It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Interstellar Object 'Oumuamua' is 'Unexpectedly' Speeding Up

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2018 @ 07:08 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

I just figured it got a sling shot effect off one of the outer planets..if it sped up/changed vector, at all...

They don't seem to think so though.

“Our high-precision measurements of ′Oumuamua’s position revealed that there was something affecting its motion other than the gravitational forces of the Sun and planets.”

Guess we'll know for sure when the crew of Oumuamua engage warp.

posted on Jun, 30 2018 @ 07:09 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Yeah, them sneaky aliens fired their engines in a way that the acceleration matches that of a comet.

posted on Jun, 30 2018 @ 07:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: St Udio

this object is the same one which was already speeding off towards the Constellation Pegasus
~before revisionist history snatched up the object~ and the discovery of the space rock was modified from 9 September 2017 to the 19 October 2017 date attributed to the Hawaiian Pan-STARRS Telescope

recent: www.forbes.com...

LMAO what? Where do you have the 9 September 2017 date from?

posted on Jun, 30 2018 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Well, I learned that any force acting upon an object is called acceleration, so thanks Phage! Too many years driving a car instead of reading physics textbooks, I guess... errr ... that IS correct, right?

This object is very, very interesting, though... and of course it HAS to be a comet 'cause what else could a tubular, spinning visitor from deep space that varies in it's speed be, but a comet?

Wonder if it dropped off any small insect or animal-like (Von Nueman) probes? Any Greg Bear readers?

I know scientists have jobs to do, but as an unwashed member of the mouth breathing public, I'm free to conjecture all I want.

Hey, anyone know its' spin velocity ...and how that would translate to pseudo gravity supposing a hollow interior? I wanna know if 1 standard g is hospitable to anything at the origin end of that Hawaiian Comet (Phage's nickname in his youth, I'm guessing).
edit on 6/30/2018 by Baddogma because: first edit for physics accuracy- several more to come?

posted on Jun, 30 2018 @ 07:36 AM
link   

I could not find any time lapse real images to confirm...but the animation showed it spinning on only one axis. That seems very highly unlikely to me, if it were a natural object. Several articles said it had been determined to be a comet. But, if it's tumbling was determined by random(ish) gas jets, I would expect movement on all axes, not just one.

If indeed it is just spinning, end over end, that could provide artificial gravity on the inside. It would be very interesting to see calculations, based on the actual rate of tumble.

posted on Jun, 30 2018 @ 07:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Baddogma

The shape has nothing to do with it. It is called a comet because the path deviation matches that of a comet.

Also the shape was not observed directly. It was inferred from the periodic variation of the amount of light it reflects.
edit on 30-6-2018 by moebius because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2018 @ 08:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: moebius

Yeah, them sneaky aliens fired their engines in a way that the acceleration matches that of a comet.

Probably trying not to arouse our suspicions , if they went straight to warp they'd be signaling their existence.
Tippy toeing out of our system.

posted on Jun, 30 2018 @ 08:31 AM
link   
"there was something affecting its motion other than the gravitational forces of the Sun and planets.”

engines?

posted on Jun, 30 2018 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Latest findings or...everything you might want to know what they say they know..
youtu.be...

youtu.be...

youtu.be...

posted on Jun, 30 2018 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Oumuamua

Lol. That even sounds like something you would name a spaceship.

posted on Jun, 30 2018 @ 10:21 AM
link   
A few things:
1. It appears to be spinning on all 3 axes which would leave it's interior living compartments covered in vomit.
2. It's acceleration isn't a big enough deviation that it could associated with "thrust". As a matter of fact, it's alteration in speed diminishes the farther it moves away from the Sun, and it's observed trajectory isn't that far off from the trajectory that was initially proposed.
3. It has been theorized that it is currently out-gassing larger/coarser material which hasn't been dense enough to show up in imaging attempts. Or their hyperdrive thruster is one of those expensive "no-emissions" models.

posted on Jun, 30 2018 @ 10:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Baddogma

Well if the neutronium _ anti neutronium balls have entered the core we haven't got long to go. Expect the witness transport to arrive soon.
Damn that Sagan and the pioneer disk showing our co-ordinates.
Maybe thats why all the elite were down in Antarctica eyeing things.
On a side note Skunkape has a thread up about waking up to a metallic looking spider near him.

posted on Jun, 30 2018 @ 10:37 AM
link   
a reply to: ParticleNode

Aliens have no concept of money so I imagine anything is within budget

posted on Jun, 30 2018 @ 10:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

originally posted by: moebius

Probably trying not to arouse our suspicions , if they went straight to warp they'd be signaling their existence.
Tippy toeing out of our system.

Gortex Ill be honest...

As soon as I heard of this Oumaoumanukanukaapua'a, I became quite aroused.

I find it suspicious that they haven't actually detected any outgassing to explain these bizarre variations in velocity-based measurements.

*motions to you to come closer*

"Psst.....it's a Tyranid scout class ship."

edit on 6302018 by CreationBro because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2018 @ 11:01 AM
link   
a reply to: CreationBro

"Psst.....it's a Tyranid scout class ship."

Good call.

edit on 30-6-2018 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2018 @ 11:38 AM
link   

You said..."as it heads home"? Exactly where is that?

posted on Jun, 30 2018 @ 12:25 PM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

I don't know but my guess would be TRAPPIST-1e , mainly because it's the only one I can think of but it's as good a candidate as any.

posted on Jun, 30 2018 @ 01:49 PM
link   
This is simply for entertainment purposes, but wouldn’t it be amazing/terrifying if in the next couple of years a similar situation occurred with another object not unlike our visitor? Trajectory would matter of course, and I know that currently it seems to be just a “rock” of some sort, but I love entertaining the fantasy idea of an ET/ID race/species finally swooping by and saying something along the lines of “look at that blue planet, what the hell do you think is on that?”

posted on Jun, 30 2018 @ 02:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Neechavela

We'll definitely be spotting more in the future because it showed up when sharper search techniques with new instruments began operating, capable of detecting such objects fairly close to the sun and Earth. . Assuming it's a random object, there should be thousands of them within the solar system now, in transit, and a discovery rate of one or two per year is expected. That will soon be enough to see if there's any directional statistical biases.

posted on Jun, 30 2018 @ 02:49 PM
link   
This was already being discussed in an earlier thread.

Must have been a humongous kick or persistent shove, for its results to be detectable over such a short tracking arc [especially a nearly straight trajectory] while the originating point slowly tumbling -- yet not itself be detectable as a plume [which suggests a higher ejection velocity than mere thermal-induced outgassing, so as to form a much more tenuous plume cloud]. Sure it's not a hull breach losing habitat air? Or Alan Boyle's 'ion drive'?

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join