It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

God is the silent type

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 05:44 AM
link   
a reply to: halfoldman

God is a concept by which we measure our pain.

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 06:19 AM
link   
a reply to: surfer_soul

Could you "unpack" that a little? I don't understand what you mean.

To me, God is an abstract force, the creative force of the universe, creator of all things.

I measure my pain by past experiences and by the stories of others' pain.

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 08:26 AM
link   
a reply to: DictionaryOfExcuses

It’s actually a lyric in one of John Lennon songs, so my interpretation is just that, but what I think he meant is that we have an idea of god or a concept and nothing more. We don’t know the whys or wherefore’s. By measuring our pain we look to god or pray to god to relieve it. Or we put it down to God’s will. Those that believe in god tend to do so anyway.

As the OP says god is the silent type, it’s our choice how we deal with what life throws us. We won’t find answers by asking god, but we may find clues by examining our own nature and the nature of life itself.

The rest of Lennon's lyrics go

I don't believe in Buddha
Don’t believe in karma
Don’t believe Krishna
I just believe in me, and that’s reality.

If your going to believe or have faith in something start with yourself first.

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 08:36 AM
link   
There's a reason why he's been silent all this time.

You want to know the scariest thing about the Judeo-Christian religion is?

It turns out the 1st century Jews triggered a 2000 year top level Leviticus 26 curse. Technically the Ancient of Days is murderously insane at the present.

What can you do?

6 According to their pasture, so were they filled; they were filled, and their heart was exalted; therefore have they forgotten me.

7 Therefore I will be unto them as a lion: as a leopard by the way will I observe them:

8 I will meet them as a bear that is bereaved of her whelps, and will rend the caul of their heart, and there will I devour them like a lion: the wild beast shall tear them.
edit on 8-8-2018 by ntech because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 09:22 AM
link   
You know, God gave you a big, thick book, with everything you need to know. So, just why would God want to talk to you, when you ignore everything He has already said? And has it ever dawned on you God is silent, because you don't know Him? I hear from Him constantly, He even my eyes and ears. A silent God is, well, a personal problem, bottom line. In fact, to say God is silent is a declaration that you're deaf. That's all.

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 09:52 AM
link   
ok, see your point, so that points once again it's up to us what we do.a reply to: halfoldman

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 10:13 AM
link   

I catch your drift now. I didn't know that was a John Lennon lyric.

I don't know. I guess I could talk and talk about what I think God is and it probably wouldn't amount to much.

My life experiences have suggested to me that God is not silent in the broader meaning of the word. Sure, God doesn't come out and say "Buy the red car", or "Take Pacific Avenue to work today instead of Main Street: there's a wreck". But certain faculties - intuition, say - I currently conceive as being part of the "voice of God". My faith in God came crashing into my life when I was a confirmed atheist - a somewhat rude awakening if I might say so.

But I am a near total layman when it comes to discussing these things and I try to listen more than I talk about it.

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 11:59 AM
link   
a reply to: DictionaryOfExcuses

Interesting, would you care to elaborate on the experience you had when god came crashing into you life?

Listening is good but truth must be discerned through your own insight. Especially in this day an age of misinformation/disinformation and outright propaganda. On the other hand we have more readily available access to good information than any other time. Knowledge doesn’t necessarily bring wisdom though.

Intuition is good, but is it the voice of god? I highly doubt it, I would suggest it’s your higher/better nature, when you align your day to day conscious with your higher self then you become wise. Nearly all of us are caught up in our egos and most aren’t even aware of this, our egos are the identities we believe we are, the sense of self we’ve cultivated through experience and what others have imposed or projected on to us. Egos are as temporal as anything else in the material universe, but the good news is we are not are egos. Our ego is like an avatar we play roles through in the game of life, and we can change it anytime we want. It does take courage though.

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Scrutinizing

I'm of the opinion that a relationship with God/s is a personal one, no communication needed. Unless of course the communication is with the deity itself and if that's the case words fail you.

I don't feel God would be interested in your words since they tend to be all seeing and all knowing.

Maybe God's just toy with us like we do rats in a lab... I dunno and won't claim that I do.

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 01:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: RAY1990

I'm of the opinion that a relationship with God/s is a personal one, no communication needed. Unless of course the communication is with the deity itself and if that's the case words fail you.

I don't feel God would be interested in your words since they tend to be all seeing and all knowing.

Maybe God's just toy with us like we do rats in a lab... I dunno and won't claim that I do.

Well, I don't get that, since God demonstrably likes words, gave you a whole Bible full of His word you are commanded to learn, He even referred to as the Word of God, so that you may have the mind of Christ and be conformed to His image. Your "I dunno", I'm just a humble little man routine and not claiming to know anything may try to make ignorance sound like a virtue, but a virtue it's not.

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 01:24 PM
link   
a reply to: NthOther

It's called interpretation.

On a windy day a tree might wave at me whilst swaying in the wind yet it's hardly saying hello is it?

I fail to see my inconsistency... I'm genuinely humoured by the prospect that most God's of antiquity build us in their image, usually out of earthly things.

So I guess I'm saying right back at you with the inconsistency?

Because I didn't build our perception of the divine nor am I here to claim the unprovable.

Meh, God is all things. The ancients were just a lot better at micromanagement I'm guessing, hence the individualism and distinct nature attributed to Gods. And micromanagement works, I've seen a few good Christians lose their faith and religion due to the circumstances they've found themselves in. How can a loving God have a woman devoted to him birth a disabled child that would become suicidal and end up in hell because life was unbearable? How could that mother justify her faith?

Maybe God is silent, maybe he's ashamed?

Anyways applying human conceptions to god is interpretation, probably a futile attempt at such but an attempt non the less.

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Claims by men.

Alleged stories.

Books translated and meaning lost.

I see no evidence of the works you attributed to God and if we had a time machine so people can represent themselves they'd be laughed out of a court room.

It's not my god anyways, my God isn't defined by some scribbles made by men and stories of old.

So the ignorance is on you, my faith and beliefs isn't for you to ascribe.

Anyways notice the key words in my post such as "opinion" and "I don't feel" ?

I won't speak of facts, especially when it comes to a Christian god, non of it's provable. Faith is a necessity.

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Beautifully put, I'll have to give that a listen.

Yeah, seems for many faith is based around our conception of God's will.

I like the silence, it's golden.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join