It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Transgender a symptom of Schizophrenia?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2018 @ 07:04 PM
link   
a reply to: PhatalError

If someone has already mentioned this please forgive me as I only read the first page, but it is my opinion that transgenderism is caused by a hormone imbalance and has really come to the forefront in recent years because of all of the added hormones in our food supply. They give hormones to all of the animals we consume and the hormones are then passed to us, aggravating the already existing hormonal imbalances that a lot of people have. JMHO.

posted on Oct, 31 2018 @ 07:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Asktheanimals
I have to wonder what role social pressures play in gender dysphoria. There is certainly some self-obsession going on and for some being transgender has the bonus of attention from others. It's a very alien concept to me personally and knowing only 1 fully post-op trans person has only reinforced that view of attention seeking.

I can tell you ti effects how you deal with others especially those you care for and call family. If i told my parents and friends this id be all alone.. i go out of my way to not draw attention.

posted on Oct, 31 2018 @ 07:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: GeauxHomeYoureDrunk

If someone has already mentioned this please forgive me as I only read the first page, but it is my opinion that transgenderism is caused by a hormone imbalance and has really come to the forefront in recent years because of all of the added hormones in our food supply. They give hormones to all of the animals we consume and the hormones are then passed to us, aggravating the already existing hormonal imbalances that a lot of people have. JMHO.

i have a combination of hormone issues. im smaller and weaker than the rest of my family due to low testostorone until late in my teens.

posted on Oct, 31 2018 @ 07:13 PM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

That´s really sad. What do you think, is the way that community presents itself in public helpful to you?

Honest question. I wrote something similar like the poster you answered too but didn´t state everyone (basically those who are in hormon change during teenage phase being a bit confused).

I had a friend that was a bit confused by hormones, I recently talked to her about that on her birthdayparty in a calm face to face moment. Regarding the actual transgender discussions and how she felt (tomboyish) when she was young and how she always told me she´d like to have a penis.

She laughed and told me that was gone after puberty. Even though we we´re best friends, I never asked her that question until lately. I wrote it here somewhere else, what a coincidence. Could be this thread? I´m getting old...

It supposedly also had to do with her brother being more worth than her and her sisters so there´s that also.
edit on 31-10-2018 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2018 @ 07:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: verschickter

That´s really sad. What do you think, is the way that community presents itself in public helpful to you?

Honest question. I wrote something similar like the poster you answered too but didn´t state everyone (basically those who are in hormon change during teenage phase being a bit confused).

I had a friend that was a bit confused by hormones, I recently talked to her about that on her birthdayparty in a calm face to face moment. Regarding the actual transgender discussions and how she felt (tomboyish) when she was young and how she always told me she´d like to have a penis.

She laughed and told me that was gone after puberty. Even though we we´re best friends, I never asked her that question until lately. I wrote it here somewhere else, what a coincidence. Could be this thread? I´m getting old...

It supposedly also had to do with her brother being more worth than her and her sisters so there´s that also.

No the way they go about it is not helpful,because it sounds like whineing. People hate that.

posted on Oct, 31 2018 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Interesting, that´s not the first time I hear that directly from someone who struggles with this.

But let me give you an advice for life. If you can´t trust someone to tell them your feelings, I would not call them friends.

Contrary to what most think, you learn this while getting older and older, there are not much true friends in life. You might have had 20 friends during school time. How many of those would you trust your life?

Rather have 1-2 trustfull persons that you care about the relationship than having 20 people you call friends because you know their forename and how their house looks from the inside.

It´s hard to find those 1-2 persons but eventually you will find them.

posted on Oct, 31 2018 @ 07:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
These people would not be transgender if someone did not convince them it was an option. People do not have to be far female or far male, there is an area all over in the middle, and even being gay is acceptable in my mind. I do not care if someone crossdresses, it urks me that someone changes their body at great expense with money being funneled into the medical and pharma industries along with increased business for the Psychiatric profession for something that is not necessary.

They are just gullable and want to have an identity based on their desired sex. There are mates for everyone, but these people are being led to believe they will never find someone to fulfil their other half properly. It is a big scam. I do not believe they are skitzo or mentally ill...well, maybe some of them may be a little nuts. Society seems to be pushing these sex changes now, that is not right. People need to keep their nose out of reinforcing a person's belief that this will make them better, most times it just makes them poorer.

