It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do you pay to play?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Just a curious 'general chat' human thread about how other members do it.
It has been a mantra to my son all his life "You've gotta pay to play" and he's doing good, qualified plumber earning more money than me lol, but he does work longer hours, and has a 'sparkly' girlfriend he spends loads on at bistro's or whatever haha.

Me, I'm a lazy bastard these days, I'm in property maintenance/building/construction, been self employed for a decade or so, I only work enough to cover the bills, usually 2-3 days a week although I am doing 5 days this week. I've done loads of stuff from central government and full time reserve service to waste landfill operative while at university. I've worked from age 16 and folk in the UK who whine 'there's no work' I say bollocks, there is plenty, no matter your skill or educational attainment.

So, how do you pay to play?
I know we have lawyers, foundry workers, and nightclub bouncers on ATS so share the love for whatever it is you do. As a fellow human I say respect whatever it is while you pay to play in life.

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 04:18 PM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

I stick a $20 in the machine and hit max bet. That's how I pay to play

Las Vegas resident here

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 04:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Vector99
Haha no way, a pro gambler! I stick £10 on my online betting account maybe once every 6 weeks, I'm crap at it, I do long accumulator bets on with multiple games, maybe win 50 quid or whatever then blow it on roulette lol
edit on 8-10-2018 by CornishCeltGuy because: spelling accumulator lol

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 04:23 PM
link   

So what you're saying is the wife handles the monthly bills then?? Jus' joking, Vector.

Freelance Videographer/Editor/Motion Graphics...really need a wife to pay the bills!!

edit on 8-10-2018 by The GUT because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 04:24 PM
link   
I work as a Spad.
edit on 8-10-2018 by biggilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 04:27 PM
link   
a reply to: biggilo
Ooh in NI? must be a strange role with no legislative assembly going on!

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 04:29 PM
link   
I'm kept busy enough though some of my colleagues aren't too popular at the moment with the whole RHI thing.

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 04:31 PM
link   
a reply to: biggilo
Haha busy is better than bored!

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 04:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: The GUT

So what you're saying is the wife handles the monthly bills then?? Jus' joking, Vector.

NOOOOO

I'm smart, I'm single.

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 04:33 PM
link   
I'm never bored

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Haha no way, a pro gambler!

Well, more like a pro hvac tech, and a part-time failing gambler, though I have won about $2500 in the last month (been REALLY lucky)

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Plumbers are the most, my son quickly went to 1 million in worth, 8 years or so.....age of 33 when he got that mark

Me, I try to make a dime just a walking in the woods...if I could I'd be doin pretty good
If I can make a nickel just a reel in in bass I'd never worry bout the price of gas, just hunt in and fish in and loving everyday

Y'all ready to go there in our mind......c'mon, I love to see those tall pine trees sway, above the guerilla patch that's making the pay just hunt in and fish in and loving everyday
edit on 8-10-2018 by GBP/JPY because: IN THE FINE TEXAS TRADITION

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Haha fair one, I get ya!
I'm crap at gambling, honestly, my ten quid deposit to my online account is for 4-6 weeks of fun, nothing else.
I like doing accumulator bets which would make 20 grand if they come off from a £1 bet lol, the 'cash-out' option is where I win, then I blow it on live roulette lol.

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 04:45 PM
link   
a reply to: GBP/JPY
My son was telling me Friday night how he is looking forward to paying me for work and making my 'older life' as chilled as he can...we agreed a silly thing which I'd seen on a van previously, I want a limited company called [Family name] and dad Ltd emblazoned on my van for when I work haha, I'd love to take the position compared to [Family name] and son Ltd.
If he can pull off his business empire dreams then brilliant, would be perfect for me lol
EDIT
He wants to be a full time rugby player though, that's his dream, just getting noticed by a bigger club in the English league...I of course support all his dreams!
edit on 8-10-2018 by CornishCeltGuy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 05:10 PM
link   

He wants to be a full time rugby player though, that's his dream

That means he wants you to drive the bus

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 05:17 PM
link   
I've no PSV licence so that ain't happening, I'll be doing as I have since he was 6 years old, cheering from the sidelines with a pint in my hand.

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 05:17 PM
link   
a reply to: The GUT

Freelance Videographer/Editor/Motion Graphics...really need a wife to pay the bills!!

With your contributions on UFO's we know you are controlled opposition ( just joking )

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 05:24 PM
link   

LOL or to work on sewerage jobs?

Only kidding

hey CornishCeltGuy

theres benefits in what your son proposes, writing your wages off as an expense - then he gets it all back when you give it all back through his inheritance. - your son's a smart cookie!

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Sort of self employed - driving around delivering Courier work. Beauty of it is getting time to think.

Used to be in restaurants, thankless weary money pit industry.

One of my friends does same work as you - always plenty of work around in that industry.

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 05:35 PM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight
First year or so as an employed plumber my lad also registered as self employed so the loss he made buying his own tools etc he got claimed back from the tax he paid as an employee. Basically his taxes went on tools instead of the govt getting it. He's sharp but I've taught him every legal avoidance process. Avoidance of tax is legal in the UK, just evasion is not.

I've done courier, I quite enjoyed it, only did a summer but got to visit loads of places in Britain which I'd never been to before.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join