It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Spirited, Substantive Debate on the Trump-Putin Summit, Russia, and U.S. Politics

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 10:53 AM
link   
I found a great video that has two people, Glenn Greenwald (journalist who uncovered Edward Snowden's story with the help of Jeremy Scahill, both journalists went to form The Intercept.) and Joe Cirincione (the longtime president of Ploughshares Fund, which has long been devoted to the reduction and ultimate elimination of nuclear weapons).

The debate is like ones we all need to have, civil, full of substance, and more importantly, with open ears and respect.

The video is about 25 minutes and there is also a part 2 should anyone choose to delve (I'll include that as well).

I'll try my best to give a brief summary (though it won't do justice) for those who cannot or don't want to watch the video.

Joe takes the position that the meeting was dangerous and gives validity to Putin for his actions. Glenn takes the stance that this has been going on for some time and that this is no anomaly.

They also get into the dynamics of the Democratic party, and it's recent downfalls in elections across the country. Joe points out that the reason of this is the Democrats have moved towards globalist policies that are affecting blue collar workers across the globe, giving rise to far right figures getting a platform. Glenn agrees, and reiterates that the Russian involvement in the 2016 election is an effort to dodge that debate which is a challenging one to have.

There is much more in the video, but I don't want to discourage conversation by posting walls of words.

Here is the part 2, Which I have not watched yet but plan to.

Edit: transcripts for those who would rather read.

Transcript one

Transcript two
edit on 20-7-2018 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Joe takes the position that the meeting was dangerous and gives validity to Putin for his actions.

Yes people TALKING to foreign leaders is dangerous.

Trump should run around like chicken little accusing Putin of stealing his tonka toy.

The new 'art' of diplomacy.

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Oooh. Good find...thanks. will flag for later. I hope they get into the future of economies as one of my big things is that AI is irreversably taking good jobs.0

a reply to: CriticalStinker

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 11:17 AM
link   
First and foremost I thing folk need to realize that we have MUCH bigger issues to tackle with Russia and we have our own history of meddling, so to expect Trump to act like we’re holier-than-thou and call out Putin is not only hypocritical but counterproductive to very real and pressing issues that supersedes the fact that, yes, superpowers practice espionage. We need to find ways to turn down the heat which is at the core of these problems.

Looking forward to this as I’ve come to have a lot of respect for Greenwald. He actually practices ethical journalism and brings some common sense to any discussion.

edit on 20-7-2018 by The GUT because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 11:18 AM
link   
a reply to: lakenheath24

I finished the first, but have not finished the second yet.

As for your fear that AI will take good jobs, keep in mind that many of these jobs are dangerous. Those AI will also need a host of engineers, production workers (the chicken comes before the egg at some point), and also on site IT personnel to keep up with the robots.

Just as the industrial revolution put fear into the workers, so will this technology revolution. It's not so much of a decimation of jobs, but more of rearranging them. Within the course of a few generations we will see more people going into the technology sector rather than industrial. One West Virginia coal miner went into coding and found that it was a smooth transition as both jobs required lots of focus on repetitive tasks, he has helped move others into that space.

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 11:21 AM
link   
a reply to: The GUT

You sir are in for a treat then, they definitely cover what you just talked about.

Glenn also one of my favorites. The recent shift in media has kind of forced him to play devils advocate for other points not being addressed, which gets him labeled as right wing since he's not following the script. But towards the end of the first video he does bring up some valid criticism against Trump. Ironically, with those accusations just listed, he decided to post his political stances on a wide range of issues... Definitely not a member of the right, but a very complex independent.

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 11:21 AM
link   

First comes CONFESSION. Then HEALING.

Who's first?

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 11:27 AM
link   
I wont derail until I read.....but I think world leaders al fear sustaining their economies and keeping people in meaningful employment. The industrial revolution had its ugly underside for many years with 1% controlling the rest. This next transition shall be interesting.

