It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange sighting. Anyone tracking anything?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Hi all. Currently on holiday in South Spain, Costa Almeria. Yesterday we both heard an unusually loud plane above us but due to low cloud cover we didn't see anything. Anyway, just now, the same thing. A plane came over from the North, abruptly turned and set off back the same way. And this was not only loud but REALLY travelling. Hard to make out a shape (other than maybe a bone?) but it was bloody rapid.

It looked to be at the same height as a conventional airliner but I have never seen one transit my view as quickly as this. Also couldn't have been civilian as they wouldn't turn back on themselves. The speed and noise also made me wonder if it was something supersonic? Anyway, I know people on here can track certain things and wondered if anything unusual in this airspace right now?

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 09:52 AM
link   
a reply to: expatwhite

If it was supersonic you would have heard the boom, and there would have been no mistaking it.

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Just checked ADS-B and FL-24. Nothing showing of interest

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 09:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

It was hard to describe, it wasn't a boom, more than a really deep rumbling, much louder than normal. And when it u turned it really started moving. Like I said, it transitted my field of view unbelievably quickly.

Just wondered if maybe something was going on in the med?

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 10:00 AM
link   
a reply to: nelloh62

Oh well. Thanks for looking. Just really puzzled both me and the wife. Why it turned back on itself though will remain a mystery! It was strange enough for me to leave the pool and come back to the room to post this.

Back to the San Miguel I guess

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 10:04 AM
link   

That sounds like exhaust noise rebounding off the cloud layer.

Blue Whale 2018 ends on the 7th.

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 10:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: expatwhite

Oh well. Thanks for looking. Just really puzzled both me and the wife. Why it turned back on itself though will remain a mystery! It was strange enough for me to leave the pool and come back to the room to post this.

Back to the San Miguel I guess

No probs, It's always worth a shout. Plus, whatever was there, may not have the transponder on.

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 10:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

The airbus thing? Definitely not that, wings were far too swept from what we could tell.

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 10:16 AM
link   

No, it's a multinational exercise lead by Turkey in the Med.

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 10:24 AM
link   

As Zaph said, Blue Whale 2018 is a Military Exercise in the Eastern Med Led by Turkey. Many Nations involved, but I think Spain has a Frigate there. Being part of Nato, they may also have aircraft involved

www.dailysabah.com...

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Turkey will join the Blue Whale 2018 with four frigates, five submarines, Two Corvettes , a logistics support vessel, a patrol vessel, six helicopters and a number of air force units.

😆

Edit: It can't be what I'm thinking.
edit on 2-10-2018 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 10:33 AM
link   
He may have heard some fighter jets off of the coast.

They tend to be really loud.

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 10:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bigburgh

Turkey will join the Blue Whale 2018 with four frigates, five submarines, Two Corvettes , a logistics support vessel, a patrol vessel, six helicopters and a number of air force units.

😆

Edit: It can't be what I'm thinking.

One is named after the other.

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 10:49 AM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

Annnnd a little digging...
www.naval-technology.com...

Milgem Class corvettes are being built for the Turkish Navy under the Turkish national warship programme known as Milgem. Eight corvettes and four F-100 Class frigates will be constructed under the programme. The new Milgem Class multimission corvettes feature stealth technologies and can perform search, rescue, patrol, observation and ant

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 10:57 AM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

Myron E.Scott named the car "Corvette". I think he worked for Chevrolet

www.thegentlemanracer.com...

Good lord, I must have nothing better to do than google that !!!

I'm off to get a life now !
edit on 2102018 by nelloh62 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Saturday afternoon something must have been going at the South Bend Ind airport. We were at a party about 8 miles north when this sound like a jet but 10 times as loud just overtook us. Lasted a long time then just stopped. It just covered up all other sound and we all stared in that general direction then when it stopped it what the hell was that????

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 12:40 PM
link   
a reply to: grey580

Wasnt a fighter, miles too big. I know it sounds weird but honestly looked a bit like a bone. Maybe it was something to do with what Zaphod58 said and was part of the exercise. Sort of makes sense, flew out over the med and turned straight back when detected and got out fast. Would that be something they did?

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 01:18 PM
link   

So, something large with swept wings, probably jet powered due to noise and capable of high speeds.

How maneuverable was it, the way you describe it turning back sounds like it was a tight turn.

Honestly, I can only guess you saw a F-18. Nothing much fits the description, nothing the Spanish air force would be fielding. Jets are not exactly small, F-18 is still 60ft.

I don't recall seeing any military planes when visiting Southern Spain... Lots and lots of air traffic though.

A bone, like nose wings (canards) or the whole thing looked like a bone? We're talking cartoon shaped bone right?
edit on 2-10-2018 by RAY1990 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 04:49 PM
link   
a reply to: RAY1990

I think he means a B-1.

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Simulated antiship, or mining mission.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join