It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Instantaneous Battery Charging

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 09:56 PM
link   
I have to be honest about the science, it's largely over my head. I can, however, understand the implications if this works.

The Quantum Battery

And it's about to be built.

Dr James Quach from the University of Adelaide has planned to use his experience with quantum mechanics to build the world's first quantum battery— a super battery with the potential for instantaneous charging.

Instantaneous charging, can you imagine the potential and radical transformation that this technology could bring about.

Initially the idea is to produce small batteries for phones and small tech stuff and hopefully develop the technology into the renewable energy sector, for example, but there are heaps more if this works.

Dr Quach said the battery could also be used in small electronic devices such as a watch, iPad or computer or any other product that relies on stored energy.

"So for example your mobile phone at the moment will take, I don't know, thirty minutes or an hour to charge with the quantum battery and if we are successful it would have instantaneous charging so it would revolutionize the energy storage industry," he said.

What's also remarkable and pretty exciting about this, is the anticipated time frame;

"In terms of time frames, I'm hoping to demonstrate this over the next six months and then after that try and take it further by scaling it up and making it more robust.

And if that wasn't remarkable enough;

"For me, and I think most physicists would agree, that a quantum battery is one of the lower hanging fruits which I think we can develop quite quickly and get to a stage that it can be used in one form or another.

One of the lower hanging fruits , almost sounds too good to be true.

Quantum Entanglement Source

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 10:02 PM
link   
a reply to: myselfaswell

It would be a game changer, but lots of coulds and ifs in in the statements. Is this a grant fishing expedition? We would have to have much larger power plants, as we have seen with just AC in the summer heat there are issues with the power grid.

The concept of the battery will be developed at Adelaide University and could allow electronic devices to be fully charged instantly. Dr James Quach said that once developed, the battery could be charged in less than a second. "So for example your mobile phone at the moment will take, I don't know, thirty minutes or an hour to charge with the quantum battery and if we are successful it would have instantons charging so it would revolutionize the energy storage industry," he said.Text
www.abc.net.au...

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Awesome! Another technology that will immensely change the world for the better! So efficient that we'll almost never need to buy new batteries!

Death of Dr James Quach by suicide, two shots to the back of the head, on my mark. 3-2-1-mark.

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 10:06 PM
link   
a reply to: scojak

Your mind has imagined "too much". It would be a "single-car" car accident.

Death of Dr James Quach by suicide, two shots to the back of the head, on my mark. 3-2-1-mark.

edit on 25-7-2018 by atsgrounded because: spelling

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 10:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: scojak
Awesome! Another technology that will immensely change the world for the better! So efficient that we'll almost never need to buy new batteries!

I was just thinking it'll be another one of these new energy whatchamacallits that is going to do x, and then in a few weeks you see another one something along the same lines gonna improve snip, solar panel techs or whatnots, by another 20% efficiency whatever, then next week you see another one, in new Scientist or whatever, and another, and you watch this pattern over a period of years where there's these constant breakthru's happening, but you see it once and then that's it, well until the new one next week to get all stoked about.

I gave up watching that pattern back around 2011-2012, after watching it for a good 3-4 years. As far as I can tell none of any of that is to market yet, same old same old solar panel tech (and so on) is what they're building all these solar farms around here with, as far as I'm aware.

edit on 25-7-2018 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 10:13 PM
link   
a reply to: atsgrounded

Ah yes, the old veer-into-a-tree-off-a-straight-road-going-100-mph "accident", a la Michael Hastings.

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Now this is very good indeed, instantly recharge electric cars, planes and ship's.
Of course it is also bad.
If something can be charged instantly it can also be discharged instantly bringing ready made EMP bomb's into the hand's of the idiot terrorists as well as rapid discharge energy weapon's reducing the size of there power source due to the ability to rapidly discharge into whatever form of energy they need.
Over all a necessary step in the right direction but all sciences are open to abuse, think like a fox to catch a fox.

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 10:26 PM
link   
From the OP's source:

The concept of the battery will be developed at Adelaide University

So they have not started the R&D. Let alone the design phase.
At best this is an article 5 years premature. At worst, this is the same free energy promise we have seen to many times that will part well meaning individuals with their savings, in promise of magical technologies.

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 10:38 PM
link   
I want to see a prototype. What I'm getting from the limited info available is that he's intending to leverage quantum entanglement to charge all of the cells in the battery in a non-linear fashion. I can suspend my disbelief on that, but what I can't rectify is the idea that they'll pump sufficient energy (joules = watts X time) into a quantum system without disrupting the entanglement. Sure, easily done with superconductors, but we're talking far beyond room temperature superconductors here, this tech just doesn't exist yet. If any industry could generate the capital for a breakthrough in this arena, though, I'd say portable computing is a strong candidate. So do these batteries rely on cryo for now, until tech catches up? Sure it might charge in an instant, but how often to you have to fill the liquid nitrogen bottle?

