It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Genoa motorway bridge collapse kills at least 35 people

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2018 @ 11:32 AM
link   
The bridge collapsed a couple of hours ago so the rescue effort is still ongoing , so far police have confirmed 35 fatalities but rescuers are fighting to free others trapped in the wreckage.

Vehicles and debris fell 90m (295ft) on to rail tracks, buildings and a river. Rescuers are trying to free people caught in crushed vehicles or rubble. Some 200 firefighters are working at the scene, Interior Minister Matteo Salvini said. Transport Minister Danilo Toninelli spoke of an "immense tragedy" and France offered Italy its support.
www.bbc.co.uk...

Reports are there was a heavy rainstorm at the time of the collapse but even so questions must be asked about the structural safety of bridges in Italy.
What a shocking tragedy.
edit on 14-8-2018 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2018 @ 11:45 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Damm Just some rain caused that? Now Im gonna be scared going over any bridge in the rain.

Its not like its a 3rd world country ..

posted on Aug, 14 2018 @ 12:23 PM
link   

I saw this earlier when it was 20 killed so I imagine the total # killed will rise again, and it's insane.

And then there's this...

Two years before the deadly collapse, an engineer said the bridge was bound for disaster. Antonio Brencich, who is also a professor at the University of Genoa, said in July 2016 that there were problems with the structure, Ingegneri.info reported.

source

posted on Aug, 14 2018 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: notsure1
But don´t foget, it´s Mafialand(think of the construction business, the Mafia causes problems like with the waste and garbage disposal), and very corrupt. It´s not yet a third world country, but from the western european countries it´s one of those that comes close to a third world country, in several parts.

And i don´t think that it will get better in future, with the rightwinger government that has no other problems than the "damned migrants, refugees, "Ausländers" etc). These people don´t "waste time" to solve problems like that infrastructure problem, or any other problems.

edit on 14 8 2018 by DerBeobachter because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2018 @ 12:31 PM
link   

It was built in the mid-60s when everything was run through the Mafia. That was one of my first thoughts. Corners could have been cut and standards fudged by extortion or bribery.

posted on Aug, 14 2018 @ 12:35 PM
link   
A motorway bridge collapses because of...heavy rain??

Did I just read that?

Somebody wake me from this wacky dream called modern life.

posted on Aug, 14 2018 @ 12:38 PM
link   
dude they gotta ban bridges, to protect the people now.
those bridges are so dangerous.

BUT ever since the big bridge collapse here in the usa, i have noticed that in nj and ny they are going thru the bridges one by one and repairing them. so i wonder if that means there is some kind of mistake made in all bridges, and they are trying to fix them before another collapse.

but the national bridge association, the NBA has so many lobbyists in washington, the chances of bridges being banned are slim, even tho they keep killing people.

hopefully the TsSsA can take over bridge inspections, they can search all our trucks and cars before we cross, so as to ensure the safety of the populace.
edit on 14-8-2018 by dantanna because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2018 @ 06:03 PM
link   
a reply to: CJCrawley

it was seen wobbling and was hit by lightening just before it colapsed but they said that isn't the reason..Also said it is an old bridge and not an easy one to inspect

www.dailymail.co.uk...

they are saying a flaw in the foundation or metal parts rusting..something the inspectors could not see

It is horrible.....we will see what the outcome cause of this tragedy is

posted on Aug, 14 2018 @ 06:27 PM
link   
The latest Google Earth imagery from above is 3/2017 but there is some street level imagery from 10/2017 showing construction equipment and scaffolding under the bridge.

edit on 14-8-2018 by Cauliflower because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 11:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Cauliflower

first pic shows how bad shape the bridge was in weeks ago www.google.com...

there are 10s of 1000's of bridges in Italy built in the fifties and 60's that have outlived their working lifespan of 50 years

latest death toll is 38

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 01:47 AM
link   
Here's how the anti-industry EU oligarchy has orchestrated the destruction of that bridge in Genoa.
Some thing they have done to a smaller bridge in Russia :

www.youtube.com...

You can see the explosion below the bridge at minute 0:03

The western secret services have orchestrated a perfect controlled demolition.
edit on 9-10-2018 by Flanker86 because: c

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 02:39 AM
link   
Just before the collapse and the apparent explosion, a heavy truck was crossing. The collapse came next and then the spark, which was most likely the severing of electrical wires on or under the bridge caused by the collapse.

top topics

join