It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you ever feel ashamed of opportunistically go back to God

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2018 @ 08:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Kalsek

I have never believed in gods or the supernatural, but i have noticed that most people find it very natural to speak with a “god” in troubled times. What i think is that you are making deals with yourself. You are conversing with the part of your mind that is in control, and pleading with it to deal with the tough situations. We all know that that part of the mind is real. It can be demonstrated that it exists.

I personally think that attributing that part of ourselves to some sort of God like being, only works to remove the responsibility of those decisions and the actions that need to be taken to relieve your stress, and puts that on some imaginary outside entity, instead of putting that burden square on your self where it needs to be. If you do not accept the burden of making decisions for yourself, that decision (or lack of) can lead to unmeasurable Harm within the psyche. You will only be pretending that you are not in control of your self, your decisions, and the direction that your life is going.

edit on 21-11-2018 by Woodcarver because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-11-2018 by Woodcarver because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2018 @ 08:52 AM
link   

People who pray for selfish reasons don’t get it, that fact that you felt a little shame shows somewhere deep down you do. Such feelings help us address our behaviour, wants or desires. So in that sense they are positive.

In essence there is no shame in feeling shame.

posted on Nov, 21 2018 @ 09:35 AM
link   
OP, I've had those same feelings MANY times throughout my life.

I even tried to get myself to NOT believe in God. I tried many different spiritual beliefs, including New Age crap ((and that's exactly what it is-crap), etc. Through a series of events, I gradually started considering God again, the Christian God I was raised with, but with a focus on Christ, and today I try to make it a priority to seek God/Jesus every day. And it's been so rewarding.

I've found that God is indescribably merciful and patient with us, and when we are ready to seek Him, all that's required is the tiniest of steps towards him. An open mind to his presence, an acknowledgement of the good things He's given you, a sincere question...and He will respond. I'll also say that God and Jesus are different than what I previously believed, and the PERSONAL relationship is what God wants with each of us. I don't attend church now except for when I visit family; yet I feel closer to Jesus now than I ever did growing up, where I went to church three times a week, every single week for 18 years.

Long way to say that I understand where you're coming from, with the feeling guilty for paying more attention to God when you're in crisis than in everyday life. And I think that's very common; but you might consider this as an invitation from God and Jesus to develop a relationship with them that is deeper than it's ever been. If you answer the invitation, it WILL be rewarding! And I don't know your background, but if you're like me, the new relationship will be way different than you imagined it was "supposed" to be (it will be so much better!).

Last thing I'll say in this long post is that this podcast I listen to has blessed me so much- this guy explains and interprets the Bible using its original languages (Hebrew for the Old Testament, Greek for the New Testament) AND in the context of the culture of the time. Which changes much of what we are normally taught about what the bible says. It's fascinating, if you're interested! It's called The Naked Bible podcast and you can find it on iTunes.

Thanks for the thread, Kalsek- and I will put you in my prayers!

posted on Nov, 21 2018 @ 09:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Woodcarver
Well said. Unfortunately, the idea of self accountability and responsibility hasn't been a successful idea with humans as a whole, presently or historically. The (epigenetic?) belief that something/someone beyond our comprehension is in control is a very strong archetype that encourages humans to relinquish their personal sovereignty and autonomy.

posted on Nov, 21 2018 @ 10:54 AM
link   
a reply to: KansasGirl

I will certainly check that podcast. Thank you for your post, feels good to read that you understand what Im feeling and been through it yourself.

posted on Nov, 21 2018 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Souls prove if they are divine or non divine with their actions. The higher levels can prove themselves if they want to so the whole need for belief is a human religious narrative that have nothing to do with the real divine connection.

Some people go from atheist to aware and belief is for those that cannot measure themselves.10% of human have during their lifetime an Out of body experience. Anointment is a quantum physical change that can be measured if humans wanted knowledge.

posted on Nov, 21 2018 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Nothing wrong with it from my point of view, but then again I only view God in a "creator of the universe" sense, rather than any "my way or the highway" religious ruler of one specific religion to the exclusion of all others, because that's just man's hubris...in my opinion.

posted on Nov, 21 2018 @ 12:13 PM
link   
There are no atheists in foxholes but there are always one or two in the Cancer Ward.

posted on Nov, 22 2018 @ 02:15 AM
link   

I aways reckon i'm glad I am not religious - Religion is the oldest form of mind control there is, IMO.

posted on Nov, 23 2018 @ 12:33 PM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

Every time I've ever tried to talk to God he's never answered back with His own voice. All I ever hear is the sound of my own tinnitus. Sort of the same way when I try to move objects with my mind. Nothing ever happens.

I see your problem. At least I think I see your problem. You have a blockage between your ears and you need a good doctor to help clear your blockage. God is probably shouting and the ears can't hear Him shouting because of all the racket going on in your head. You need a good ears racket eliminator of some sort.
No charge for the diagnosis --- lol

top topics

<< 1   >>

join