It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Daniel Cormier. the goat?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2018 @ 06:52 AM
link   
he has to be in contention for that unofficial title
the list is basically
Jon Jones(depending on how you feel about the juice)
Daniel Cormier
GSP
Demetrius Johnson

i am not saying any of these guys are my favorites personally but their careers speak for themselves

the only person DC ever lost to was John Jones. before last night when he whooped up on Stipe he had had 11 fights at heavyweight(pretty sure its 11) and never lost a round.
he handled dudes too.
we have never seen anyone ragdoll Dan Henderson lie DC did. what about him throwing Josh Barnett around?

DC is one of those guys you just dont bet against. he has a style that matches up with anyone too. he is a very competent striker but his wrestling is far beyond most guys.

gonna be DC vs Brock in November or March. DC is going to smash Brock and i cant wait.

gotta give Javier Mendez and the crew at AKA credit too.
they got Cain. DC. Khabib

not bad

posted on Jul, 8 2018 @ 07:09 AM
link   
Honestly seemed really...WWE'ish last night, especially with DC calling Brock to the ring and Dana laughing the whole time.

Hate Brock, total cheater, shouldn't be in the sport.

posted on Jul, 8 2018 @ 07:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: ATruGod
Honestly seemed really...WWE'ish last night, especially with DC calling Brock to the ring and Dana laughing the whole time.

Hate Brock, total cheater, shouldn't be in the sport.

it has seemed WWE ish for a long time and i hate that aspect of the game i love.
that has no bearing on DC being considered the goat though.

i really wish that with mma/ufc we would just get the best fights.
problem is the best fights are not always where the money is.

whats to be done though?
hard to blame anyone really
the organization wants to make money and so do the fighters.
they have to find that fine line

DC was at the post fight presser and someone asked him about fighting this guy or that guy and he said he wouldnt cause its not a big enough fight.
but he is a 2 division champ and has beaten some of the best guys in the world.
he should have that luxury as 39 year old 2 division champ.

this sport breaks them down.
early 40's is it if youre lucky and dont take on any serious injuries. these guys have to get in there and get paid while they can.

it is not lebron james money. not by a long shot.

so while i dont like it i dont blame them.

i just follow the guys i like and watch the fights i think are interesting across many organizations.

but the showy wwe post conor bull# is tiring

posted on Jul, 8 2018 @ 08:59 AM
link   
I think after last night DC is undisputed GOAT, not just as a fighter but as an ambassador of the sport. When he retires he should get Dana Whites job. Jon Jones* will probably surpass him if he stays clean and still dominates, but he has had 3 of his titles stripped which takes him out of the GOAT discussion for me.

The whole Brock Lesnar thing was cringey as hell, I don't know what that was. Makes me think the McGreggor bus incident thing was staged.

posted on Jul, 8 2018 @ 09:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Jdubious

DC is definitely a good dude.
cant really deny that

posted on Jul, 8 2018 @ 09:40 AM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

DC is now 14-0 as a HW - name someone better.... (it's very difficult to NOT get knocked out in this sport with the power these HW's carry - unless you're Ngannou and Lewis who refused to throw any punches. Their nicknames are The Predator and The Black Beast, respectively... they did nothing to represent that last night)

And now that DC is carrying the HW and LHW belts simultaneously - it speaks volumes.

DC is a class act, and he even came into this fight as an underdog.

I don't think it's recency bias to claim DC is the goat. He's the goat period, in the ring... and then think about him out of the ring... he's a pro's pro, he's humble, he's an olympian

posted on Jul, 8 2018 @ 09:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: six67seven

DC is now 14-0 as a HW - name someone better.... (it's very difficult to NOT get knocked out in this sport with the power these HW's carry - unless you're Ngannou and Lewis who refused to throw any punches. Their nicknames are The Predator and The Black Beast, respectively... they did nothing to represent that last night)

And now that DC is carrying the HW and LHW belts simultaneously - it speaks volumes.

DC is a class act, and he even came into this fight as an underdog.

I don't think it's recency bias to claim DC is the goat. He's the goat period, in the ring... and then think about him out of the ring... he's a pro's pro, he's humble, he's an olympian

i tend to agree
the ngannou fight sucked.
i have zero interest in his fights.

i am happy for DC too.
he is gonna get paid for smashing brock. he deserves it.
he took on the head coaching spot as some high school down there. donating the salary. head wrestling coach at AKA.

