It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brexit is a Mess, how do we Fix it.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 03:18 PM
link   
I think its reasonably fair to say that most people be them leave or remain for Brexit can all admit one thing.

The British Government has totally messed this up and it needs fixed otherwise come next march we are totally screwed as a country. I personally blame Mays government for getting us into this mess but now that we are in it we need to fix it.

Full disclosure I am all for remaining in the EU, if we got a second referendum (which I think we need) I will still vote remain. I do not think contrary to what many argue that a second referendum is going against the will of the British people depending on the nature of the question. Multiple referendums have happened in the past in the EU such as Ireland and the Lisbon Treaty. I also really don’t believe the British public had enough information regarding the consequences of Brexit when it came to the first referendum.

And the consequences look severe.

We have the government instructing pharmaceutical firms to start talking up on medication because a no deal situation raise questions about our ability to import goods. There have been very serious warnings about chaos at the border crossings that could lead to massive economic pressure. The housing market could potentially collapse, the lack of skilled immigration is already a massive problem, jobs will be lost, BMW has already come out and said they will be shutting their UK plant for a month after Brexit as part of their contingencies. The list goes and those who are all for a no-deal outcome will call this “project fear” but I say the “fear” is real. And that’s not even getting into the problems that we are going to have with the Irish boarder.

Not only that but let’s face it, it’s just not in in the EU’s interest to let the UK have a nice easy exit. They do that other euro-sceptic nations are going to be looking to leave before long. Sure, the EU might take a hit if the UK have a ugly exit but honestly, in the long term it seems to me that its very much in their interest to make Brexit as hard as possible to deter other nations.

Hell, even that idiot Farage has got back into things because he’s unhappy with the government’s proposals to leave, just like the EU is unhappy with the so-called Checkers deal. Let’s not talk about Boris…..

The point is this, Brexit is a mess, we need to fix it so how do we do it without screwing over the entire country. Personally, I think at the very least we need an extension on the negotiation period and we need the government to get their act together.

Figured this could make for a interesting discussion.

edit on 19-9-2018 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

+18 more 
posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 03:48 PM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Multiple referendums have happened in the past in the EU such as Ireland and the Lisbon Treaty.

I don't know the details off hand, but I will say that multiple referendums is an indication that the losing side wants a re-vote, then another, then another, until it finally goes their way.

That's not democracy.

+16 more 
posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 03:51 PM
link   

In the opinion of an outsider casually glancing in, you need someone with a lot more spine than Theresa May who will walk into the room, pull the switch, and make a clean break from the EU.

To make a world class omolette, you need to break some eggs.

+12 more 
posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 03:54 PM
link   

If remainers had won the 1st vote by the same margin as Leave, we wouldn't be talking about this.

NO to 2nd vote, and NO Deal Brexit preferred.

NO EU control over the UK .

That's my stand.

However... No one is allowed to leave the EU, So the UK whiners will get their 2nd vote.

That's NOT Democracy. (Facepalm)

+8 more 
posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 03:59 PM
link   

The majority who voted, voted OUT.

Out means OUT. With or without a deal. So what are you complaining about exactly?

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Soooo, what if you win the next election and the pro-Brexit people want another vote? I'll take a wild guess and say they wont get a repeat. Which is probably why so many want to leave the EU, because people who support it have a tyrannical streak?

I mean you're sitting here rationalizing over turning a democratic election because you didnt like the result. Rationalization is something the left seems to do a lot of and its very dangerous.

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 04:11 PM
link   
I plan on voting leave in an effort to **ss the government off

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 04:20 PM
link   
From £350 million on the side of a bus to taking # at the side of the motorway.

BATTLE OF THE PORTALOO M20 to have 13-mile long line of Portaloos to cater for queues of trucks in event of no-deal Brexit

Well done chumps. You can blame May all you want, The fall lies with the gullible pricks that believe the pro-Brexiters lies in the first place. You, You caused this mess.

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 04:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Thejoncrichton
Soooo, what if you win the next election and the pro-Brexit people want another vote? I'll take a wild guess and say they wont get a repeat. Which is probably why so many want to leave the EU, because people who support it have a tyrannical streak?

I mean you're sitting here rationalizing over turning a democratic election because you didnt like the result. Rationalization is something the left seems to do a lot of and its very dangerous.

What like Nige

www-bbc-co-uk.cdn.ampproject.org... rer=https://www.google.com&_tf=From%20%251%24s

m-huffingtonpost-co-uk.cdn.ampproject.org... _gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQCCAE%3D#referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&_tf=From%20%251%24s&share=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.huffingtonpost.co.uk%2Fentry%2Fnige l-farage-52-48_uk_5820dc7ce4b020461a1d5fd9

edit on 19-9-2018 by ScepticScot because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-9-2018 by ScepticScot because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-9-2018 by ScepticScot because: Feck it links not playing.

