It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump’s Trade War Is Wreaking Havoc on the Dairy Industry

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 06:49 PM
link   

The president of Wisconsin’s BelGioioso Cheese called the situation “a nightmare.”

Trump has no clue the damage he's doing. I doubt he even cares.

It’s ridiculous to want a business to sacrifice for the cause of some political-economic experiment when any business can be out of business pretty quick at the drop of a hat when the markets crash.

So far, the administration’s efforts on trade and regulation have ended up hurting the very industries they claim to be helping. The 10 percent tariff Trump placed on aluminum, for instance, has made raw materials more expensive for most of the companies that actually produce aluminum products in the U.S., since they’re generally in the business of importing those raw materials and shaping them into more valuable upstream products. Steel tariffs have made pumping crude more expensive for oil companies by adding to the cost of building rigs and buying equipment. Soybean prices are crashing in response to Chinese tariff threats. Detroit’s car-makers are worried about potential tariffs on foreign autos, with executives warning about possible retaliation. The law of unintended consequences is playing out, or about to play out, in sector after sector of the economy.

You wonder if this madman doing this on purpose.

Already in trouble, Wisconsin dairy farmers are now getting hammered by tariffs

www.jsonline.com...

The U.S. dairy industry is getting hammered in trade disputes with Mexico, China and Canada, putting Wisconsin farms already in trouble at even greater risk.
Wholesale cheese and butter prices have slumped in recent weeks as buyers and sellers worry about the effect of new tariffs on dairy products, according to Pete Hardin, publisher of The Milkweed, a dairy industry publication based in Brooklyn, Wis.
“It’s a collapse of confidence in the world market. Globally, there’s some spectacular stuff going on,” Hardin said.

Poor fools, actually the probably all voted for Trump1

I hate to say it

WE TOLD YOU SO

Wisconsin reeling from tariffs coming from Mexico, Canada, Europe

www.jsonline.com...

At a recent town hall meeting held by U.S. Rep. Jim Sensenbrenner in Hartford, a local manufacturer complained vehemently about the new steel and aluminum tariffs imposed by President Donald Trump. “I do recognize this is probably a negotiating tactic … the administration is using, but in the meantime real families are being crushed by these tariffs right now,” said Doug Reigle of Regal Ware, a company with 200 employees in West Bend that makes cookware and small kitchen appliances. “We ship our products all over the world — 65 percent of our revenue comes from outside the United States … and the tariffs are hitting us especially hard,” said Reigle, who said his firm has already spent about $150,000 this year to cover the tariffs.

All these complainers, they should be grateful Trump is destroying their businesses

+24 more 
posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 06:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

My Aunt and Uncle were dairy farmers for years and to blame it on Trump is BS! Small time farmers have been victims of crony capitalism for years!

Want to be honest Will? Or just hate Trump?

+19 more 
posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 07:03 PM
link   

I'm from Wisconsin, and I do believe that Canada hit us with a very large tariff, ( of 250 to 300 percent) on dairy long before Trump was even in office. So it's ok for them to do it, but not Trump? Give me a break.
edit on CDT2018p2018-07-05T19:08:12-05:00Thu, 05 Jul 2018 19:08:12 -0500pmf31 by Topcraft because: Add content

+6 more 
posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 07:14 PM
link   
One thing about the Internet is, it makes it harder to revise history.

...Dairy Dispute

Republican Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker and Democratic New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo wrote a joint letter to Trump April 18, accusing “the Canadian dairy industry and government” of “plotting a trade war against our nation’s dairy farmers.” Last October, Cuomo had written to Canada Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, saying that regulatory changes in Ontario “could effectively block New York exports of ultrafiltered milk — potentially violating World Trade Organization (WTO) commitments.”

The Canadian ambassador, David MacNaughton, told the governors in an April 18 response that financial losses for U.S. dairy farmers are “due to U.S. and global overproduction,” not Canada’s actions.

Democratic Sen. Chuck Schumer, of New York, has said he would work with Trump on retaliatory actions against Canada if need be. “Because our dairy farmers are more productive and more efficient, Canada should not think it’s going to get away with this,” Schumer told USA Today last week.

The April 2017 Letter.

The Tariff is 270% on dairy.

Trump asked for no tariffs at all and whether I agree with Trump or not, I do agree with that. Canada is not willing. What would be more fair than no tariffs at all?

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 07:14 PM
link   

"It's ridiculous to want a business to sacrifice for the the cause of some political-economic experiment when any business can be out of business pretty quick at the drop of a hat when the markets crash."

Will.... businesses and people will either benefit from, be damaged by, or be unaffected by such "political-economic experiments" as you are describing. That is the nature of governments and industry.

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 07:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

Exactly... Trumps just trying to a good thing for the US with these tariffs... He's creating policies which will force the US to became totally self reliant on their own natural resources.

He must have seen how well that worked out for North Korea and wants to follow suit.

He's actually total genius... His just playing 4d chess!!!
edit on 5-7-2018 by Subaeruginosa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 07:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa

Exactly... Trumps just trying to a good thing for the US with these tariffs... He's creating policies which will force the US to became totally self reliant on their own natural resources.

He must have seen how well that worked out for North Korea and wants to follow suit.

Care to address my relatives experience on how crony capitalism has screwed small farmers in favor of corporate farms or would you as well care to blame Trump?

Funny how as an American with relatives who are dairy farmers have to be told by an American hating Australian I don't know WTF I am talking about aye?

