It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Compassion

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2018 @ 11:17 PM
link   
"Sympathetic pity and concern for the suffering and misfortunes of others"

All it takes is a change of perspective. An exercise to practice compassion is trying to imagine where they are coming from. Especially if you feel rage about the person you cross. Look at their faces and try not to be negativ, instead see what they might go through.

One of the biggest favours you can do yourself and others is a smile and an understanding attitude. Something which seems to get lost in our every day life challenges.

Why is it beneficial? Because you'll find that there's no reason to fear other people. They all have a story which lead them down the path they're on. That's the secret of humanism. You don't have to be religious to know that it is how you'd want to be treated as well. We all wish for others to understand our behaviour.

Compassion and understanding could make this world a much better place and it is a great medicine against ones own bitterness.

posted on Oct, 20 2018 @ 11:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Peeple

And if TSHTF?

What then?

Millions of compassionate, wonderful people, simply cease to exist.

Nature is a bitch, hehe.
edit on 20-10-2018 by MteWamp because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2018 @ 11:34 PM
link   
a reply to: MteWamp

One could argue that we as humans evolved that far because compassion leads to cooperation. A group is stronger than the individual.

posted on Oct, 20 2018 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Would you feel bad if that happenned?
Try and help anyone?

I know for me my survival chances are well above average in disaster situations. Im not very prepared, but theres probably 100 semi strangers who have my back because I had theirs.

Even now im reaping the rewards of helping people financially because now i just have money even though i cant access my accounts.

Of course compassion is a human trait in the heart that comes before reward risk benefit algorithms in the brain.

I can't help but to love all you crazies. Just wish you'd stop hurting yourselves so much.

edit on 20-10-2018 by Reverbs because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2018 @ 11:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Peeple

One could argue that we as humans evolved that far because compassion leads to cooperation. A group is stronger than the individual.

One absolutely could argue that.

And they would be correct.

But at what point do the rights of the individual interfere with the well being of the "collective", or the "state"?

Where is that line drawn?

Individual liberty must be respected, yes?

posted on Oct, 20 2018 @ 11:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Reverbs

Would you feel bad if that happenned?
Try and help anyone?

I know for me my survival chances are well above average in disaster situations. Im not very prepared, but theres probably 100 semi strangers who have my back because I had theirs.

Even now im reaping the rewards of helping people financially because now i just have money even though i cant access my accounts.

Of course compassion is a human trait in the heart that comes before reward risk benefit algorithms in the brain.

I can't help but to love all you crazies. Just wish you'd stop hurting yourselves so much.

Can't access your accounts?

How unfortunate for you.

posted on Oct, 20 2018 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Cool, no need for gasping, I call just for a little understanding, collectivism is not even on the horizon.

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 12:04 AM
link   

How would you "gasp" in this context?

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 12:07 AM
link   

You seemed to with your leap to feel your individual liberty endangered by a little compassion.

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 12:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Peeple

You seemed to with your leap to feel your individual liberty endangered by a little compassion.

I'm gonna stop you there.

Get some schooling, and I'll talk to you when you can speak (or type) English.

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Compassion and understanding could make this world a much better place and it is a great medicine against ones own bitterness.

From this thread. www.abovetopsecret.com...

. . . there's a lot of very ignorant people getting instance access to here who have no wish to be British or kind to others..FACT...Not a bigot fact, a simple truth that is ignored by most people. If you invite people who do these things in their country do you really think they stop at the customs area in the UK . . .

. . . it's the kindness of those here that's allowing it. Kindness needs to be combined with thought or it will destroy itself.

Unthinking compassion can lead to the destruction of compassion.

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 12:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kester

From this thread. www.abovetopsecret.com...

. . . there's a lot of very ignorant people getting instance access to here who have no wish to be British or kind to others..FACT...Not a bigot fact, a simple truth that is ignored by most people. If you invite people who do these things in their country do you really think they stop at the customs area in the UK . . .

. . . it's the kindness of those here that's allowing it. Kindness needs to be combined with thought or it will destroy itself.

Unthinking compassion can lead to the destruction of compassion.

So what's the end game ? From here it looks like you are saying because some people take advantage of other people's compassion there shouldn't be any at all .

The only reason we even have a civilisation is because people worked together to make it happen. Where do we draw the line exactly I guess is key to making it work.

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 12:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Kester

Everything excessive is destructive.

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 01:58 AM
link   

I like this topic. Maybe I will learn something.

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 02:02 AM
link   
compassion is not pity. compassion when you are comfortable i am comfortable. if somebody is not comfortable we can beat them up to be comfortable.

edit on 21-10-2018 by Damla because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 02:17 AM
link   

too bad they wont beat me up today

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 03:53 AM
link   

You're gonna butt up against the upside-down Zeitgeist we see on social media. Compassion is bad, self-interest is good. Tolerance is bad, disapproval is good. Distrust your neighbours, trust your leaders.

Compassion is a determining factor of us as social creatures and an expression of love on some levels. It used to be a defining quality of heroes who'd risk their lives to save others and would never leave anyone behind. Christian values promote tolerance and compassion. Furthermore our whole field of medical science was borne of it. I agree with your other post how we'd never have made it this far as a human race without it.

In trying to think of an analogy, my mind imagined radio waves. Like them, our compassion is stronger towards those whom we're closest to and disperses according to distance.

Thankfully the world's also big enough to accommodate people who aren't compassionate.

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 03:59 AM
link   
Its a strange thing that people who preach love and compassion cant really put it in practice that well and engage constantly in acts of self importance.

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 04:11 AM
link   
a reply to: AthlonSavage

How would you know? I won't disagree when it comes to politicians, super-rich and celebs. Let's host a million dollar charity event, get dressed up and hit the red carpet!!

With normal people compassion occurs on a smaller scale and doesn't get the plaudits. That's my experience anyway and subject to change according to my mood. When we're in a darker place, we see darker things in life etc. Then again, during my lowest periods in life I found my compassion and empathy were at higher levels. Maybe the happier we are, the less we're concerned with others? I've confused myself now.

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 04:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

compassion is the mask over feeling sorry and sorry is the mask over self importance that you are better off than the wretch you feel compassion for.
Self important people have volumes of compassion and will careers as politicians, Philanthropists etc etc as vehicles to dish out their compassion which is really just their own self important egos.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join