I have been trying to catch up, but had to stop and repeat what you are saying! YES! And Yes again. We are all unique in so many various ways! We all should love who we are as born. There is no reason to want to mutilate your body! Just be the you that you are!

I would be considered bi sexual but I tried the gay relationship seen since men only seen me as some hot dumb blonde! I found out that women were worse since I was too much a man mentally.

Forgive my personal blabbing...but it irks me that folks are attempting to change themselves physically. Just be YOU. There is no reason to freaking change yourself physically! Will someone make a snide remark? Of course! There is always someone who will snicker and talk #. It will even happen amongst those who believe as you do.

I look extremely feminine and yet, I am very masculine mentally. I have found a partner that looks quite masculine and is very feminine. The world has a balance and one has to love themselves as birthed...you will find another who will bring balance without surgery!

Transgenders say...I don't understand. They are correct...I don't. Most of my husband's acquaintances are perplexed how he gets his wife to join in manly adventures or tasks. His real male friends are amazed that I have gotten him to join in those same adventures. It is not biological...it is psychological across all spectrums...but mostly by those who refuse to accept that they are who they are as packaged at birth! Societal fads are bogus...just be you without mutilating yourself with drugs or surgery!

To me...that is the travesty of this movement. Be yourself! Screw the drugs and surgery. An adult Anorexic person will look in the mirror even at a deadly 70pounds and think they are fat! I know this watching my youngest daughter wasting away and suffering real physical harm to her heart, other organs, and brain! Counseling saved her...it is different in form but similiar in thinking. Transgenders need to learn to love themselves!

Edit add: Egad! Forgive my rant. Didn't realize how long I rambled and became too emotional. I could blame the wine...but we all know that inhibitions are often lowered when imbibing and personal truth will speak out.
edit on 10 31 2018 by CynConcepts because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2018 @ 08:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa
Hah. No my life would still suck just in different ways.

That's the spirit

But to the OP, whilst I disagree with the premise that trans is a mental illness I've got no idea.
For the sake of argument let's say it is...

What then?
Do we pump them full of meds that don't work until they start shooting up dance clubs?

Trans folk are already weird, there's no need to stick them with mental illness too.
Let them live their own lives and try your best not to smirk at the unconvincing ones.

Problem solved.

posted on Oct, 31 2018 @ 08:44 PM
link   
a reply to: CynConcepts

But it was a good rant. There is someone for everyone, we do not need to be altering our sex physically. These people having sex changes very often do not feel any better after the change. Confidence needs to be increased and learning to be satisfied with who and what you are is very important in this life. I could have been a rocket scientist but did not want to do that kind of stuff, I chose to learn many professions and actually felt a little guilty because I never worked my whole life in one field of work. But I could not do that, when I learned a lot I wanted to learn something new. How is this related to the thread? I didn't change myself physically, I chose to explore other ways of living.

posted on Oct, 31 2018 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Yes, because obviously psychologists and psychiatrists whose job this is, have just completely overlooked such a simple and easy thing to figure out.

And if they have figured out that connection, in like a published study, well then there ya go!

And there aren't any such papers or studies, so there ya go.

edit on 31-10-2018 by ghaleon12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2018 @ 09:20 PM
link   
a reply to: AndyFromMichigan

Well, the outcomes of surgery are about as advanced as something you'd see 100 years ago. So it'd make sense that it might not be what they thought it'd be.

It's an issue though that sorta needs to come from the source for understanding, you can't just "imagine" what it would be like and have that take precedence over an individuals real, lived experiences. That goes beyond trans issues.

posted on Oct, 31 2018 @ 09:34 PM
link   
a reply to: CynConcepts

Counseling alone has been tried. It didn’t work.

Anti-psychotic meds have been tried. They didn’t work.

Shock treatments have been tried. They didn’t work.

Being locked up in asylums has been tried. It didn’t work.

