It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ubuntu 18.10 IS Ready For Download.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2018 @ 04:38 PM
link   
On schedule The latest Version of the Ubuntu is ready for you to Download and enjoy.
Say goodbye to viruses and spyware.. and Big Brother Microsoft.

www.ubuntu.com...

posted on Oct, 20 2018 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Does this originate in South Africa ?

a reply to: rigel4

posted on Oct, 20 2018 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Nice to know, thanks. I have been using Linux and Linux alone for about 5 years now. When I have to get on a Windows machine at work it sucks.

And it's not just goodbye to viruses and spyware, it is hello to all the free software you need or want. Not to mention the OS is free.

Some of it takes time to get used to, like switching from Photoshop to GIMP, it is worth it though. Tons of free software to find and explore in the repositories.

posted on Oct, 20 2018 @ 05:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Plotus

It is produced by Canonical

Canonical Ltd. is a UK-based privately held computer software company founded and funded by South African entrepreneur Mark Shuttleworth to market commercial support and related services for Ubuntu and related projects. Canonical employs staff in more than 30 countries and maintains offices in London, Austin, Boston, Shanghai, Beijing, Taipei, and the Isle of Man.

posted on Oct, 20 2018 @ 05:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Plotus

Canonical Ltd.[6] is a UK-based privately held computer software company founded and funded by South African entrepreneur Mark Shuttleworth to market commercial support and related services for Ubuntu and related projects. Canonical employs staff in more than 30 countries and maintains offices in London, Austin, Boston, Shanghai, Beijing, Taipei, and the Isle of Man.[7]
- Wiki - Canonical

I'm currently running 18.04 LTS on all of my computers. Very solid OS. I have Steam for Linux and Windows installed under Ubuntu on my Alienware 17r4.

posted on Oct, 20 2018 @ 05:40 PM
link   
@ LookingAtMars, beat me to it.

posted on Oct, 20 2018 @ 05:42 PM
link   
I had this on a previous computer, it was great. I might just go for this again. At the time it was a group out of South Africa if I remember correctly, Firefox was part of it I think. It's been a few years back.

posted on Oct, 20 2018 @ 05:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: mockingmay
@ LookingAtMars, beat me to it.

We even used the same source

posted on Oct, 20 2018 @ 05:54 PM
link   
a reply to: LookingAtMars

You can install Photoshop and most other Windows-based software on Linux using Wine / PlayonLinux. I have Ubuntu/Windows 10 dual-boot installed on the 128GB SSD and my Windows games and Linux /home partition on the 1TB drive.

posted on Oct, 20 2018 @ 05:59 PM
link   
I upgraded from 16.04 to 18.04 several weeks ago. Can anyone tell me how to use Shotwell? It is the only thing I liked better on my Mac OS. In particular, I can't seem to get Shotwell to give me a photo to post on the www.

posted on Oct, 20 2018 @ 06:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Lazarus Short

I personally haven't used Shotwell. I did find this link that may help.

How to publish photos to the web using Shotwell

Also, please make sure that you add the account for Facebook, Flickr, etc under Settings > Online Accounts in Gnome or whatever desktop environment you are using and enable photo permissions. You may need to restart Shotwell after adding the accounts.
edit on 10/20/2018 by mockingmay because: Added information

posted on Oct, 20 2018 @ 06:10 PM
link   

You can install Photoshop and most other Windows-based software on Linux using Wine / PlayonLinux. I have Ubuntu/Windows 10 dual-boot installed on the 128GB SSD and my Windows games and Linux /home partition on the 1TB drive.

Lololol I love my OS to run on shoe strings..

When they get a working desktop maybe then but it's still not ready yet.

posted on Oct, 20 2018 @ 06:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Parishna

I don't like to be spied on, I prefer to be in control of my computer, and Ubuntu offers 8+ different desktops to choose from.

For anyone else that is interested, here is a popular link that shows available Linux distributions with a lot of information.
Distrowatch
edit on 10/20/2018 by mockingmay because: Added link to distrowatch

posted on Oct, 20 2018 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Total respect for Linux

posted on Oct, 20 2018 @ 07:01 PM
link   

I switched from kubuntu to KDE neon a while back. It runs on the latest ubuntu LTS but keeps up to date with the newest KDE packages. I've used KDE for years. I'm a big fan of the qt project in general and have always been pleased by the amount of customization and control KDE allows.

originally posted by: Parishna

Lololol I love my OS to run on shoe strings..

When they get a working desktop maybe then but it's still not ready yet.

Lol a shoe string os...

All I know is, I can update my os without worrying about my os deleting my files. I also don't worry about having ads or spyware built into my operating system.

Or the many, many, security exploits (each word is a separate link for a current security vulnerability) that windows suffers from.

Then...well....there's just Microsoft itself.

But personally I like being in control of my computer, I have all the development, design, publishing, cad and miscellaneous software I need. I have more than enough games, for the amount I play these days, through steam, emulators, native binaries and wine than i'll likely end up playing. I can update without worries they happen when and how I want, I have complete knowledge and control of all configuration files, what's actively running in memory, what's accessing what file without any registry or hidden settings. I have a consistent, easily configurable ui across all my applications. Nothing happens on my computer that I don't know about.

Never once when I used windows could I say all of these things.

Plus i'd like to see you try running windows partitioned across 4 separate USB sticks because your master boot record died due to some windows specific bull#.
edit on 20/10/2018 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2018 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Say goodbye to viruses and spyware.. and Big Brother Microsoft.

I don't see any reason to use Linux other than some nerdish bragging rights.
nobody gets virus' anymore, and nobody is spying on you.

posted on Oct, 20 2018 @ 08:20 PM
link   

When I have to get on a Windows machine at work it sucks.

I used to be an adventurer like you , until I took a penguin to the knee

posted on Oct, 20 2018 @ 11:31 PM
link   
a reply to: mockingmay

THANKS!

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 09:33 AM
link   
For those that don't know you can install Windows (any version) inside of Linux by running a virtual machine. It basically runs Windows as a program within Linux, so you have a program window called "Windows 7 machine", or whatever, and inside that window is everything that would be on a normal windows machine - all the programs you could want to install and run.

Virtual machines have so many advantages, especially when using Windows OS because it makes creating backups so easy and rolling back systems to before a problem happened.

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 11:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Plotus

No it originates from the Isle Of Man (UK)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join