It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dark Matter Hurricane to Pummel Earth

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2018 @ 03:13 PM
link   
"Scientists predict a 'dark matter hurricane' will collide with the Earth"
www.cnet.com...

"Earth to be battered by ‘dark matter hurricane’ for next million years"
www.rt.com...

From CNET:

Throughout the Milky Way there are a number of stellar streams, gatherings of stars that were once dwarf galaxies or clusters. In ancient history they collided with the Milky Way and were torn apart -- leaving a stream of orbiting stars that circle the galactic centre. One such stellar stream, dubbed S1 and discovered last year by scientists examining data from the European Space Agency's Gaia satellite, passes directly through the path of our sun. As our solar system speeds through the outer reaches of the Milky Way, it flies through dark matter at around 230 kilometres per second ( around 143 miles per second). A study, published Nov. 7 and led by researchers at the University of Zaragoza, suggests that the dark matter present in the stream may be travelling at double that speed -- roughly 500km/s (around 310 miles per second) -- giving us a much better chance at detecting dark matter.

From RT:

While we have never directly detected dark matter, and we’re not entirely sure what it is, we know ‘something’ must be there. Think of it like wind in the sails of a ship: we can see its impact on the world right in front of us, but it might be difficult to point it out directly.
Our Solar System lies directly in S1’s path but, despite the fact that it contains 30,000 stars or so, we’re not due for a cosmic KO anytime soon. Thankfully, everything is spread out nicely. However, barreling along in S1’s wake is a vast array of dark matter flotsam and jetsam.

No, it's not Nibiru... or is it!?

posted on Nov, 14 2018 @ 03:23 PM
link   
can't understand predicting something we've never seen and never detected to hit us and get affected

could someone explain

posted on Nov, 14 2018 @ 03:24 PM
link   
This is speculation at best based on a theory of something we don't know exists. Doom p0rn away though.

posted on Nov, 14 2018 @ 03:24 PM
link   
If neutrinos are like like sub-atomic drizzle, then dark matter is like sub-atomic hailstones. But they are both hard to detect.

posted on Nov, 14 2018 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Given that dark matter does not interact with matter, and the reason it cannot be detected. I don't think we have a single thing to worry about.

If it's even true.

posted on Nov, 14 2018 @ 03:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dr UAE
can't understand predicting something we've never seen and never detected to hit us and get affected

could someone explain

There is some additional gravitational effect observed on galactic scale.

One possible fitting explanation is matter that only interacts gravitationally, which makes it also hard to detect.

posted on Nov, 14 2018 @ 04:14 PM
link   
We're supposedly already in it. No wonder I felt a chill.

posted on Nov, 14 2018 @ 05:43 PM
link   
a reply to: GenerationGap

Dark matter doesn't react with matter. That's why it's dark and not directly detectable. So I don't see how dark matter passing through the sun will be any different.

Eta: not sure how this article detected dark matter to be able to predict where it is going to end up... But the scientists of the world REALLY want to speak with anyone who knows ...
edit on 14-11-2018 by hombero because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2018 @ 05:45 PM
link   
An undetectable, and therefore a non reactive THING is going to kill us.

I call FAKE!

posted on Nov, 14 2018 @ 05:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dr UAE

could someone explain

I can explain.

Sayuns!

posted on Nov, 14 2018 @ 09:38 PM
link   

From what I read on the subject of dark mater , humans have no way of actually measuring it.

It's only a theory at this point. something the math shows is there but something we can't see, touch, smell, taste, or interact with in any way.

So how can they say it is similar to what we know as a hurricane. They can't.

This is a sensationalists headline to drum up interest in science.
I don't mind that they do this . Science is awesome!

posted on Nov, 14 2018 @ 09:40 PM
link   
BRING ON THE SUPER POWER AGE!!!!

I hope when the dark mater hits that I get the power to teleport.

What powers are you hoping for guys?

posted on Nov, 14 2018 @ 09:45 PM
link   
a reply to: hombero

not sure how this article detected dark matter to be able to predict where it is going to end up

www.livescience.com...

www.bbc.com...