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 07:41 PM
link   

What? Canada HAS been screwing the dairy farmers.

APRIL 24, 2017

A guide to understanding the dairy dispute between the U.S. and Canada

www.theglobeandmail.com...

Canada has long maintained a high tariff wall on most dairy products. The duty on milk is 270 per cent.That keeps most imports from the United States and elsewhere out of Canada, while helping to prop up higher domestic prices.

One notable exception is ultrafiltered milk and other protein-rich dairy ingredients used to make dairy products such as cheese and yogurt. North American free-trade rules do not cover these ingredients, so they enter Canada duty-free. And in recent years, U.S. dairies have developed a booming business selling these low-cost products to dairies in Canada ($133-million last year).

That all changed about a year ago, when Canadian dairy farmers and producers moved to close the breach in the tariff wall with a new "ingredients strategy." They persuaded regulators to create a new lower-priced class of industrial milk as an incentive to get dairies to produce protein substances in Canada, using Canadian milk. The result was predictable: U.S. imports fell in 2016, and are declining sharply so far this year.

Same with the EU. The EU actually has a trade surplus with the US in dairy because of their tariffs and regulations against US dairy. Only Mexico hurts a little bit.

www.nmpf.org...

In prior submissions to the Administration about U.S.-EU trade, NMPF and USDEC have noted that U.S. exports to the EU are hindered by significant tariffs, as well as sizable regulatory barriers such as requirements unrelated to food safety with respect to somatic cell count limits for imported dairy products, tariff-rate quota administration details, cumbersome mandates related to certificate dating, bans on the use of generic food names and other requirements. As a result, U.S. dairy sales last year to all 27 EU member states—home to over 500 million people—just barely edged out those to Singapore, a country well known for its commitment to free trade, yet home to just over 5 million people.

edit on 5-7-2018 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 07:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa

Care to address my relatives experience on how crony capitalism has screwed small farmers in favor of corporate farms or would you as well care to blame Trump?

More importantly, would you care to address how Trumps trade war is helping them prosper?

Funny how as an American with relatives who are dairy farmers have to be told by an American hating Australian I don't know WTF I am talking about aye?

You'd probably need to wait for an actual "American hating Australian" to post and tell you ya "don't know WTF your talking about", before we can establish whether its funny or not.

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Canada has had tariffs on some US goods all along to protect their economy yet people complain when we put a ten percent tariff on Aluminum that comes from Canada. The factories just boost the price of their product or can just buy from American sources. The tariff is meant to level the playing field so our aluminum producers can be more competative.

The guy complaining about paying a hundred fifty grand in Tariffs did not lose a cent, he passed it on to the customer. That Tariff money goes into our governments system and is one of the replacement incomes to pay for the tax cuts. The response from these other countries to increase their tariffs, I said increase because they always have had tariffs on most US goods, is what is causing the upcoming problems in their own countries for their people desiring to buy some American goods. We were one of the only major countries that was tariff free, there are big tariffs on many US goods all over South America too.

This whole negativity on Tariffs Trump stuck on other countries is a joke, they do it all the time.

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 08:05 PM
link   
I saw a bewildered cow in Wisconsin last week.

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 08:08 PM
link   

My Aunt and Uncle were dairy farmers for years and to blame it on Trump is BS! Small time farmers have been victims of crony capitalism for years!

Bingo! This shut-down of independent farmers began long before Trump was even a candidate. Regulations and paperwork had more to do with it than any tariff. The support of corporate farms to the detriment of the small, independent farmers began in the Carter years. It just took a while to get the last of those stubborn little guys out of business. Obama's EPA finally did in the last one in our county with help from the EPA and the people from California who moved next to a diary farm and complained that cows smell bad and make terrible noises.

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 08:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
I saw a bewildered cow in Wisconsin last week.

Are you sure it was a cow? Maybe it was high speed beef.

Edit: I was shocked that Google did not recognize high speed beef.
Deer meat.
I just lost some respect for Google.

Aaaw, Yahoo search found it. joeroads.com...
edit on 5-7-2018 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Sorry. Can't take economic advice from a leftist without laughing hysterically at the absurdity of the proposal.

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 08:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: NthOther
Sorry. Can't take economic advice from a leftist without laughing hysterically at the absurdity of the proposal.

I mean, the idea of that even happening is funny as hell.

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 08:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Topcraft

I'm from Wisconsin, and I do believe that Canada hit us with a very large tariff, ( of 250 to 300 percent) on dairy long before Trump was even in office. So it's ok for them to do it, but not Trump? Give me a break.

Forgive Willtell. He's desperate for something..anything..to validate his disdain for the man that's making America even greater.

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 08:38 PM
link   

“I do recognize this is probably a negotiating tactic … the administration is using, but in the meantime real families are being crushed by these tariffs right now,” 

How long are you (generic) willing to put up with the inevitable disruption that comes with all change? Change is always a hard thing for humans to except; which is why we always put off with dealing with our problems be it personal or socialital.

Now I don't know if Trump is making the right decisions or if he's running us off the cliff; but if there is one thing his presidency is proving it's that the American people have very little tolerance for change.

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 08:41 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

High speed beef totaled my car in 2013. Amazing the force they have. A client of mine was killed about 20 years ago, when high-speed beef snapped his neck.

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Why? Did Canada stop drinking milk?

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 08:56 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

Are you avoiding reality just to support your man? It's the testimony of dairy farmers, their saying their hurting. I'm just quoting them

Are you in denial, is the question

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join