It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

San Antonio passes paid sick leave ordinance

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 05:47 AM
link   
I am surprised not to see this on here. Apparently Austin already passed this, now San Antonio. As a contract worker I can tell you that it is ridiculous to work for a fortune 100 company and if I get sick I don't get paid a dime, though I am one of the top workers in my department. I think there should be some kind of national law passed that all major employers have to have some sort of sick leave for their workers. Missing just a few days can cause people to not be able to pay their bills, and I believe that leave is a human rights issue, that our increasingly capitalist country must be forced to respect.

www.texastribune.org...

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 05:57 AM
link   
a reply to: CB328

While I don't disagree with you, I think it's nuts that anyone wouldn't have a few days pay stashed away just in case. That's probably a good indication of a bigger problem than lack of paid sick days. (Failing currency comes to mind)

Last year I took three sick days- more than I've taken in the last six years combined... Yet I see people regularly taking two or three a month.

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 05:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: CB328
I am surprised not to see this on here. Apparently Austin already passed this, now San Antonio. As a contract worker I can tell you that it is ridiculous to work for a fortune 100 company and if I get sick I don't get paid a dime, though I am one of the top workers in my department. I think there should be some kind of national law passed that all major employers have to have some sort of sick leave for their workers. Missing just a few days can cause people to not be able to pay their bills, and I believe that leave is a human rights issue, that our increasingly capitalist country must be forced to respect.

www.texastribune.org...

While i understand and agree you should have sick time, another law is not the answer. More government is never the answer, ever.

Right now, it is a workers market. Find a company that offers it and make the move. In this market, when people leave a company and they can not find qualified workers, or people who are so hungry they will do anything, they will get better benefits for employees.

And btw, my old electricians union, ibew lu @$, STILL does not have paid sick time. But, then, trade unions are not for the men anymore, they are for the contractors.

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 06:05 AM
link   

sick days would be nice.
i missed work yesterday. going to be hurting next week because of it

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 06:10 AM
link   

Funny growing up my parents told me to save and to make sure to be covered if something arises,now parents let kids buy expensive phones etc,don't pay rent,you liberals never grow up,always wanting someone to care for you,when I was young couldn't wait to go out on my own

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 06:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Oldtimer2

Funny growing up my parents told me to save and to make sure to be covered if something arises,now parents let kids buy expensive phones etc,don't pay rent,you liberals never grow up,always wanting someone to care for you,when I was young couldn't wait to go out on my own

I work in radio and the theatre, i do not make a lot of money, but i love what i do.

Even so, 10% of each check is in a savings acct for emergencies...i do not own credit cards, but 20 years of doing this since college, sure adds up!

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 06:43 AM
link   
I guess I'm a little confused. Why would anyone pay you to get sick?

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 06:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: BrianFlanders
I guess I'm a little confused. Why would anyone pay you to get sick?

i guess the same reason they pay you to take a vacation.
its called a benefit

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 06:56 AM
link   
It's called civilization.

And I do have a small cushion, I don't spend 100% of my money, but close to it with medical and child support.

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 07:09 AM
link   
I am torn on sick leave. I would love to have it, but.

I have about 65 employees right now, I run a construction company. I have no doubt most of the guys would take a day to go fishing and we would have an epidemic the opening day of deer season. The next thing is who would pay for it? Say the employees is accruing 1/2 a day a month. That six a a year times 65 = 370 sick days. At $250 bucks a pop on average, that’s $92,500.00 dollars. Quite a hit to the bottom line. My benefit package is currently about $6.75 per hour. For educational expense, insurance, vacation, 401K, holiday pay, clothing allotment, ect.

If you were one of my Customers would you mind another modest increase on your invoice to pay for my employees sick days?
edit on 18-8-2018 by Nickn3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 07:45 AM
link   

It seriously seems unbelievable to me that in any wealthy first world country, Theirs still full time employee's who aren't entitled to a certain amount of payed sick days a year.

