It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

National Solar Observatory, USPS office in Sunspot, NM evacuated for 'safety reasons'

page: 62
<< 59  60  61    63  64  65 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 05:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: threeeyesopen
a reply to: Fiscal

I'll post the link, it's on a general discussion board, the comment was made about an hour ago by burner.

www.reddit.com...

Nuts.

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 05:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Creep Thumper

Further nuts is that the particular user’s burner account references ‘3301’ which is usually related to Cicada 3301. That’s its own rabbit hole, but the funny part is seeing those numbers in reference to someone calling out the ‘tinfoil hat types’.

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 05:26 PM
link   

You know what I find funny about this is that its not all about aliens, or solar flares or the end of the world. In many ways its about people coming together, because we want to know what's going on. If transparency in government or politics or whatever this encompasses were a real thing, conspiracy websites wouldn't be running rampant.

I'm hoping to hear anything, regardless of what happened or did not happen. This has gone on for so long now that it's become a problem for them now (AURA).

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Good catch that flew right over my head lol, I'm getting kind of tired, been hanging around almost all day and things were slowing down until this latest post from the supposed astronomer.

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 05:30 PM
link   
a reply to: threeeyesopen

There are no TFR (temporary flight restriction) issued for all of New Mexico

FAA.gov: FAA TFR New Mexico (search results)

I guess that the normal standing restrictions are in place. Looking over the map there are wide areas all around NM.

Weird that planes are staying away of their own choosing.

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Agreed. I was always in the terrestrial-origin camp. But the sheer silence about the whole thing was shocking. Agencies pointing at one another saying ‘talk to them’. If anything, this is a lesson for aspiring PR folks. A lot could have been avoided by simply saying the following: “This is currently a dynamic situation that is requiring our full attention. As soon as we can, we will make a full statement regarding the situation. In the meantime, please respect the employees and families affected by this incident and wait for forthcoming information.”

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 05:32 PM
link   
a reply to: MetalThunder

The first time I heard the name Rod I immediately thought of the twilight zone! Such a great show.

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 05:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fiscal
a reply to: Creep Thumper

Further nuts is that the particular user’s burner account references ‘3301’ which is usually related to Cicada 3301. That’s its own rabbit hole, but the funny part is seeing those numbers in reference to someone calling out the ‘tinfoil hat types’.

Interesting connection the cicada thing always fascinated me as I’ve always been fascinated by cyphers and the like sadly I can’t wrap my head around most of it but I dabble in crypto for fun and brain excercise at times. I’m going to try to check flight records when I get home, got held up a little late at work.

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 05:39 PM
link   
a reply to: BigDave-AR

The same burner account on Reddit just posted:

“Mercury spills are not sufficient reason for the FBI to be involved. I say this as someone who has personal experience of a mercury spill at the Maunakea observatory complex in Hawai'i.

Accidents involving chemicals happen more frequently than we would like to admit, but they are handled according to protocol. Not once have I seen a federal agency be involved in such an accident.”

We were kinda there already

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 05:43 PM
link   

The same burner account on Reddit just posted:

“Mercury spills are not sufficient reason for the FBI to be involved. I say this as someone who has personal experience of a mercury spill at the Maunakea observatory complex in Hawai'i.

Accidents involving chemicals happen more frequently than we would like to admit, but they are handled according to protocol. Not once have I seen a federal agency be involved in such an accident.”

We were kinda there already

I feel vindicated that they don’t think we’re dumb enough to fall for that one because I would be screaming high and hard if that were the case my very first post on this thread was mercury ain’t the issue.

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 05:44 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

I had read a couple days ago that there was an uptick in military craft appearing to go near the area and then their flight number would disappear, if it helps I could retrieve the posts about it and the flight numbers. I have the info but I dont have the software to observe and I dont know if you can go back in time stamps and see previous activity.

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Yes and that might confirm the veracity of what they said about being an astronomer...so astronomer and 3301. I always wondered what those people got up to, which professions they might have etc..obviously they're a group with varying talents.
edit on 13-9-2018 by threeeyesopen because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 05:47 PM
link   
What is mercury used for?

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Agree with you about the post. I did find value in her account of when people started leaving Sunspot and how many actual residents were left since she does seem to have spent a lot of time there, but that's pretty much it.

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 05:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Creep Thumper
What is mercury used for?

The mirror is floated on elemental mercury around 7tons of it but it’s not nearly as dangerous as it’s made out to be, methylmercury is the dangerous containment that is nurotoxic.
edit on 9/13/2018 by BigDave-AR because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 05:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

Good idea. I may try and do some digging on that when I get home from work. We’ve got a general timeframe and air traffic in that area should be light due to proximity to White Sands.

I checked the Apache Observatory notes from the observers for a few nights around this incident and there was nothing of major note in them.

Link is here:

users.apo.nmsu.edu...

Apache is literally next door to Sunspot and these are their night logs....mostly just noted it was cloudy.

No idea how much of the sky this one covered and it isnt specifically for the sun either, so not sure if it will help at all.

Seems Apache is all automated.
PDF
cds.cern.ch...

An unsupervised software “robot” that automatically and robustly reduces and analyzes CCD observations of photometric standard stars is described. The robot measures extinction coefficients and other photometric parameters in real time and, more carefully, on the next day.

The robot’s automated and uniform site monitoring represents a minimum standard for any observing site with queue scheduling, a public data archive, or likely participation in any future National Virtual Observatory

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 05:55 PM
link   

a reply to: texasgirl

I can confirm. There’s no air traffic in the area currently. Though that’s likely due to proximity to White Sands.

Good point.

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Updated: Sep 13, 2018 04:07 PM MDT

NMSU director at Sunspot Solar Observatory also in the dark over sudden closure

The director told ABC-7 he was not told why they were to evacuate, but he doesn't believe it has anything to do with the telescope, used by NMSU astronomy students to research the sun.

"There is no issue with the telescope," McAteer said. "The telescope has never been better."

More details in the article.

edit on 9/13/18 by BlueAjah because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 05:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: threeeyesopen
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

I had read a couple days ago that there was an uptick in military craft appearing to go near the area and then their flight number would disappear, if it helps I could retrieve the posts about it and the flight numbers. I have the info but I dont have the software to observe and I dont know if you can go back in time stamps and see previous activity.

I read about that, too. The ar-15 forum is very interesting.

posted on Sep, 13 2018 @ 05:58 PM
link   
You know, that statement by the former "head", I understand about not wanting to discredit their work, blah blah blah.
Ok fine.

But why the FBI?
Can nobody involved address that?
Just say "hey, the Chinese, Russia, Zimbabwe, tried to hack us.
Just address the damn Elephant please.

<< 59  60  61    63  64  65 >>

join