It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

what is 'white privilege'? Nobdy seems to want to explain

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 03:34 PM
link   
I get the feeling a lot of the "White privilege does not exist" is coming from White people, I mean who knows more about being a minority than us whites, right?

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 03:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Admitted
Inheritance privilege isn't all bad, it's better than white privilege. At least it conveys something useful.

I like it...I think it is an accurate understanding without bringing race into the issue and would allow a lot more consideration towards the issue at hand that will inadvertently help balance things out if ever resolved (it will never be resolved though)

Meh, give it a couple hundred years and it will be amazon/walmart privilege

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 03:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Taggart

So basically when someone says something extremely racist about white people that defending themselves makes them even more racist right?

This bull# is collectivist nonsense and a particularly ugly version of it.

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 03:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: CaptainHook

White people (who suck) have privilege that everyone else doesn't have because they suck and that's true because there are no poor white people because they are actually brown people who look white but aren't because only white people suck.

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 03:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn

So basically when someone says something extremely racist about white people that defending themselves makes them even more racist right?

I kinda wanna ask your opinion on vegetarianism.

I imagine it will go something like this

me: What is the benefits of being a vegetarian?
you: Hitler was a vegetarian...you like murdering jewish people? you are a nazi? vegetarians are nazis!!!

aka: a subject is brought up, you only point out the most wild radical jackassery within the subject and shut it down completely instead of a contemplative consideration of the nuances within the subject.
WP? oh..some guy said white ppl suck...therefore it has no merit, no discussion points, and should be fully dismissed without any further investigation.

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 03:41 PM
link   

what is 'white privilege'? Nobdy seems to want to explain

A political neologism created to shame 'white' people in to ignoring federal LAWS.

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 03:43 PM
link   
a reply to: SaturnFX

I think you're right in the context of America but I think you're wrong to limit the scope of your reply to simply the USA. If you apply the same reasoning and concepts across the globe and throughout history, the notion of exclusively white privilege becomes untenable.

It is very easy to take a small slice of something (in this case the global population and economic realities for all the world's societies, through all of history, up to the present day) and then apply a specific set of filters through which to view that slice and, inevitibly, arrive at the conclusion which you (the royal you, as they say) hypothesized in the first place.

Of course one could set up a whole variety of parameters that would allow a person to arrive at any number of outcomes they so desired, in order to demonstrate any position they wished.

Not that I am suggesting that's what you were deliberately doing btw.

I do think your suggestion of "inheritance privilege" is actually a near enough spot on descriptor for the overall situation

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 03:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: SummerRain

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 03:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: SaturnFX

you: Hitler was a vegetarian...you like murdering jewish people? you are a nazi? vegetarians are nazis!!!

aka: a subject is brought up, you only point out the most wild radical jackassery within the subject and shut it down completely instead of a contemplative consideration of the nuances within the subject.
WP? oh..some guy said white ppl suck...therefore it has no merit, no discussion points, and should be fully dismissed without any further investigation.

WTF does eating food have to do with the color of ones skin?

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 03:46 PM
link   

I'm responding to blatant racism. White privilege as a concept is not a dietary choice, but a form of collectivism that dehumanizes an entire group of people.

What is there to discuss except that such a concept, when applied, is merely the repetition of old racist ideologies played out by a different group.

Nuance? Give me a break.

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 03:47 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

It's just another strawman built on a flimsy logic that attempts to legitimize racism against white people.

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 03:47 PM
link   

You're taking it to literal and the point just flew right over your head.

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 03:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp

Logical fallacies aren't a point.

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 03:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp

Nope, you had nothing so threw in Veganism which is a CHOICE one makes in their life, being born a certain skin color is not a CHOICE is it?

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 03:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Indrasweb

I think you're right in the context of America but I think you're wrong to limit the scope of your reply to simply the USA. If you apply the same reasoning and concepts across the globe and throughout history, the notion of exclusively white privilege becomes untenable.

I think it still stands.
The past, say, 200 years is what is affecting us now. in the past 200 years, africans were the common slave where slavery was allowed.
Same path about land ownership, segregation, etc. Some nations wised up much faster than the ole US but not by generations. Meanwhile, the British empire...nuff said there.

So ppl overall today don't disciminate in large numbers...yeah some jackass racists out there but they are less and less...but what we are left with is the result of previous generations and the disparity that was created long before us for many generations....again, the inheritance privilege thing.

So...I guess first we need to admit there is a issue here and from that point, we can perhaps address it in a sensible way that doesn't just toss money down a pit, but somehow build ladders for those affected

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 03:52 PM
link   

I'm responding to blatant racism. White privilege as a concept is not a dietary choice, but a form of collectivism that dehumanizes an entire group of people.

And overall I agree with the labelling. As I have said a few times now, It would be more productive to call it what it is...a inheritance privilege, and that is a historical reality that effects today.

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 03:53 PM
link   

But people choose to discriminate against people with color. You aren't born a racist.

Also, white privilege means if you're born into a white family it means you already have the upper hand in society. That is how America literally worked for nearly 300 years.

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 03:54 PM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

People choose to discriminate for a lot of reasons.

American politics for exmaple.

Socially acceptable BIGOTRY.

I wonder why it is.

One is good. The other is bad.

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 03:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

originally posted by: SaturnFX

WTF does eating food have to do with the color of ones skin?

3 stars for being confused about a pretty simplistic allegory. I applaud you sir, you are king of the blind.

I could explain what the whole vegetarian thing meant, but I am not sure even drawing pictures at this point would help you understand

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 03:55 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

SaturnFX broke it down to you why he used his ridiculous analogy. just like you are diverting attention away from what white privilege really is. It's not just racism, and it's not a "liberal" concept either.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join