It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Pair of WWII Bunkers in New Orleans Contains 7 Million Fish

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 08:29 PM
link   
From the article:

"Hidden in a bend of the Mississippi River just south of New Orleans, 29 concrete bunkers lie on a grid of dirt and grass roads. Some hold remnants from the past—40-year-old gas masks and biohazard signs still hang on a wall. Most of them have been abandoned for decades. But inside two of those bunkers, 15 million fish eyes stare at the walls through the glass of their jars. This is the Royal D. Suttkus Fish Collection, the largest collection of preserved fish in the world, and almost no one knows it exists."

This is definitely something I have never heard of before. Anyone familiar with same?

And deeper into the article:

"Because the property was not designed to accommodate visitors, they do not have the capacity to open to the public, and so they remain an unintentional secret outside of the ichthyology bubble."

"But Mann is trying to change that. He’s recently started to do outreach projects to spread the word that the collection exists, that it’s important, and that it needs the public’s support. The situation is even more precarious because of the property. The land itself is an unofficial wildlife preserve and a trove of archeological treasures and history waiting to be discovered."

Anyone up for a treasure hunt?

Source: www.atlasobscura.com...

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 08:32 PM
link   
I'll bring the crackers and hot-sauce.

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 08:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: skunkape23

What no gumbo?

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 08:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: manta78

What no gumbo?

Naaaaa not with preserved fish, you want fresh fish for that!

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 08:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Whatthedoctorordered

originally posted by: manta78

What no gumbo?

Naaaaa not with preserved fish, you want fresh fish for that!

True...what was I thinking.....lol

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Can't they just say seven and a half million fish instead of using fish eyes which makes it seem like double the amount of fish?

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Seems like a potential fish DNA bank unless they destroyed the DNA.....seems like it is worth protecting like the seed vault we protect....we should likely have DNA vaults of all life on earth because we are such screwups we could kill anything at any time including ourselves.

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 02:13 AM
link   
7 million fish - with 15 million eyes - thats quite a few " blinkys "

top topics

join