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 10:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: [post=23618055]myselfaswell[/post
]
demonstrate this over the next six months

Haven't read the link yet but I hope he is successful. Bookmarked for later.

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 11:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: LABTECH767

Now this is very good indeed, instantly recharge electric cars, planes and ship's.
Of course it is also bad.
If something can be charged instantly it can also be discharged instantly bringing ready made EMP bomb's into the hand's of the idiot terrorists as well as rapid discharge energy weapon's reducing the size of there power source due to the ability to rapidly discharge into whatever form of energy they need.
Over all a necessary step in the right direction but all sciences are open to abuse, think like a fox to catch a fox.

A quantum bomb! Yikes!

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 11:20 PM
link   
I'd honestly rather have rechargeable batteries that never wear out. The current state of the art batteries are already a gazillion times easier to deal with than the rechargeable batteries I grew up with. Like I'm just always amazed how fast a cell phone charges and that it doesn't work for 3 minutes and die again (requiring another 15 hour charge for another 3 minutes).

I remember we had a Dustbuster ages ago that you could use for like 10 seconds before it died. And it was like that after having it for like a month. Now we have the little Dyson handheld that charges in a couple of hours and you can use it every day for weeks before you have to charge.

I have an MP3 player that I bought in 2008 and still charges fine and still works. That would have been insane in the 90s. I thought my cassette Walkman was hot stuff back then.
edit on 25-7-2018 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2018 @ 11:29 PM
link   
a reply to: nightbringr

Not a quantum bomb but a means' to provide a rapid discharge of energy (with the use of a suitable super conducting medium) through an inductive coil array allowing the production of a very powerful and rapid magnetic pulse which would shut down, fry or disrupt electronic systems especially those based around semi conductor component's such as IC's (micro chips) so a very dangerous weapon in today's world to have.
A Quantum bomb on the other hand would actually be what the nuclear bomb was to gun powder and like the nuclear bomb was many magnitudes greater the quantum bomb would be many magnitudes greater again in it's destructive potential, basically it is about focusing not one nuclear blast but that nuclear blast and it's many parallel reality's into a single reality through some kind of quantum lensing mechanism which would focus the multiplied potential of the parallel reality blasts into a single reality, purely hypothetical of course but extremely scary, one quantum bomb may in theory be enough to mimic a super nova which would not leave much of our planet if some idiot ever decides to build and test one.

posted on Jul, 26 2018 @ 12:22 AM
link   
A bright future where we fight over natural resources...in iron man suits! WOOT!!!! And when we get bored we can create skynet.

posted on Jul, 26 2018 @ 12:39 AM
link   

These will never replace batteries because of the physics involved. first, quantum batteries would discharge extremely quickly on the order of nanoseconds.also energy stored in a quantum battery is linked to the difference in a qubit’s energy level and amounts to about 0.001 eV, whereas a typical laptop battery stores 1024 eV. They will never replace normal batteries for energy storage. However current battery technology within a couple of years will be down to a minute to recharge anyway. New cell phones take about 30 min right now remember just a couple of years ago took 5 or 6 hours.
edit on 7/26/18 by dragonridr because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2018 @ 01:07 AM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr

Damn it.

Second.

posted on Jul, 26 2018 @ 01:31 AM
link   

That is assuming they will store the electron potential in unstable orbital's, quantum tec may actually NOT work like that, in fact it may be possible that using some loophole's in quantum mechanic's that if they can actually turn those into practical engineering science that they may actually be able to store far more electron's in those high unstable orbital's than is potentially possible using linear Newtonian science, the key here is quantum multiplicity and quantum potential energy's.
But until they do something like that it will remain hypothetical and is certainly above the understanding of a BEng or similar level technician, the hard part is turning theoretical science into practical science and to do that they will probably have to create a whole new raft of equation's just to try to encapsulate how it shall work.

You are absolutely correct though it won't be replacing battery's any time soon but no one said anything about electron accumulators/capacitor's and how it may supercharge electronics.

posted on Jul, 26 2018 @ 02:26 AM
link   
Something is fishy about this news article.

The actual quantum batteries I am aware of will never be useful for mobile devices. They can only hold extremely small amounts of energy and discharge within nanoseconds, as entanglement is a rather sensitive thing and difficult to maintain.

physicsworld.com...

posted on Jul, 26 2018 @ 05:31 AM
link   

And lets not forget that the fast charging of the quantum batteries only works if you have thousands of them

Dr Quach said eventually the hope would be to produce large quantum batteries which could provide opportunities for the renewable energy sector.

He said that unlike ordinary batteries — which take the same amount of time to charge no matter how many you have — the theory is that quantum batteries would charge faster, the more you have of them.

"If one quantum battery takes one hour to charge, then two would take 30 minutes, three would take 20 minutes, and so on, he said.

"If you had 10,000 batteries, they would all charge in less than a second."

posted on Jul, 26 2018 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Next step in the evolution of portable power, self powering instant charging units.

The battery will simply be something there to placate and cost you.

Tesla would be smirking in his grave!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join