles???

Now, the really BIG question is....what kind of mayo????

Gotta' be Hellmans!! This is one area where Duke's can't hang!! Bought a jar of Hellman's special just for tomorrow!

ETA - And ya' gotta' have fresh ground black pepper on that Hellman's...it just ain't a sammich any other way!

edit on 11/22/2018 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2018 @ 01:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
a reply to: DBCowboy

What???? No stuffing????? Perish the thought!!!

Oh, and what's with the pickles???

Now, the really BIG question is....what kind of mayo????

Gotta' be Hellmans!! This is one area where Duke's can't hang!! Bought a jar of Hellman's special just for tomorrow!

ETA - And ya' gotta' have fresh ground black pepper on that Hellman's...it just ain't a sammich any other way!

Recharged my 100 year old pepper mill with fresh peppercorns. (Bought it when stationed in Germany at an antique shop) Best damned grinder I've ever owned.

And yes, Hellmans of course!

posted on Nov, 22 2018 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Of course, Hellman's ...

Is there any other mayonnaise? I know there are lots of other spreads, but aside from stuff you make yourself, none of those are actually mayonnaise.

posted on Nov, 22 2018 @ 01:23 PM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

I laughed at the one parent who said to cover it in tinfoil and better hope it's a big one cuz you're gonna' need it to feed all the firemen you idiot!

posted on Nov, 22 2018 @ 01:26 PM
link   

No, there is absolutely NO other kind of Mayo!

I completely agree!

I've had people try to tell me Duke's can hang with Hellman's, but no way!

posted on Nov, 22 2018 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Cranberry horseradish sauce sounds UH MAY ZING.

I made:
Mashed Taters
Cheesecake
Asparagus with bacon glazed in a maple-mustard sauce.
Stuffed mushrooms

My mom and sisters make the rest.

posted on Nov, 22 2018 @ 02:29 PM
link   
That meal turned out amazing.

I think we will never go back from dry brining if we can help it. I've never had white meat roast turkey so juicy that it leaves juice on my plate before, and we got the skin to come out perfectly brown and crispy, too.

And the mussel stuffing came out awesome too.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join