In Australia we get 10 a year. If you don't use them, then they accumulate... So if your smart you can just save them up over the years, so you've got a few months of payed sick leave, if something unforeseeable happens where your unable to work.

Its a human rights issue, as far as I'm concerned...

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 07:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

Theirs still full time employee's who aren't entitled

And right there is the crux. People think they're entitled to everything.

The only thing you're entitled to is death.

Everything else you need to earn.

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 07:55 AM
link   

We used to have paid sick days but people abused the system so much they took them away. Instead, they gave us a few extra vacation days.

I have only missed 2 days work in 22 years. I was pretty pissed when they took them because once again in life the more responsible you are the more you get punished.

I will say that one time in the 22 years I was deadly sick for five days but I was on vacation..........story of my life.

I guess I am ok with paid sick days but if they are never used during that year they should roll over into vacation days the following year and thereafter. Otherwise no sick days.

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 07:56 AM
link   

that’s $92,500.00 dollars

Yes but you're already paying it. In reality that cost would be how much work didn't get done from someone being sick for a day. Assuming the other workers pick up some of the slack, like in my job, then you're not paying nearly that much.

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 07:59 AM
link   
It isnt a human rights issue. Natural law indicates the opposite.

Your tribe takes care of you when ill. And if not you die. Its natural law.

Id be interested in hearing the logical argument being made supporting the human right angle

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 08:02 AM
link   
I think everyone should get some. That being said more laws is not the answer.

I used to have 3 days when I worked in the USA.

In China we get 60% pay for all sick days provided we turn in a hospital or doctor's note.

For longer terms we get 40% of pay and can be out for up to 1 year.

And it does affect the bottom line. Where I work now we budget for that and thankfully have never exceeded it.

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Contract workers don’t get sick time because they’re not employees. I’m not sure why anyone would expect a contract or part-time person to get those kinds of benefits. If you want more benefits you need to work a full-time job.

This is typical liberal nonsense thinking that if they get the handout from mean big business it won’t affect anything. But as someone posted above, if all contract workers were paid such benefits do you know what would happen? You might end up with no job at all because the employer could no longer afford it. How is that in any way a good thing?

If you’re in a situation where missing one day of pay is going to impact you that much, something is wrong with the choices you’ve made to get there. If you need the benefits of a full-time job then get a full-time job! It may not be exactly what you want, but it might lead to something that is.

Also, this is in violation of Texas state law and will be struck down in the court system (a municipal ordinance doesn’t override state law - thank goodness).
edit on 8182018 by oriondc because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 08:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tarzan the apeman.

We used to have paid sick days but people abused the system so much they took them away.

Lots of people used to take advantage of their sick days at my work... Like certain blokes who used to consistently call in sick every few Fridays, as soon as they'd built up a days worth of sick leave.

But then they brought in a new policy that you only get 2 free sick days a year, after that you need to provide a doctors certificate... which pretty much shut down (most) people abusing the system.

I suppose most blokes think if they have to go to all the effort of going to the doctor, well then they might as well just get off their arse and go to work instead.

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Here in UK always had paid sick leave for full time employees and if part time you can claim sickness benefit or long term invalidity benefit. Seems to have worked for the last umpteen years fine

As for savings, most people nowadays live up to their means if not beyond it. Savings are taxed. If you have savings and lose your job you can't claim unemployment benefit so I think very few people save....or are in a position to save.

We live in a "want it/get it now" society. Children aren't taught to save anymore and credit is thrown at people constantly.

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 08:37 AM
link   

LOL, as a contract worker, you fail in epic proportions to understand the big picture of being a "contract worker".

If you are smart enough to be one, you are essentially running a small business, where you are paid a wage hopefully better than those who work for that company, and you are responsible for all your own extras, like sick time, vacation time, healthcare, insurance, and any other expense usually covered by being a regular employee of the company.

If you don't want to deal with doing all that on your own, get a real job.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join