DC impressed me with barnett cause barnett is no #ing joke

posted on Jul, 8 2018 @ 10:10 AM
link   

While I agree with your post, DC wen into last night match with only 1 move. The knockout move which his team practiced for months. One single move does not make a goat. The rematch will tell us everything. And DC is not a classy guy. Bones will always get under DC's skin and turn him into a crass schoolboy.
While lasts night fight was impressive at first, it was when he announced the whole game plan that I felt it was cheap. He worked on one single move. Impressive? Sure. But it should not instantly make you the goat. On top of the fact he bypassed top heavyweight contenders to get the title fight.
Either way, good on DC for winning. It definitely shocked me to see Stipe lose in that fashion. He for caught this once. Don't expect it again in the rematch.

posted on Jul, 8 2018 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Yeah you definitely have to have DC included in the goat conversation. I was a fan of his before last night. His striking is really underrated and he is the most versatile heavyweight ever. I'm betting he will stick around at heavyweight now and not worry about cutting weight.

The eye pokes bothered me a bit last night but they happen. Hopefully that wasn't a factor. Stipe wouldn't have seen that elbow coming regardless.

MMA is my favorite sport. I cringe when they pull out the WWE antics. Saw it coming a mile away with the ownership change. What really matters to me though is keeping the fights and fighters legit.

Hopefully USADA will be all over Brock leading up to the DC fight.

posted on Jul, 8 2018 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Props to DC!

I still need to see the fight.

posted on Jul, 8 2018 @ 07:48 PM
link   
I think it's quite fair to place DC with GSP, and DJ.

Jones I would not put on that list in any way shape or form for his conduct with regards to the octagon and outside of it. He will forever have a question mark associated with his name and I hope he never comes back.

DC may have finished the fight with that single move that they worked on in camp but it's easy to forget that he was doing quite well before that and it was a great match. 14-0 at HW is nothing to sneeze at and he for sure warranted a title shot based on his LW career and HW record.

Let's forget the other HW match even happened...

Perry looked great v Felder who showed what toughness really is, damn.

The other fights were all good. Quite happy with card though I didn't watch the prelims.

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 05:33 AM
link   
I agree that DC is now the goat. But I also agree with DC that the real goat is Cain Velasquez 🐐

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 01:52 PM
link   

I'm with you on the 'contention' for GOAT. The dude's done great things and often against the odds.

I hate the Lesnar fight. He should never stand in the octagon again and makes me feel Old Testament wrath.

"Thou hast brought shame upon the house of UFC!! May a plague of frogs bring slime to thy mat and let swarms of crabs beset thy pubic areas for thine is a cheat and a scoundrel. Ye shall never enter the octagon again!"

Yeah, DC should say no way. Depends on what he wants from his legacy I suppose.

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 02:11 PM
link   

GSP
DC
DJ

I think that might be my top 3

Jones and Silva are both steroid cheats, no place for them imo.

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 02:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

Brock brings the PPV buys. DC would make serious money.

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 02:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Jdubious

DC has had his bad moments. GSP is the #1 ambassador of all time for MMA imo.

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 03:25 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

That will be a huge payday win or lose, and I think he will win that fight.

In the fight against Stipe DC broke his right index finger. Hopefully it heals quick without surgery. He is retiring in March after turning 40. I definitely want to see him healthy for his last fight.

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 03:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky

I'm with you on the 'contention' for GOAT. The dude's done great things and often against the odds.

I hate the Lesnar fight. He should never stand in the octagon again and makes me feel Old Testament wrath.

"Thou hast brought shame upon the house of UFC!! May a plague of frogs bring slime to thy mat and let swarms of crabs beset thy pubic areas for thine is a cheat and a scoundrel. Ye shall never enter the octagon again!"

Yeah, DC should say no way. Depends on what he wants from his legacy I suppose.

his legacy is just fine.
he has already cemented himself as the GOAT(top 3) for sure.
Brock is a huge payday for him. might as well take it and get paid.

not like he has passed up legit fights to only make money.

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 03:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Illumimasontruth

In the fight against Stipe DC broke his right index finger. Hopefully it heals quick without surgery. He is retiring in March after turning 40. I definitely want to see him healthy for his last fight.

the way i see it going is he defends his light heavy in november. smashed brock in march then retires and vacates the belt. stipe steps up to fight whoever(hopefully not brock) for the vacated belt.

posted on Jul, 9 2018 @ 05:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

originally posted by: Illumimasontruth

the way i see it going is he defends his light heavy in november. smashed brock in march then retires and vacates the belt. stipe steps up to fight whoever(hopefully not brock) for the vacated belt.

You could easily be right and he is easily durable enough to do that at 39. I'm not sure any light heavyweights will entice him enough to cut weight again though. Factor in his back problems from a recent training injury and he might just want this last big payday and legacy bout. I hope he destroys Brock lol.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join