It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Revolution of Individuality

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 12:29 PM
link   
As I sat watching one of my favorite TV shows last night, Fargo, I caught a scene that made me realize something. If you’re familiar with the show at all, you’ll recognize what part I’m talking about.

In season one the friendly police officer Gus Grimmley is stewing about letting Billy Bob Thornton go after Billy Bob threatened him at a traffic stop. As Gus sits in his kitchen late at night thinking, a neighbor decides to come over and sit with him. Gus tells him his problems. And the neighbor responds with a parable:

A rich man opens the paper one day, he sees the world is full of misery. He says, “I have money, I can help.” So he gives away all of his money. But it’s not enough. The people are still suffering. One day the man sees another article, he decides he was foolish to think just giving money was enough.So he goes to the doctor and says, “Doctor, i want to donate a kidney.” The doctors do the surgery, it’s a complete success.

After, he knows he should feel good, but he doesn’t, for people are still suffering. So he goes back to the doctor. He says, “Doctor, this time I want to give it all.” The doctor says, “What does that mean, give it all?” He says, “This time I want to donate my liver, but not just my liver. I want to donate my heart, but not just my heart. I want to donate my corneas, but not just my corneas. I want to give it all away. Everything I am, all that I have.” The doctor says, “A kidney is one thing but you can’t give away your whole body piece by piece, that’s suicide.” And he sends the man home.

But the man cannot live knowing that people are suffering and he could help. So he gives the one thing he has left, his life.

-Does it work? He stopped the suffering?

-You live in a world, what do you think? -

So.. he killed himself for nothing?

-Did he? -Well, I mean… you’re saying… argh, what are you saying?

-Only a fool thinks he can solve the world’s problems.

As I heard that, something clicked. All of these current political movements, all of this madness we currently see on display, isn’t ours. All of us who follow these things and think we’re fighting the good fight, are being led. We aren’t leading.

Let’s go back to the Civil Rights era. The Civil rights movement wasn’t a political movement, it was a revolution of the people that politicians jumped behind lest they get swept up in the rising tide of the time. What we have today is different. We have political movements led by politicians and political parties that people are jumping behind. Which is the complete opposite.

What does this have to do with individuality, you might ask? Everything. The last line of that quote “Only a fool thinks he can solve the worlds problems.” couldn’t be more relevant than right now. I think we need to stop imagining we can right this ship on our own, no matter how many others think like us. We as a society need to work on transforming ourselves as individuals first. If we do that, society will follow. And the ship will right itself.

What does transforming ourselves mean? It’s up to you. Take that chance, show kindness where otherwise you would have shown suspicion and anger, give things away. Don’t be so easily led.

It’s up to you, and me, as individuals to figure it out. No politician or political party will lead any of us to salvation. Only we ourselves can do that. Stop trying to change the world, change yourself. And the world will follow.

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Not everyone is, or should be, a leader.

A leader is not someone who tells others what to do.

An individual needs the group to survive.

We don't need leaders - we need cooperators who have courage to state their honest opinions, needs and desires and then will cooperate for the good of the group.

edit on 13-7-2018 by FyreByrd because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 12:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: FyreByrd

I disagree. Being a leader doesn’t mean having people follow you, or telling them what to do. It means leading yourself.

We have to stop longing to belong.
edit on 13-7-2018 by underwerks because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 12:45 PM
link   
I've been saying that for a long, long time and then I get blasted for marching in lockstep with this or that commentator ...

It's a scary thing to go against what other people think though. It means others might not like you.

edit on 13-7-2018 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 12:48 PM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

We as a society need to work on transforming ourselves as individuals first.

This is no longer a society. Its a collection of different minded individuals with no shared culture or values. The only thing the individuals have in common is a passport and the pusuit of the dollar.

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 12:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
I've been saying that for a long, long time and then I get blasted for marching in lockstep with this or that commentator ...

It's a scary thing to go against what other people think though. It means others might not like you.

I think If you care about the truth, you have to let go of caring about what people might or might not think of you.

The truth is rarely ever popular.

Probably one of the first times we’ve ever agreed.

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 12:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS

This is no longer a society. Its a collection of different minded individuals with no shared culture or values. The only thing the individuals have in common is a passport and the pusuit of the dollar.

That’s not true. That’s what the people in power want us to think, no doubt. It helps consolidate their power.

We share something that no politician, no political party or anyone else can take away from us. Our humanity, and a will to change.

That transcends everything else.
edit on 13-7-2018 by underwerks because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 01:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks

originally posted by: TonyS

That’s not true. That’s what the people in power want us to think, no doubt. It helps consolidate their power.

