It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Meteorologist Explains Why the Extreme Heat is Way Worse Than You Think

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 09:55 PM
link   
I think whether meteorologists say this is normal, or scientists say it's the end of the world, or if the lobbyists say the climate has never been better, or one side tells us it's human caused or another it's the volcanoes -- it's all separating us from agreeing on one thing; that it is real, whatever the cause is.

This is verifiable and we should all at least agree that we are warming up.

Once we all agree with that, we need to all look for a reason why. Maybe it's not human made, maybe it's a solar cycle, maybe it's an earth cycle -- who knows... but it's real. Everyone agreeing on that would be a great start.
edit on 7-7-2018 by Kharron because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 09:58 PM
link   
I don't think people understand just how much CO2 we are emitting.

In the U.S., we burned 19.69 million barrels of oil per day. That's ignoring other fossil fuels. How much oil is it?

A barrel of oil is about 160 litres, which means we burn approximately 3.15 billion litres per day in the U.S. alone.

That works out to a square kilometer covered in oil over three meters deep each day, or a 1.15 cubic kilometers per year

The world in total burns another 73.31 million barrels of oil per day.

Oil is roughly 84% carbon.
edit on 22Sat, 07 Jul 2018 22:00:46 -0500America/ChicagovAmerica/Chicago7 by Greven because: litres not barrels

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 10:01 PM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

Notes: Mother Jones is a politically

I stopped there...they just admitted she has a mental illness.

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Perhaps CO2 is rising because the forests that turn CO2 into oxygen are being exterminated at an alarming rate. So its not so much a worry that the percentage of CO2 is rising, but percentage of O2 is falling. To overcome the decline in the manufacture of O2, governments should dictate that all farms maintain a 33% coverage of tree's which would result in higher price of produce. But governments wont do that because carbon trading is all about profits for banks in the derivatives market.

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 10:09 PM
link   
A weatherman says....
All I have to say on the subject

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 10:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: glend
Perhaps CO2 is rising because the forests that turn CO2 into oxygen are being exterminated at an alarming rate. So its not so much a worry that the percentage of CO2 is rising, but percentage of O2 is falling. To overcome the decline in the manufacture of O2, governments should dictate that all farms maintain a 33% coverage of tree's which would result in higher price of produce. But governments wont do that because carbon trading is all about profits for banks in the derivatives market.

CO2 is not turned into O2.
(2) H2O is turned into O2 during photosynthesis.
The hydrogen atoms combine with CO2 molecules to produce sugars.

Oxygen levels are indeed falling:

But the reason they are falling is because we are burning so much carbon, which fixes to oxygen to become CO2:

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Humans aren’t affecting climate change at all.

After a night of watching videos on YouTube I’ve concluded that tens of thousands of scientists around the world throughout multiple disciplines are wrong.

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 10:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Greven

But if we disregard photosynthesize, isn't it a fact that plants produce more oxygen than they use?

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Whatever happened to the “Bio-Domes?” Not the specific one in the movie. They could be part of a solution, if practical, right?
Last I think I heard, it kinda failed, though. Is that true?
If not, are we mass producing them on the DL, or something?

I pray for everyone.
Later.

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 10:55 PM
link   

So a meteorologist, who has a degree in forecasting short term weather, is going to tell me why hot weather is bad?

Maybe i would take this person seriously if they studied earth's climate instead.

The climatologists don't have such a grim outlook.

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Deforestation is a contributor.

As is Methane release which is climbing alarmingly due to these 'heat waves' in areas of permafrost.

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 11:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks
Humans aren’t affecting climate change at all.

After a night of watching videos on YouTube I’ve concluded that tens of thousands of scientists around the world throughout multiple disciplines are wrong.

LOL

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 11:02 PM
link   

a reply to: Greven

But if we disregard photosynthesize, isn't it a fact that plants produce more oxygen than they use?

Plants do take up (or sequester CO2) and emit O2 as a byproduct of photosynthesis.

posted on Jul, 7 2018 @ 11:15 PM
link   

"Extreme weather" & they still come with arguments like the long cold winter is a sign it ain't happening. You must be a saint puttng up with arguments like that without screaming.

The sum of weather is climate and it's getting more extreme, winter as summer. Germanys north is burning, England is burning, droughts or floods, but it's all "normal"... smh.
They will keep on denying it no matter what happens.

posted on Jul, 8 2018 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Wait up a minute here... any time anyone makes an argument such as "the winters here seem to be getting colder" they are often told that is a ridiculous argument because you can't just extrapolate from local weather conditions to global weather conditions. We release less pollution into the atmosphere now than 30 years ago... also the claim that extreme weather events are on the rise is also false according to the data, look it up. Seems to be Mother Jones is more than willing to stretch the truth, just the fact that their reporting "mostly favors the political left" indicates there is a level of bias in one direction and they aren't truly balanced. And quite frankly I would rather a source leaning slightly the right, like a libertarian source, than something leaning to the left. I don't automatically equate leftism with truth and intellectualism.

posted on Jul, 8 2018 @ 01:25 AM
link   
It's insanely hot here in England and where I live there's been about 2 hours of rain in 3 weeks which is very unusual, and here's a story about the roads melting.

www.independent.co.uk...

posted on Jul, 8 2018 @ 02:09 AM
link   
I have a theory. If this extreme heat continues, heat start to dissipate suddenly and goes cooling for long period.

posted on Jul, 8 2018 @ 03:07 AM
link   

I remember living in Ahwatukee Az,used to get close to 120 on average during the summer,remember having a smoke in backyard at midnight and was still 106,hot but nothing unusual

posted on Jul, 8 2018 @ 03:11 AM
link   
Any time I see these stories, i always read the links first to see if it really says what the OP says it says. This one does.

The next thing I look for is bias. It's Mother Jones... duh, yes.

If there seems to be bias, I start checking for factual inaccuracies. Sure enough:

When you start getting temperatures above 86 degrees, it starts to cause heat stress on certain crops—corn, soybeans, wheat. They don’t grow as well.

Nope. Wrong.

I live in a farming area. My cousin runs a farm of several thousand acres, employing several people, and has untold cash tied up in equipment. It's hard to drive a mile down any road without driving by one of their fields, and this condition extends for over a 10 miles radius. They even have two private truck scales so they can deliver their harvest. I think they know what they're doing.

What they're doing is growing corn and soybeans in temperatures that regularly hit over 90 degrees every... single... day during the summer. The crops are green and healthy, and produce very well in those conditions. Now, should highs get above 100 degrees and the highs stay there for a few days to a week (which is normal in August for us but hasn't happened in a decade), then you start seeing a little brown around the edges. 86? That's perfect growing weather!

So... his accolades notwithstanding, Nick Humphrey don't know what he's talking about.

Most deaths due to heat are actually due to stoopid... you have to drink enough fluids and use some common sense when the temperatures climb too high... precautions as in dress light, pace yourself, sit and cool off during the heat of the day, and don't try to be some macho "temperature don't bother me" hero. If you stop sweating, you get to a shade and sit. Period.

If someone went outside in freezing weather unprotected and tried to swim in an ice-filled lake, the coroner probably wouldn't list the cause of death as freezing, but as dementia. Yet, try doing something similar in 100 degree heat and it'll be listed as heat stroke if it occurred falling off a roof.

Now, I know there is a heat wave covering most of the US (I'm enjoying it myself), but that's all it is: a heat wave. This winter it'll be cold waves. Next summer it'll be another heat wave. We call those "seasons" and they're not a new invention.

TheRedneck

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join