It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Interstellar Object 'Oumuamua' is 'Unexpectedly' Speeding Up

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 01:48 PM
link   
a reply to: peacefulpete

I don’t think there’s any indication that it’s spinning.
Incorrect. There are strong indications.
www.nature.com...

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 01:49 PM
link   
a reply to: LucidXMystery

I was looking at pictures of it's path through our solar system and it looks so odd to me where it entered and as it passed our Sun it began to change it's acceleration and took like a 90 degree turn! Weird.
Almost like a comet. The Sun's gravity tends to do that.

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 01:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

I don’t think there’s any indication that it’s spinning.
Incorrect. There are strong indications.
www.nature.com...

That link says that the turning was estimated, not observed.

“Rotation period estimates are inconsistent and varied.”

“No single rotation period can explain the exhibited brightness variations. Rather, 1I/‘Oumuamua appears to be in an excited rotational state undergoing non-principal axis rotation, or tumbling.”

I’m not convinced. If the idea of turning is only based on brightness variations then it could be actual lights on the object. Or the light of propulsion, maybe.

Am I missing something about it?

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 02:01 PM
link   

a reply to: LucidXMystery

I was looking at pictures of it's path through our solar system and it looks so odd to me where it entered and as it passed our Sun it began to change it's acceleration and took like a 90 degree turn! Weird.
Almost like a comet. The Sun's gravity tends to do that.

Is this the correct path?

How can the sun make it switch directions that hard and sudden?

Doesnt look very natural or cometlike to me. Just checked out some recent comets' paths in our solar system and there's nothing even similar.

Is that the correct path tho?

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 02:02 PM
link   

And you said that you didn't think there was any indication that it is tumbling. There is strong indication that it is doing so.

edit on 7/2/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 02:11 PM
link   

And you said that you didn't think there was any indication that it is tumbling. There is strong indication that it is doing so.

But the indication is only brightness variations, right?

I’m skeptical that that indicates turning, necessarily.

Especially it seems nonsense that the simulations always show it tumbling end-over-end.

How about the thing flies straight and remains level, while rotating the other way?

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 02:15 PM
link   
a reply to: 1337Kph

Hard and sudden? No. It's a clean parabolic curve (hyperbolic, actually, but close enough).

Just checked out some recent comets' paths in our solar system and there's nothing even similar.
Why "recent?" Have you checked out comets which pass as near the Sun? Try Halley's comet, for example. Or 96P/Machholz 1.

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 02:17 PM
link   

a reply to: 1337Kph

Hard and sudden? No. It's a clean parabolic curve (hyperbolic, actually, but close enough).

Just checked out some recent comets' paths in our solar system and there's nothing even similar.
Why "recent?" Have you checked out comets which passed as near the Sun? Try Halley's comet, for example.

I think he was talking about the seeming vertical drop in the line in the illustration. I’m guessing that’s just how they draw it?

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Ah. He's talking about the "stalks?" Right, that's not the orbit. Just indicators of where it was relative to the ecliptic.

Its path is drawn in magenta before its October 19, 2017 discovery, and then in yellow. Stalks connect it to the ecliptic plane, that is the Earth-sun plane, at the beginning of each month.

earthsky.org...

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 02:32 PM
link   
It's too bad we didn't see it coming earlier. We could have dropped a probe on it to ride out of the solar system.

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 02:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Blue Shift

I don't think we have anything that could have caught it, even if we found it earlier.

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 02:42 PM
link   
the most interesting thing about the Inter-stellar object to me

is that it was aptly named ::

An interstellar asteroid has received a name that’s fitting to its status: ‘Oumuamua (“Oh-moo-ah-moo-ah”), a Hawaiian word meaning “a messenger from afar arriving first.”

The first-of-its-kind object forced the International Astronomical Union to come up with a new system for designating small bodies that apparently come from beyond the solar system.

MPC designation: 1I/2017 U1 … aka: Oumuamua

A new paper titled, "The origin of interstellar asteroidal objects like 1I/2017 U1," which is still under review, takes a look at three possible origins for `Oumuamua'

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 02:45 PM
link   
a reply to: St Udio

arxiv.org...

We conclude that ’Oumuamua is part of the left-over debris of the star and planet formation process in the Galaxy. We expect that the Galaxy is rich in such objects, with a density of ∼ 10 14 or 10 15 objects per cubic parsec. We estimate the probability that a s ̄ olus lapis passes the Sun within 1 au, taking the gravitational focusing corrected cross-section into account, at an event rate of about 2–12 per year.

Interesting. Not very rare but this is the first one we've seen? They don't seem to address that.

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 03:04 PM
link   

I don't think we have anything that could have caught it, even if we found it earlier.

It would certainly be an interesting engineering challenge.

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 03:07 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Scan...
Complete-

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 03:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ophiuchus 13
Scan...
Complete-

You can't just build a Vogon hyperspace bypass without first taking a few measurements.

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Who?mans!😂

posted on Jul, 2 2018 @ 03:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Blue Shift

Yes the Dyson sphere laser must be linked to the crafts power remotely to increase light speed captain

posted on Jul, 3 2018 @ 11:39 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Somehow, Oumuamua reminds me the book "Rendez-vous with Rama".

posted on Jul, 3 2018 @ 11:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: roguetechie
a reply to: Wolfenz

Do yourself a favor, stop using the ridiculous or whatever civilization rating system. It's a not particularly funny joke that pretty directly contradicts everything we know so far about actual civilization and technological advancement!

Seriously, it's pure weapons grade derp of the highest order and when otherwise smart people try to sound smarter by using this ridiculous scale... They just look stupid.

are you but Hurt ! against your Religion ?

Looking Stupid , you must be in the We are the only ones in the Galaxy that is the Highest Civilization.

and I do what I want... So Keep on having those eyes Closed , and Those fingers in Your Ears.!
keep on Trolling away .. let the negativity run through ..

so are you calling Miko Kaku Stupid ?

The Physics of Extraterrestrial Civilizations
How advanced could they possibly be?
mkaku.org...

New Developments Since Kardashev gave the original ranking of civilizations, there have been many scientific developments which refine and extend his original analysis, such as recent developments in nanotechnology, biotechnology, quantum physics, etc.

I could Imagine , what you would say if Neil G Tyson had Said that we May live in a Hologram / Virtual Universe...

ohh never mind he did mention that ,, My Bad ......

www.youtube.com...

Understanding Simulated Universes | StarTalk

Neil deGrasse Tyson says it’s ‘very likely’ the universe is a simulation
www.extremetech.com...

edit on 22018TuesdayfAmerica/Chicago7183 by Wolfenz because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join