It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yak-38 on LHD-6

page: 1

join
share:
GD

posted on Sep, 9 2018 @ 11:36 PM
link   
I seem to have stumbled upon a pic of a yak-38 sitting on the deck of the USS Bonhomme Richard. Anyone know what the circumstances around this was? I am unable to upload, but will happily send to someone who can

posted on Sep, 9 2018 @ 11:40 PM
link   
a reply to: GD

How to upload pictures.

Make sure you don't have an ad blocker(that's against T&C too) on, and the images are small enough.

GD

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Well, I got it uploaded, Thanks Zaph.
edit on 10-9-2018 by GD because: image

edit on 10-9-2018 by GD because: Edit

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 01:36 AM
link   
It's not a Yak-38. It almost looks like an I-270 but I'm not positive. I put a message out to my buddy that knows the older Russian stuff a lot better than me.

GD

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 01:49 AM
link   
Thanks, it’s a weird location for it, whatever it is. Hopefully someone knows the story behind it. reply to: Zaphod58

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 01:58 AM
link   

Aero L-29 Delfin www.airliners.net...

Cruise Missile Pretenders
June 29, 2010: An American amphibious ship, the USS Bonhomme Richard, has left California carrying two 1960s Czech jet trainers on its flight deck. These L-29s are 3.2 ton aircraft, rebuilt with American engines. The two L-29s will be used to simulate air-launched cruise missiles attacking American ships. While the original L-29s had a top speed of 655 kilometers an hour, the rebuilt ones with more powerful. J-60 engines, can moves as fast as 800 kilometers an hour..

GD

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 02:03 AM
link   
Thanks Moebius. That is interesting, seems like there could have been a domestic solution to that training scenario. I saw that and it jumped out at me, and my mind immediately jumped to the Yak, because they were VTOLs flown of small decks. a reply to: moebius

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 02:33 AM
link   

The picture was taken in June of 2010. They were on the way to Hawaii for RIMPAC around the time it was taken. It was easier to get them there that way.

GD

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 02:42 AM
link   
Makes sense. Im an old Marine, the Navy used to lug me around on a LHA. Never had anything that interesting aboard, unfortunately. Thanks for figuring this out. I wish there was more to it. a reply to: Zaphod58

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 05:11 AM
link   

Still a very cool pic, well worth sharing. Thanks for posting it.

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 06:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: GD

Which one is fueling which in this picture?

Also this is a very cool picture. Sorry for the slight derailment but I am curious.

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 07:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Allaroundyou

The LCS is taking on fuel from the LHD. Unless it's a supply ship it's almost always larger to smaller in an UNREP.

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 08:18 AM
link   
That particular aircraft was used in the 2014 movie Red Sky. It appears that it may have been filming or getting ready to film when this picture was shot.

GD

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 12:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Allaroundyou

originally posted by: GD

Which one is fueling which in this picture?

Also this is a very cool picture. Sorry for the slight derailment but I am curious.

It is a cool pic, all the way around. I always liked the look of the America Class, as well as the LCSs

GD

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Red Skya reply to: Zaphod58

Gonna have to give this a watch now! Thanks Zach.

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 01:48 PM
link   

It's like Iron Eagle, but worse.

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 02:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
That particular aircraft was used in the 2014 movie Red Sky. It appears that it may have been filming or getting ready to film when this picture was shot.

Wow thank you so much for finding that out the film looks so bad that I must watch it.

edit on 10-9-2018 by Woody510 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 02:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Woody510

Right?! As soon as I read about it I decided to make it my mission to find it.

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 04:35 PM
link   
French Top Gun anyone?

While in an international fair of exhibition of airplanes, a French Mirage 2000 of the last generation vanishes and pilots Antoine "Walk'n" Marchelli and Sebastian "Fahrenheit" Vallois are assigned to locate the plane that is flying in a hiding position below a commercial airplane. The pilots order the Mirage to return to the base, but the Mirage attacks Fahrenheit instead, and Walk'n immediately shots the Mirage saving his partner. However, the evidences are forged by the leader of a force called "Special Missions" and Walk'n is falsely accused of not following the orders and discharged from the air force. Blacklisted in the commercial flight companies, Walk'n and Fahrenheit are pressed to join the Special Missions team, where they disclose betrayals in a net of espionage.

top topics

join