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 04:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Soloprotocol
From £350 million on the side of a bus to taking # at the side of the motorway.

BATTLE OF THE PORTALOO M20 to have 13-mile long line of Portaloos to cater for queues of trucks in event of no-deal Brexit

Well done chumps. You can blame May all you want, The fall lies with the gullible pricks that believe the pro-Brexiters lies in the first place. You, You caused this mess.

Hey am not disagreeing.

I want that £250 mill.

I think the entire vote was messed up right from the start but we are in this mess now regardless and need to figure out how to fix it.

Like I said, I personally believe at the very least they need to be asking about extending the negotiations and then we can take things from there. I know that there has been some discussion about delaying it until December.

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Given the likes of Farage, Boris, Rees Mogg, all made a fortune shorting Sterling, I think they probably qualify as traitors to the state at this point. Particularly as Farage and Mogg and a bunch of other Brexiteers are in the pay of the Russians.

The word 'treason' starts to seem appropriate...

As to how to deal with the mess of it, I just don't know. The problem is there is no good outcome from Brexit, just a whole bunch of painful expensive unnecessary mess.

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 04:28 PM
link   

We don't bloody do it that's how we fix it!

Nobody in there right mind wants Brexit any longer now that we know what it entails.

Aside from mad Tory bastards that wish nothing more than to line there own pockets at the expense of the rest of our population.

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 04:31 PM
link   

They should just keep having votes until it finally goes in your favor. Best of three; if that dont work go for best of five.

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 04:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

They should just keep having votes until it finally goes in your favor. Best of three; if that dont work go for best of five.

You think campaigning for leave would have stopped if remain won?

+2 more 
posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 04:39 PM
link   
People seem to forget that a sizeable amount of us who campaigned and voted for leave have been lifelong Eurosceptics and promises on a bus has absolutely nothing to do with how we voted.

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 04:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

Nobody in there right mind wants Brexit any longer now that we know what it entails.

They were talking to some German car manufacturers and they are ready to throw the UK under a bus. The car makers work hand in hand wit the German government and they are going to take the hit on us as a market as the single market is massively more important to them. We are small fry. The EU is what counts to them. The car makers towed the line when sanctions were placed on Russia, basically a similar exercise in losing a market sector, sure they lost some trade but they did what the German government expected of them and protected the all important single market. Expect the same with our market too.

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 04:43 PM
link   
I think that for something as important as leaving the EU we should have had a mandatory vote by all UK citizens. I know the turnout was quite good (over 70%) but for this it should have been higher with polling stations open for a few days.

Be that as it may, we did get a result (one I disagree with) however we should not have another vote; it's done and voting again just because some feel we didn't get the right outcome doesn't sit well with me. Just get on with it now.

I am proud of my country, and it's achievements - but that was then back when we had massive industries and we were he workshop of the world, now I fear we don't have the skill base or facilities to do anything like we did in the past. I cant see the fishing fleets rebuilding themselves or all of the coal mines re-opening or the steel plants firing up again.

I hope I'm wrong, and everything works out.
edit on 19-9-2018 by 42dragonfly because: (no reason given)

link   
a reply to: biggilo

The message on the bus i.e an extra £350 million to The NHS. This extra £350 million was AFTER we came out of The E.U. and stopped paying the £billions we do into The E.U. budget.

We are still paying into The E.U. until March 2019.

link   
The EU was a mess in the first place. On the night that the UK and Norway were to join the EU and sign agreements, the EU tacked on extra conditions that gave the rest of Europe access to fishing waters. That has come back to bite them like a mutant Megalodon shark 50 years later.

They couldn't even get a consistent migration policy to handle the illegal immigrants from Africa. Spain, Italy, Portugal and Greece bear the brunt of the invasion, forcing the countries into international debt and IMF bailouts. Some parts of EU just close their borders, others think the immigrants should be doled out between countries, even though they just want to go to those countries with the highest cost of living. France just waves them through to England.

EU never considered that some countries would ever want to leave, so there are no mechanisms to allow a country to disconnect cleanly like cancelling a club membership. They don't want to make it easy for the UK to leave because then other countries who put in more than they get out, would want to leave as well.

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 04:44 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Yup but the problem seems to be a total lack of political will to do anything to bring that about.

May has ruled out a second referendum time and time again.

That really does leave us with the only option of a general election but she won't do that and even if she were to do it Labour aren't much better and haven't really committed on a second referendum or have a clear plan for what they would do.

Still a mess.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join