It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. to Pay Farmers $4.7 Billion to Offset Trade-Conflict Losses--Update

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 01:27 PM
link   
news.morningstar.com...< br />

"Problems caused by unjustified tariffs could not have come at a worse time," said Mr. Perdue said on Monday. He added the aid will give the Trump administration time to strike trade deals that benefit the entire U.S. economy, including agriculture. Farmers, he said, "cannot pay their bills with simple patriotism."

Trade wars are not cheap!

USDA officials said they could decide on a second wave of payments to farmers by December, if difficult market conditions persist.

At some point the subsidies will outweigh the tariffs that were targeted by the admin if deals are not reached.

I just do not understand how so many champion subsidies for corporations while taking away from families that seek help through the welfare system.

I guess we in America love our soybeans that much.

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 01:31 PM
link   
I'd rather it goes to them....

( I just do not understand how so many champion subsidies for corporations while taking away from families that seek help through the welfare system. )

....well as for that... It seems the welfare system is getting Americans ripped off more than any single country taking advantage of us.
edit on 28-8-2018 by Plotus because: MAGA.....

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 01:34 PM
link   
a reply to: howtonhawky

Great, more welfare.

Like you said. It's quite unfathomable that we rage against welfare mothers. But we willingly give money to large corporations.

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 01:35 PM
link   
As someone whose income partly depends on soybean and corn farming (depending on the year) I find it crazy that Republicans would champion government welfare for farmers while taking away the money they worked for.

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Good interim use of funds...look at the Mexican trade deal, European trade deal...these things tske time to correct, Canada and China next. Too many other politicians had zero understanding of business and negotiation and sold the farm to line their own pockets.

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 01:39 PM
link   
There's a difference, Corporations WORK/LABOR, while welfare recipients DO NOT WORK/LABOR

There are valid legit recipients though. Screening might help. It is not a career choice.

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 01:39 PM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

I too farm and we are for the betterment of the nation as a whole. The correct measures to right the ship may go against a small government ideal, but once we right the ship completely, there will be an ever diminishing reliance on handouts.

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 01:41 PM
link   
a reply to: grey580

It is possible to "rage" against both.

Since when did we have to stop letting people & companies fail.
Nowhere else in the natural world does failure and weakness (or just bad luck) get compensated.

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Before everybody goes all crazy on this one, keep in mind that we have given farmers over $100 billion in corn subsidies alone since 1995.
Clinton's term for reference.

Check out sugar subsidies if you want to have a chuckle.
Bush jr term for reference.

link   
news flash the agriculture lobby is still one of the strongest in the country.

I don't mind non corporate farmers getting help they need it.

link   
Farmers are the most Patriotic of all, working for a pittance. First to have income and crop prices slashed, and last to benefit from a good economy, feeding our country and a host of others.

.a reply to: BlueJacket

BlueJacket, that is to say.... I agree with you.

edit on 28-8-2018 by Plotus because: MAGA works

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 01:43 PM
link   

I don't understand how ppl don't see that we are being taken advantage of in global trade deals. We cannot continue down the same path. Its costing jobs, tax revenue, and negatively affects our standard of living.

There is no pain free way to solve the problem, but solve it we must. It comes down to who blinks first. We may never again have the leverage we now have.

As a rule, I'm not in favor of government subsidies either, but in this case, the ends justify the means.

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 01:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueJacket

Good interim use of funds...look at the Mexican trade deal, European trade deal...these things tske time to correct, Canada and China next. Too many other politicians had zero understanding of business and negotiation and sold the farm to line their own pockets.

There was no European trade deal!

There was a working group that will investigate long-term ways to reduce tariffs on industrial goods - not cars or agricultural products - and how to bring down the extra tariffs on steel and aluminium recently applied by US authorities.

The pledge to buy more American soybeans is actually a promise not to interfere in market forces that mean the EU is buying more anyway.
edit on 28-8-2018 by blackrabbit1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 01:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mach2

I don't understand how ppl don't see that we are being taken advantage of in global trade deals. We cannot continue down the same path. Its costing jobs, tax revenue, and negatively affects our standard of living.

There is no pain free way to solve the problem, but solve it we must. It comes down to who blinks first. We may never again have the leverage we now have.

As a rule, I'm not in favor of government subsidies either, but in this case, the ends justify the means.

I don't support corporate subsidies of any kind. This is one thing I wish the Republicans would stop doing. At the same time, we have to ween industries off these subsidies that they have been receiving for decades. Just ripping the band aide off could be unsettling to markets.

Part of the problem is we have too many people claiming the ends justify the means which is how we got into this mess to begin with...

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 01:51 PM
link   
a reply to: blackrabbit1

The point is, playing hardball for the balanced good of all participants in international trade, is the right approach and it is working.

Greedy, money motivated politicians have sold this country for personal gain...the present administration is correcting the imbalance for the PEOPLE, the job we elected them to do.

The EU, came right around whether you can admit it or not.

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Excellent responses!

Extremely serious question to follow.....

Who reading this have ate soybeans lately?...intentionally

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 01:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Yasss to everything you said. I say let the markets be unsettled!
I know ripping off the bandaid hurts. Weren't we always taught the faster you rip it off, the better? Doesn't that apply here?

My personal opinion is that America really started to go downhill when people couldn't tolerate "pain" anymore. Isn't pain part of growth, change, and eventually better things?

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 01:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: howtonhawky
Excellent responses!

Extremely serious question to follow.....

Who reading this have ate soybeans lately?...intentionally

you have this morning without realizing it.

soy beans are a versatile ingredient for farmers, used to feed stocks in large quantities to oils and milk extracts to keeping food fresh and other non food related applications....
you Google it.
edit on 28-8-2018 by odzeandennz because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 01:59 PM
link   

me no, don't care for it in any way you can have it, but... apparently its the second largest crop in the US and apparently one of the most in demand crops in the world.

worldagnetwork.com

In 2015, China imported about 80 million metric tons – more than the rest of the world combined. U.S. exports to China during that time, which were more than half the nation’s total soybean exports and a quarter of production, accounted for about 30 million.
The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) estimates Chinese imports will reach 112 million metric tons by 2023, a 40 percent increase in only eight years. In addition to nearly all of China’s own production and Brazil’s exports, the United States is expected to see China’s share of American exports rise, as well, to meet the Asian giant’s seemingly insatiable demand.

So there is a huge cash value to the crop, surprised me to read that to.

posted on Aug, 28 2018 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Employees at Jack in the Box quickly discover what the mystery meat in their Taco's is........ "A Soy Product' by reading the package contents.

Food of the gods.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join