It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

T-X betting pool

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 06:03 PM
link   
a reply to: anzha

It also would depend on just how much of the aft fuselage SAAB is building. They might build the aft fuselage framing, and engine bays, which wouldn't be composite, and Boeing finishes it with panels and some structures using their composites.

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 06:03 PM
link   

True. Im no expert in export laws. But if SAAB were working on non composite structures then they would be free and clear to use it. If they are I don't think it would be too difficult to get SAAB cleared especially with production being here int he US.

Im also thinking there will not be a ton of composites in the airframe given how expensive they still are plus the overall goal to keep costs down. Boeing would not want to take a bunch of charges if they fall behind in development.

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 06:05 PM
link   
While this is a huge win. Of the three (MH-139, MQ-25, or the T-X) which to you think has a longer term impact?

Im going with the MQ-25A in terms of future tech. The T-X is a nice one, but not really anything but evolutionary, and the MH-139 is a warmed over medium lift security bird

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 06:14 PM
link   
a reply to: FredT

The MQ-25 is using a number of things that Boeing had already developed for other programs though.

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 06:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

The MQ-25 is using a number of things that Boeing had already developed for other programs though.

True, but in terms of future growth it seems the more robust program. The trainer market will max out pretty quick after the initial surge but the tanker may have a whole slew of derivatives plus give them a existing Naval platform leverage cause we all know the Navy hates change

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 06:50 PM
link   

I'll be surprised if they build many more than the four EMD aircraft before the Navy changes their mind and kills the program. The existing contract is only for those four aircraft.

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 07:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

The Air Force expects to purchase 351 T-X aircraft, also known as Advanced Pilot Training aircraft, as well as 46 simulators, and additional parts and services.

* This is a so-called "indefinite-delivery/indefinite-quantity" contract and under the existing terms, the Air Force could potentially order as many as 475 planes and 120 simulators.

* The contract would only hit its full $9.2 billion value if the Air Force exercises all of its options and buys that larger number of aircraft.

* Around $813 million of the $9.2 billion contract covers building five pre-production examples of the planes and seven simulators.

* After that, the Air Force could buy the aircraft in two low-rate initial production lots, followed by at least eight lots of full-rate production, for a total of 10 lots.

* The contract starts out as a fixed-price deal with certain incentives, but transitions to a firm, fixed-price arrangement when the fifth lot of total production starts.

* The Air Force says this structure helped it trim the total cost of the program down from the original estimate of $19.7 billion.

* Boeing and Saab will perform the majority of the work at facilities in St. Louis, Missouri.

* The contract covers work, including the expected delivery of 351 aircraft, through 2034.

* The Air Force expects the first simulators will arrive at Joint Base San Antonio-Randolph in Texas in 2023.

* The service's target date for reach initial operational capability with the T-X is 2024.

www.thedrive.com...

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 08:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: FredT

originally posted by: Zaphod58

True, but in terms of future growth it seems the more robust program. The trainer market will max out pretty quick after the initial surge but the tanker may have a whole slew of derivatives plus give them a existing Naval platform leverage cause we all know the Navy hates change

I think the roadmap for MQ-25 could become a bigger program, but until Naval Air proves me wrong, I'd think Zaph's got it right. Not sure they don't change direction after the development aircraft are delivered.

posted on Sep, 27 2018 @ 09:06 PM
link   
a reply to: RadioRobert

oh yeah. Forgot to say it.

GO GRINO!

ahem.

posted on Sep, 28 2018 @ 10:23 AM
link   
I am thrilled. This will definitely put a pep in alot of steps in my neighborhood.

posted on Sep, 29 2018 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Korea Aerospace Industries, South Korea’s sole aircraft manufacturer, said Friday it lost a huge U.S. military training aircraft bid due to a big gap in the price it offered compared with Boeing Co.

The U.S. Air Force has selected Boeing over the KAI-Lockheed Martin Corp. consortium for its T-X trainer program, as the former submitted the lowest price — US$9.2 billion — a KAI spokesman said over the phone.

“Boeing’s bidding price was unbeatably low,” he said.

Their bid was probably almost twice as much, I bet. At least 50% more.

www.koreatimesus.com...

posted on Sep, 29 2018 @ 08:09 PM
link   

The Air Force had increased from the RFP to $19B for 351 aircraft. Boeing pulled a KC-46 and low balled the hell out of it.

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 08:38 PM
link   

THey are also saying their Black Diamond manufacturing tech plays a major role, so whomever called that here gets points.

posted on Oct, 12 2018 @ 10:58 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 12 2018 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Have they all been told politely to not protest against it?

posted on Oct, 12 2018 @ 11:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Woody510

That's the only reason I can see them not. There was some back room wheeling and dealing going on.

posted on Oct, 12 2018 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Leonardo got the UH-1N replacement with Boeing, so I can see how that works.

What is Lockheed getting?

posted on Oct, 12 2018 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Does this mean that the next big contract coming up will most likely be Lockheed or Northrup do you reckon?

posted on Oct, 12 2018 @ 11:30 AM
link   

They just got both white hypersonic programs.

posted on Oct, 12 2018 @ 11:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Woody510

Next one is fair game. They've protected the industrial base until the next big program.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join