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 11:29 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

Well one of the key points Glenn made in part 1 is this:

The left and right need to quit viewing the world through the 2016 election. In addition, to act like the phishing attack Russia conducted on the DNC during 2016 (doh!) is equivalent to 9/11 or Pearl Harbor is LUNACY. The US does it every single day (and worse) via the NSA so politically-charged people need to get off their dramatic high-horse and GROW THE EFF UP!

Otherwise, the extreme rhetoric will continue and we'll continue to separate as a nation.

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 11:33 AM
link   
a reply to: six67seven

Otherwise, the extreme rhetoric will continue and we'll continue to separate as a nation.

Which ironically the new FBI director said is Russia's mission by playing both sides of every argument. Unfortunately it's working, the substance of debate in this country has taken a hard hit. People forget that Trump supporters and Trump haters are ultimately members of our community who love their country and family, but hold different views.

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 11:37 AM
link   
a reply to: six67seven

In addition, to act like the phishing attack Russia conducted on the DNC during 2016 (doh!) is equivalent to 9/11 or Pearl Harbor is LUNACY.

It is especially when the judge in the DNC primary lawsuit ruled they were a private coporation with the right to rig their own elections.

Loco Karazee that lot is.

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Talking with your adversaries in global politics is far more favorable than yelling at them and fighting them when there are other pressing issues that both sides see common ground on.

If the goal is to reduce nuclear weapons, you only do that with talking to each other.

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 11:43 AM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Exactly.

They're living in glass houses.

Democracy...???... anyone home!!??... are you there????

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 11:48 AM
link   

What?!?!

The democrats moved towards globalization has effected blue collar workers?!?!

Free trade has killed blue collar jobs..

If there are no tarriffs and X country has a pay rate of 2 dollars a day. Then obviously they can sell those products cheaper than an American company can make them..

That’s not rocket science..

Then you have the fact minimum wage has in no way kept up with cost of living and inflation hikes..

And EVERYONE’s salary is based off of minimum wage, because minimum wage is the smallest unit of labor..

A fast food worker is one unit of labor...

The manager is 2.5 units of labor..

A Dr. is 50 units of labor..

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 11:53 AM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

What?!?! The democrats moved towards globalization has effected blue collar workers?!?! Free trade has killed blue collar jobs..

Exactly, who has implemented many of the free trade agreements?

I'm not putting all the blame on the left, but understand that they have been leaning that direction for a while. The DNC is in bed with wall street and silicone valley now, how is that the party for the workers?

His whole point is they are loosing touch with one of the biggest demographics that made up their party. That was evident in the 2016 election along with many other elections across the globe. Large numbers of workers are flopping to far right politicians who promise to bring back a more nationalist platform and pull away from the globalist agreements.

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 11:55 AM
link   

That’s not rocket science.. Then you have the fact minimum wage has in no way kept up with cost of living and inflation hikes.. And EVERYONE’s salary is based off of minimum wage, because minimum wage is the smallest unit of labor..

It's not supposed to pay for the cost of living. Minimum wage is for people new to the workforce like highschoolers.

If you want to raise minimum wage then companies will just raise prices, so the dollar will inflate more. (That said it will be due for adjustment soon, but don't expect much.)
edit on 20-7-2018 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Yep.

Goods produced over seas are cheaper to make, and ship back here.

Own it.

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Clintons party made NAFTA, The Green 'accords'.

And almost gave us the TPP.

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 12:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

What?!?! The democrats moved towards globalization has effected blue collar workers?!?! Free trade has killed blue collar jobs..

Free trade is the core essence of capitalism.
Capitalism knows no borders nor nationalities.
You move your business where it's most profitable.
It will only get worse from here. Nothing Trump nor anyone else can do about it.

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 12:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

Yep.

Goods produced over seas are cheaper to make, and ship back here.

Own it.

So democrats created cheap labor force overseas?
I've read a lot of # from you but this has to be the most ridiculous ever
edit on 20-7-2018 by ErrorErrorError because: (no reason given)

<<   2  3 >>

join