It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In search of stories [REL2018]

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 02:47 AM
link   
Such a simple thing, to hold so much history. Just a hunk of rock, and yet it contains so much memory it's unbelievable. The others have spread over the planet, on what remains of its surface, where it seemed the Tool using group dominated most of what had been their natural environment. They treated it horrible, truth be told, though not as terribly as they treated each other, all things considered.

So much pain, and joy, intertwined in a brief yet rich experience here on this planet, the third from its system star. The planet- the Humans called it Earth- is desolate, as much from their violent passing as from the star nearing its nova. Those two words, "Earth" and "Humans" are the two strongest focal points for the memories contained inside the relic.

I find it interesting to note that despite their continued warlike nature, the other words that filter to the surface are "Peace", "Progress", and "knowledge". I feel I could spend a lifetime here, with this rock, sifting out the paradoxical nature of the beings in its recordings. For a more curious species I've never witnessed; one whose words speak a different history than the one which they've lived.

Many of the others who came with me have had to leave. Perhaps they weren't ready for the level of conflict these Humans embodied, or perhaps they couldn't stomach it. I think it's beautiful, a thing of true wonder. There is no name for what I am, what we are, not really. You might call us carrion, the way we flit among the ruins of civilizations long gone. We taste the lives of those who have gone before, experiencing the joys and pains which we have long forgotten. We watch, and we record, and we judge.

Yes, judge; for we see the meanings held in dramas writ small and large from our viewpoint nearing infinity. We see the quiet moments, the hidden lesson, and layered truths. We validate those forgotten, we witness with solemnity the myriad private victories all but forgotten to even time itself.

I am not the oldest of our kind, but I have wandered since time immemorial and never found a story like this , so rich and painful and bittersweet. I, with as insatiable an appetite as any of my kind, have finally found the meal which promises to sate my eternal hunger.

And what I eat shall then be passed to the Eternal Record the sum total of existence as experienced by such species evolved enough to have awareness of existence. Yes, I know I shall spend the rest of my life here, for even should i finish following the humans, there are still several other sapient creatures which had called this planet their home.

End

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 03:37 AM
link   
a reply to: LucidWarrior

Great mate!

Kind regards,

bally

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Such a creative take on the theme! I really enjoyed the read, beautiful.

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Bravo! Talking about a bigger picture, very original!

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 12:19 PM
link   
A unique and beautiful take on the human experience observed from an outside source. Wonderful!

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Thank you each for reading, relishing, and replying!

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 06:13 PM
link   
You have a writers imagination LucidWarrior. Always a pleasure to read your writings.

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 11:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Sheye

Glad could be of such service!

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 06:16 AM
link   

That was cool, put me in mind of some of the old 2000AD stories, the way you wrote it

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 12:37 AM
link   
a reply to: SprocketUK

Glad you enjoyed it!

2000AD stories, what are those? Stories on here from 2000?

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 04:42 AM
link   

An old comic I used to read as a kid (and occasionally as an adult) en.wikipedia.org...

Often dark, dystopian things, most famously, its where Judge Dredd came from

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 05:32 AM
link   

Mother Earth never forgets.

posted on Sep, 30 2018 @ 10:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Vroomfondel

Indeed. I didn't write it clearly enough, the rock that was referred to was the planet herself

new topics

top topics

join