It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Political correctness, flirtation rules and accepted behaviour?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 12:49 PM
link   
I posted this in another thread but thought it would be interesting to read the experiences and opinions of others about the general topic.

We're not very politically correct in my parts like you read on the internet, I had a lovely flirtation session at the bank the other day with a gorgeous girl half my age, she started it.
I haven't shaved my head since November and after losing my ATM card had to go in with my passport to get some money out, conversation...

Girl - Oh you look so much better with your lovely thick hair, not like a criminal in the picture
Me - Laughed, Thank you, lot's of people have said the same
Girl - Honestly you do, you look like a surfer dude now
Me - I love your hair as well, is it true what they say about red-heads being fiery?
Girl - I'm a complete bitch, but I make up for it in other ways [wink]
Both - laughter and cheeky smiles.

Totally not politically correct but cheered the day up for both of us.

Now, I being early 40's would never start a flirtatious conversation with someone younger than me, it would be creepy.
I was chatting to my son about this though and he said he flirts with older women (my age) all the time and they love it, he gets beers and allsorts while working hard.

So, the way I think it is, that if the power dynamic is equal, or it's a younger person flirting with someone older that is okay, but if someone in a position of power does it (manager etc) then it's not okay, same if the initial flirt is from someone older than the person.
I'm thinking of it as a man though, a man who never wants to come off as a creep, but the crazy thing is I think it's acceptable for a woman of any age to flirt with me, I love it.
I've had old ladies flirt with me and a twinkle in their eye and I've said stuff like 'would've loved to met you back in the day' etc, always to cheeky smiles and laughter.

The full-on politically correct world I see on the internet is not a world I recognise, nor wish to live in.
Any thoughts welcome

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 12:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy
The full-on politically correct world I see on the internet is not a world I recognise, nor wish to live in.
Any thoughts welcome

Well, most people should realize that what they see on the internet is in no way indicative of real life.

Nothing wrong with flirting, everything wrong with sexual harassment.

If it's difficult for someone to distinguish between the two, then that someone should just refrain.

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 01:00 PM
link   
I used to be more flirtatious.

But you never know, these days a sensitive little idiot could ruin your life over a well-meaning joke.
edit on 28 6 18 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 01:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: AScrubWhoDied
Nothing wrong with flirting, everything wrong with sexual harassment.

If it's difficult for someone to distinguish between the two, then that someone should just refrain.

Massively agree

You might have won this thread with that!

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 01:01 PM
link   
a reply to: AScrubWhoDied

Well, most people should realize that what they see on the internet is in no way indicative of real life.

I wish this was true and that this stuff shouldn't make anyone paranoid about being a human being. But it isn't, and some of us have to be.

We walk on miles of eggshells to satisfy the overly sensitive who can't cope with anything.

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 01:06 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

I love flirting but I also come off as a bit gay because I love beautiful nails and make-up so I compliment (not flirting) all the time as well. "Oh your nails are gorgeous, where did you get them done?" Totally genuine and I've never creeped a girl out in my life, but I do have a twin sister so I do like a bit of girly stuff lol.

I can't imagine worrying about some woman feeling threatened by me...I'm friendly and latch on to a flirtatious line in a heartbeat, but I don't initiate it unless the eye contact tells me maybe I can.

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 01:12 PM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

Courtship is as old as time. Flirting is innocent. So long as manners are involved, there will be no problems. Really, all one needs in order to operate in society is manners and cleanliness.

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 01:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

Courtship is as old as time. Flirting is innocent. So long as manners are involved, there will be no problems. Really, all one needs in order to operate in society is manners and cleanliness.

Yes I absolutely agree, just basic respect and understanding others.
By understanding others I mean reading eye-contact, facial expression, tone of voice etc...it surprises me how many people can't do that.

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 01:23 PM
link   
My son-in-law was pretty drunk on a train and took a snap of a random girls legs on the train ....6 months later, the fuzz shows up to his work and arrests him and confiscates his phone. Now he is fired and is looking at 2 years in jail.

What should have been a kick in the nuts or a face slap....has turned into a life-altering experience.

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Ever since the rise of this SJW mess, I have been more afraid of flirting with a girl (I live in California). The last thing I want is get falsely accused of sexual harassment.

edit on 6/28/2018 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 01:44 PM
link   
a reply to: lakenheath24

Bloody hell that's harsh, maybe some community service or something but jail?
Is he really expecting jail or is that just the maximum punishment?

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 01:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: starwarsisreal

Ever since the rise of this SJW mess, I have been more afraid of flirting with a girl (I live in California). The last thing I want is get falsely accused of sexual harassment.

That's the kind of thing I was going on about in the OP. It seems some places are different to my world, a place where flirting is thought of as harrassment like the whole looking at a girl thing is rape.
I flirted with the optician the other day, she flirted back, it was natural though, I guess just knowing the signals.

EDIT
We had good eye contact lol
edit on 28-6-2018 by CornishCeltGuy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 01:55 PM
link   

I can't understand this complaining by young men.

Just treat the lady's with respect. It's not hard.

I haven't changed the way I flirt at all. And I'm 38.

But then again I have always shown respect.

The internet does not reflect what is really going on in the world.
edit on 28-6-2018 by scraedtosleep because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 02:05 PM
link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep

Respect is the key, I assume everyone knows what basic respect is.
The optician I flirted with I actually started with "I love your accent, you sound like my friend from Slovakia?", it wasn't actually a flirt comment because I said it because I meant it, turned out she actually was from Slovakia, and then she flirted back with me in a mutual friendly way.
Way life should be, not scared to say nice things to each other.

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Most people appreciate innocent flirting. People want to feel desirable.

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 02:11 PM
link   
holy crap what a complete waste of time it was reading this LOL

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 02:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
Most people appreciate innocent flirting. People want to feel desirable.

Heck yeah, girl at bank made my day, and she knows how much money I haven't got in my account so it wasn't gold digging lol

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 02:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults
holy crap what a complete waste of time it was reading this LOL

But you wasted more of your time posting a reply to whine about it?

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 02:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
We walk on miles of eggshells to satisfy the overly sensitive who can't cope with anything.

It seems like that on the internet for sure, is it like that in your real world?
It's not in mine.

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 03:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy

originally posted by: projectvxn

It seems like that on the internet for sure, is it like that in your real world?
It's not in mine.

Only where I work and generally, the city I live in.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join