This link is to a bunch of technical information on how dark matter is tracked. You will have to dig to get the answers you seek though.

kicp.uchicago.edu...

posted on Nov, 14 2018 @ 09:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Dr UAE

kicp.uchicago.edu...
edit on 14-11-2018 by scraedtosleep because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 05:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Jonjonj
An undetectable, and therefore a non reactive THING is going to kill us.

I call FAKE!

but it shouldn't cause any damage. In fact, in the hunt for the mysterious particle (or particles) that makes up dark matter, the "hurricane" may provide our best chance at detection.

I say you didn't read the articles. You're the only person mentioning doom...

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 06:35 AM
link   
Sensationalist news.

The actual scientific paper, upon which the "news" is inspired from, states that S1 is a stream of stars (a group of stars moving in the same direction), and that there might be dark matter associated with these stars, which could increase the density of dark matter around our neighborhood.

phys.org...

A team of researchers from Universidad de Zaragoza, King's College London and the Institute of Astronomy in the U.K. has found that a "dark matter hurricane" passing through our solar system offers a better than usual chance of detecting axions.

Note that it is already passing through our solar system, and might have been doing so for a long time.

As S1 moved through our area, theory suggests dark matter should have been moving along with it. Calculations by the team suggest it should be moving at approximately 500 km/s. They created several models showing the distribution of the dark matter and its density. Doing so allowed them to create predictions of possible signatures of the stream for researchers to look for. They suggest this event gives those in the field looking for observable evidence of dark matter a better than normal chance to do so. They suggest that it is not likely that WIMP detectors will find anything unusual.

Basically, they are simply saying that if you want to fish for dark matter, weather is good.

edit on 15-11-2018 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 06:55 AM
link   
When you model space based on orbital paths you can tell why things move the way they do. However, in order to make it all work there has to be some extra sources of gravity of varying intensity at any of a number of locations. Multiple combinations of these extra gravity sources can achieve the exact same results. The problem is that when we look where these sources of gravity are supposed to be we don't see anything. That means either there is another force at work we don't know about or there is a gravity source there we can't see. Science opts for the latter and calls it dark matter. Undetectable to us except for its gravitational affects.

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Well I guess this is it. Time to hold my ex gf from middle school to the suicide pact we made if the world was ever gonna end. If a "dark matter hurricane pummeling the Earth" wont end the world, what will? There's no time to look into it any further, it could hit us any second! I know Melissa is married with a family now, but she will thank me... cause I'll bring the husband and kids along with us so Melissa and I can absorb their soul energy and become Gods in the afterlife.

Ive already thought it all through long ago. Bought 5 half-gallons of "Suicide By Chocolate" flavor Ice Cream, got 5 brand new silver spoons for the occaassion, and I was thinking of bringing bowls, but, what the heck? I am normally a very sober and orderly person, but I guess it wouldn't hurt just this once to have a "little" crazyness and just... eat it, Right out of the carton! Melissa always said I needed to loosen up well here I come baby!!!!! 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣Aaaaaaahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!! WHOOOOO-HOOO!!!

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 09:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vroomfondel
When you model space based on orbital paths you can tell why things move the way they do. However, in order to make it all work there has to be some extra sources of gravity of varying intensity at any of a number of locations. Multiple combinations of these extra gravity sources can achieve the exact same results. The problem is that when we look where these sources of gravity are supposed to be we don't see anything. That means either there is another force at work we don't know about or there is a gravity source there we can't see. Science opts for the latter and calls it dark matter. Undetectable to us except for its gravitational affects.

The vacuum of space must be filled with photons. Every star is radiating a "wall" of them at every angle. I wonder if this starts to form eddies and currents in this sea of photons all going (pulling? pushing?) in different directions?

I wonder if there is any part of space that is not inundated with photons and what that would "look" like? I wonder if the parts that are more dense with photons could be different than the less dense parts in some ways?

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 11:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep
What powers are you hoping for guys?

The power to grow my armpit hair twenty feet long.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join