It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

what do you think of the factory five kit cars?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2018 @ 07:28 PM
link   
hello everyone, while surfing the net one night searching cars i came across a U.S based company called Factory Five , they are a company that sells kit cars. if you dont know what a kit car is its basically a car that you have to build yourself and the company sends you most everything you need, besides the running gear.

my favorite is the Hot Rod Truck they recently came out with, but before that it was the Type 65 Coupe . the truck reminds me of a more peaceful time, i would like to build one if i ever save up the money to buy it.

what are your thoughts? i advise you to fallow the links and take a look at what they offer.

posted on Sep, 6 2018 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Nice, but I didn't see any prices...

posted on Sep, 6 2018 @ 07:37 PM
link   
a reply to: theboarman

I’ve always wanted to get a kit car seeings how I can’t afford the real deal....yet i hope.
The 65 coupe looks nice but another company has a 65 Shelby for about the same price.
Now the really expensive stuff would be getting a transmission and engine. But still a hell of a lot cheaper though.

Are thinking of getting one?

edit on 2/19/2013 by Allaroundyou because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2018 @ 07:37 PM
link   
a reply to: LookingAtMars

oh, you should have,but the most expensive one there is 22 thousand i believe.

posted on Sep, 6 2018 @ 07:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: LookingAtMars
Nice, but I didn't see any prices...

About 22G

posted on Sep, 6 2018 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Factory five makes pretty good stuff from what I hear. They put a lot of work in chassis development and tuning. I'd like to do a cobra kit or gtm kit, but as I age I'm leaning more toward the classic cobra shape.

Budget wise they are all over. Personally. I'd buy all new parts(crate motor, transmission, etc) and do it "right".

posted on Sep, 6 2018 @ 07:42 PM
link   
damn damn damn ... I want one and I am not even a car guy. I could spend years putting this together and most of these are under $20,000. There has to be some catch in here somewhere. Is this everything including the engine?

link   

Had to loosen No Script up a bit and now I see them. I would love to build the 65 Coupe if I had the $$$. and as Allaroundyou noted the power train is not gonna be cheap. You gonna get one Boar?

link   

originally posted by: theboarman
hello everyone, while surfing the net one night searching cars i came across a U.S based company called Factory Five , they are a company that sells kit cars. if you dont know what a kit car is its basically a car that you have to build yourself and the company sends you most everything you need, besides the running gear.

my favorite is the Hot Rod Truck they recently came out with, but before that it was the Type 65 Coupe . the truck reminds me of a more peaceful time, i would like to build one if i ever save up the money to buy it.

what are your thoughts? i advise you to fallow the links and take a look at what they offer.

In the 1960's, my drummer had a kit car. It was an Aztec Avenger GT 6...basically it was a molded lamborgini type-fake looking body you put over a Volkswagon Beetle frame, interior, and engine.

Looked great parked or going down the road from far away...but up close? Still sounded and drove like a VW Bug!
edit on 6-9-2018 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2018 @ 07:43 PM
link   
a reply to: ClovenSky

On most the complet kits, you just need engine, transmission, rear end, wheels and tires and of course paint work.

So take another 20 or so on the 22k depending preferences of the above items.

posted on Sep, 6 2018 @ 07:44 PM
link   

the catch is they dont give you the running gear, tires,transmision , engine etc, but you get the rest of the car, and you could always use a cheap donor car to get it up and running.

posted on Sep, 6 2018 @ 07:46 PM
link   
a reply to: LookingAtMars

i hope to get the truck one day.

but that is far off.

posted on Sep, 6 2018 @ 07:47 PM
link   
a reply to: MisterSpock

Ah, the catch...oh well. Maybe in the next life when I have some mechanical skills. My current car laughs at me when I do simple repairs. Usually get it done in the end but probably takes me 5x the amount of time.

$12,999

Maybe I could install a bike/pedal kit instead.

posted on Sep, 6 2018 @ 07:50 PM
link   

I bought and later bailed on doing an exocet kit car a year or so back(miata based). I was down to 2 options, the exocet or a (brunton) stalker(lotus 7 replica-ish).

I kind of wish I would have done the stalker instead, probably would have finished it. I had a perfect wrecked miata for a donor. I had to many projects going on and I had to make some room in the garage.

In the future, I'd like to either do a stalker or the FFR cobra.

posted on Sep, 6 2018 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Those are cool, I had a friend that was on the waiting list for a year and just said screw it, bought a 600hp Mitsubishi Evo instead.

FFR makes cool cars, keeps improving them, offers a wide range of models and more importantly has survived for a long time.

All of which is very difficult in the kit car world.

posted on Sep, 6 2018 @ 07:57 PM
link   
a reply to: MisterSpock

My hats off to you competent mechanics out there. I don't think I would ever spend more than $10,000 on a car. Even if someone gifted me an expensive vehicle, I would probably trade it in for something cheaper and save the extra money for future tires/repairs. I would never take out a loan for a car. But this seemed fricken awesome. I could save up for a while since this is fairly cheap and it would probably be as much fun to build as to drive.

posted on Sep, 6 2018 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Their nice, their Glass, and if you want metal, look here. www.kirkhammotorsports.com...

posted on Sep, 6 2018 @ 08:00 PM
link   
It's a waste of opportunity, resources and effort. Modern science, engineering and technology (along with the ability to mass manufacture just about anything) could be utilized in so many more beneficial ways it's just disgusting to see the state of things.

I think if everything was done right everyone would be driving almost exactly the same vehicle. And it would be simple, utilitarian, affordable, reliable, efficient and all the good stuff most people really want.

Instead, we have a gazillion shapes and sizes and bells and whistles and colors. Pointless diversity just to say we did. Engineering wasted on building street cars that go 100 MPH over the speed limit in the vast majority of place where they're sold and driven to death.

I don't want to build my own car. I want a simple design that doesn't cost much and eliminates as much of the BS as it can.

posted on Sep, 6 2018 @ 08:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: BrianFlanders

I think if everything was done right everyone would be driving almost exactly the same vehicle. And it would be simple, utilitarian, affordable, reliable, efficient and all the good stuff most people really want.

Yes, a simple car, just with what the average person needs, nothing more.

Like a "peoples" car.

I like it Adolf.

posted on Sep, 6 2018 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Only so much can be said for the missionary. Walmart has a plethora of Bicycles to accommodate a utilitarian choice. Perhaps a generic vehicle would suit you. One in a medium gray. with cloth seats. You only live once.

Hunter S. Thompson

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”

a reply to: BrianFlanders

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join