Now what?

posted on Oct, 31 2018 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Jesus H Christ

"i got drunk and decided that instead of actually researching this thing i know nothing about, maybe instead this physical condition related to hormones is aactually a case of people hallucinating voices??? what do you think, ATS? Most of you know less about this than i do so let's all bash some trans people!"

i can't believe this site is getting worse?? how is this site getting worse? are you people sharing a massive bottle of aggressively ignorant pills i don't know about? what's a girl got to do to get one of you ridiculous mishapen apes to open a single freaking page about real science - and by that i mean one that wasn't written for eight year olds in 1973 where the illustration of DNA has freaking googly eyes - just once before getting loaded and making a fool of yourself?
spewing.
edit on 31-10-2018 by continuousThunder because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2018 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Now what?

a reply to: kaylaluv
Change parents! I guess it was not your free choice to go through this?

posted on Oct, 31 2018 @ 09:47 PM
link   
oh and while i'm here, a lot of you are insisting that this is a social condition forced on pliable children.
anyone care to explain, then, how i lived in a small conservative country town and never heard a single word about anything to do with trans people until my 20's...... but i knew, consciously and acutely knew, that i was meant to be a girl when i was 13. i spent 7 years thinking i was the only one like me in the world until i found out it's a real thing.
so uhhh
got an explanation for that, social conditioning crew?
or are you gonna ignore/ridicule this because we all know you don't know HASH about my life and you're only doing this because we're a real easy target to distract you from your own miserable problems? get yourselves right.

posted on Oct, 31 2018 @ 09:52 PM
link   
a reply to: verschickter

I haven’t gone through anything. My point is, over the decades, many things have been attempted in treating people with gender dysphoria, and the only thing that helps is to transition to the level that the dysphoria is reduced enough to be manageable.

You guys got any better solutions (other than slapping one’s forehead and saying “I know! I’ll just be happy with the body I was born with!”), then get out there and make them happen. Take some trans people and let’s see how successful you are. Otherwise, you’re just going to have to admit you don’t know what the # you’re talking about.

posted on Oct, 31 2018 @ 10:01 PM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

I think you have a wrong picture about me because of our past discussions. That you think that I would think being transgender needs to be healed shocks me a bit.

That´s a silly thought. My standpoint is that until you are an adult and responsible for yourself, parents should not be allowed to let their child go through physical transition via hormones, operation or whatever.

Because kids are not fully developed yet. It might be a grave mistake to allow a minor such a life changing decission only for them to later (rightfully) blame their parents.

That´s why I wrote hormone levels should first settle after puberty before anything into that direction is done. It´s not to punish such a child but to protect it.

I think we can agree that this is for the good of the child, no? If they are an adult and responsible for their own life, they of course can do whatever they want.

My best friend was a tomboy-girl. Had her parents allowed her wish for a penis, she would be sad today. Turned out it had several reasons and only one being a body related reason. hormon regulating problems during early puberty. I recently spoke with her about exactly this topic in a calm minute.

Of course, the times back then were different. No one would have done the transition.

posted on Oct, 31 2018 @ 10:57 PM
link   
a reply to: twfau

Yes, lost touch of a reality founded in science. Unless, of course, you'd like to contribute something meaningful by offering your own scientific reasoning. "Because i feel" isn't a valid reason for anything after kindergarten

posted on Oct, 31 2018 @ 11:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mahogany

I do not believe so but anything is possible. At this point we do not know the cause of pretty much anything medical, on the grand scale of things.

Interesting thought though. It opens up the possibility to many other things being due to schizophrenia.

Imagine seeing a burning bush and hearing someone talk to you: schizo.
Imagine hearing god and talking to him through your daily prayer: schizo.
Seeing aliens and getting abducted: schizo.
Interacting with ghosts or hearing things in your house: schizo.

Etc...

Can you discount religion being started by schizophrenics and then it just caught on? None of us can, any more than Gay or Transgender people are schizophrenic.

Here is an interesting thought to me... being gay appears to be normal in the nature. Some 3% of the animals in hetero species still engage in gay sex. This does not help the species thrive but it still happens.

So at the very least, gay is normal and represented everywhere in nature, among many species and sub-species.

However, is there transgender in the nature? Will we ever know since animals can't talk to us? Does your male cat actually feel female? Does that female hippo wish she had a dong?

Well, not normal. 3% is pretty much the definition of outliers. What you meant to say was that it's an oddity, present in other species. I'm not used but, seriously, what's with people trying to normalize things in the name of science while simultaneously ignoring any basis in it?

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 04:35 AM
link   

In 2016 I saw someone here carry on about how we all need to accommodate people with multiple personality syndrome (in restrooms of course).

All this stuff strikes me as "enabling", that is, encouraging stuff that therapy to overcome it ought to be the real discussion.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join