We share something that no politician, no political party or anyone else can take away from us. Our humanity, and a will to change.

That transcends everything else.

Quoted for Truth.

United we stand, divided we fall. Our politicians know this and use it.

I would like to point out that a true leader doesn't necessarily lead. He/She pursues a goal and achieves it. It's just that others, like-minded, follow said person because they have the same goal as well.

I do believe that if we are to ever get past our current issues as a race then it will have to start with the individual.

Never believe that a few caring people can't change the world. For, indeed, that's all who ever have.

Margaret Mead

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 01:41 PM
link   

I disagree. Being a leader doesn’t mean having people follow you, or telling them what to do. It means leading yourself.

can you elaborate a bit more on this notion.
it sounds intriguing but I can't seem fully grasp on what you're trying to say.

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 01:41 PM
link   

we need to stop imagining we can right this ship on our own, no matter how many others think like us. We as a society need to work on transforming ourselves as individuals first.

I wholeheartedly agree and, in my work every day I have a variation of this discussion with at least one of my clients. So much suffering and distress is alleviated simply by shifting ones perspective to the things we can control. The simple act of accepting that all things that happen to us are actually self-inflicted is immensely liberating and rewarding.

I would caution against this though

If we do that, society will follow. And the ship will right itself.
. As I am also wont to say; the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

And a question: if you are ceasing to work on societies problems and focusing on oneself in order to "right the ship" are you not still simply working on societies problems but under a different guise?

Something worth pondering.

Thank you for you post. I enjoyed reading

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 01:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

The world is pretty divided right now and it's not good. Like someone said you open your mouth now days and people jump at your throat for either being politically correct or being politically incorrect. The middle man just shuts up because it's useless to voice an opinion.

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 01:54 PM
link   
I used to worry about the world when I was younger. Now I just live in the moment with as little interaction with the world as I can manage. I help friends, family and my community, but leave the rest of the world to God.

At some point I chose to be responsible for myself and not the world. Everyone on this planet has a responsibility for their own happiness. I am okay with letting others learn from their own mistakes and live their lives.

This is much of the reason I want as little government as possible. I don’t look to others to solve my problems. I am my own master.

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 02:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz

can you elaborate a bit more on this notion.
it sounds intriguing but I can't seem fully grasp on what you're trying to say.

I think we have to stop looking to groups to define us as individuals. Stop needing to belong to something bigger than ourselves to validate who we are and what we think.

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Oh, sorry, didn't notice "Location: Seattle".

Yea,.................gotcha.

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 02:03 PM
link   

You've touched on something key here. No amount of governing, moralizing, restricting, demanding, or otherwise coercing people into conformity will work. If human beings come together for something, it has has to be voluntary, by individual choice, not by mandate or decree. Well said.

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 02:04 PM
link   

I think we have to stop looking to groups to define us as individuals. Stop needing to belong to something bigger than ourselves to validate who we are and what we think.

Now you're speaking my language.
edit on 13-7-2018 by LesMisanthrope because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 02:06 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

Haha. Thanks.

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 02:20 PM
link   

What does this have to do with individuality, you might ask? Everything. The last line of that quote “Only a fool thinks he can solve the worlds problems.” couldn’t be more relevant than right now.

Well, #1. No neighbor will sit and listen anymore. Not even Family will do that they don't want to
"Have their energy sucked by downer vampires'.

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 02:24 PM
link   

What does this have to do with individuality, you might ask? Everything. The last line of that quote “Only a fool thinks he can solve the worlds problems.” couldn’t be more relevant than right now. I think we need to stop imagining we can right this ship on our own, no matter how many others think like us. We as a society need to work on transforming ourselves as individuals first. If we do that, society will follow. And the ship will right itself.

I don't disagree with you... but I look at it a little different. The day we all stop trying to force our will on others is the day that the ship is righted. We mistakenly believe today that "leaders" are meant to tell us what to do and not do. But the best leaders show the way for everyone to do their own thing. Sometimes that means people of like mind getting together and doing something together... other times it will mean individuals doing things alone. But it doesn't mean that everyone has to do the same thing at the same time, etc.

I'm talking more than tolerance for others and our differences; I'm talking actual genuine respect and courtesy for everyone's right to self-determination.

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 03:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

But then you realize, it does not matter who likes you or not. Happiness comes from within.

And especially in this day and age, with exceptionally short attention spans, people lash out with more passion than they used to and then 10 minutes later they don't even remember you or what they did. People only care about themselves and their own opinions, who cares if they like you or not.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join