It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

unknown gobi desert scroll

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 09:45 PM
link   
im not sure if this was disscussed before, but this seems similar to the voynich manuscript and the dead sea scrolls.

www.anomalies-unlimited.com...

im not sure what to think of it but i think it may have been a hoax.

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 10:17 PM
link   
hmm.. thats interesting only if it had more info on it instead of one sentence

[edit on 19-2-2005 by homeboiabe]

[edit on 19-2-2005 by homeboiabe]

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 10:48 PM
link   
``

yep, its kinda sparse....
but, theres these:

h- - -://s1.amazon.com/exec/varzea/tipbox/A36WIL...
.............. r e p e a t e d ..............
h - - -://s1-images.amazon.com/A/TP100000...

i reckon i'll google up the manuscript,
i reckon they got a few eyeballs to that little peek-a-boo presentation
and will track you down the road a piece, eh?

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 04:28 PM
link   
The Tocharians were supposedly the red-haired guys who made mummies and lived in China. I'm sure you have heard of them if you've been around this forum very long. Here's a wikipedia quote on them. After that I have evidence on the origin of the documents.

Tocharian refers to an Indo-European culture that inhabited the Tarim basin in what is now Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region, northwestern People's Republic of China. The people who belonged to this culture are referred to as Tocharians.

The Tocharians spoke an Indo-European language sometimes referred to as Kuchean. There is evidence both from mummies and Chinese writings that many of them had blond or red hair and blue eyes. This suggests the possibility that they were part of an early Indo-European migration from Armenia that ended in what is now the northwestern P.R.C.

I found a paper about the documents;
pnclink.org...
From there I linked to the main page of the project studying the manuscripts found at Duhuang and other Silk Road sites. idp.bl.uk...
I googled that site for "unknown language".

From the paper on the documents, the google search, and a few random facts about the site of the discovery which I found earlier, here's what I know.

1. Sir Aurel Stein disovered the documents in one of 3 trips between 1907 and 1910, not in 1900. The caves themselves were discovered in 1900.

2. There were other scholars who took documents as well, and Sir Aurel Stein did not catalog all of the documents he took. This has lead to several problems with the provenance of Duhuang manuscripts. Some are forgeries. Others are attributed to Duhuang when they are from OTHER SITES on the Silk Road. That is probably the case with this document. Other sites have yielded texts in unknown languages.

3. Duhuang was once under Tibetan control and is home to one of the largest existing collections of Buddhist art. The documents there were Buddhist Sutras, mostly in perfectly translatable languages. The other sites, including those which the unknown language documents came from, did not necessarily contain all Buddhist writing though.

from idp.bl.uk/chapters/collections/german.html Germany holds collections from several expeditions to the area around the Turfan oasis on the northern Silk Road, known collectively as ‘the Turfan collection’.... The Turfan collection comprises over 30,000 fragments, manuscripts and blockprints written in at least 15 different languages and 25 different scripts, some previously unknown, including numerous Uighur Buddhist texts, some fragments of Christian-Nestorian literature in Syrian script, medical texts, astronomical texts and a group of economic documents. Manuscripts were also found in what is now known as Tocharian, a previously unknown language written in Brahmi script. Scholars can apply to view the materials.

Nope, it's not the Voynich Manuscript, but it is real and it is interesting.

[edit on 20-2-2005 by The Vagabond]

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 11:40 PM
link   
i did a google on unknown gobi desert scroll and unknown language and i found noting but
and this is the page phantompatriot gave to us

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by homeboiabe
i did a google on unknown gobi desert scroll and unknown language and i found noting but
and this is the page phantompatriot gave to us

I gave you the links above man. I used the link on the page Phantom gave us in order to get more specific.
Google for "Aurel Stein" "Duhuang" and "unknown language", specific stuff like that. Or just go to the links I gave- they're solid, trust me. Even the name of the discoverer is the same.

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 05:34 PM
link   
so anything new on this subject?

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to post by phantompatriot

anyone have more info or clearer pics on the Gobi desert scroll?

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 09:00 PM
link   
found copies at this link www.library.yale.edu..." target="_blank" class="postlink" rel="nofollow">listed under digital images online www.library.yale.edu...

[edit on 11-1-2008 by JBA2848]

[edit on 11-1-2008 by JBA2848]

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Heres a bit more information on Sir Marc Aurel Stein and some of the stuff he discovered/plundered including the Diamond Sutra which is the most famous of the scrolls and manuscripts he took. The wiki article on him is interesting.

British library online gallery

The Hungarian-born explorer Sir Marc Aurel Stein (1862-1943) fought rivals at the turn of the last century to be the first to uncover these long-lost civilisations. The evidence had lain buried for up to 2,000 years in tombs, tips and temples beneath the sands of the Taklamakan and Gobi deserts.

International Dunhuang Project which is the same site The Vagabond sourced.

Sir Marc Aurel Stein, wikipedia

The British Library's Stein collection of Chinese, Tibetan and Tangut manuscripts, Prakrit wooden tablets, and documents in Khotanese, Uyghur, Sogdian and Eastern Turkic is the result of his travels through central Asia during the 1920s and 1930s. Stein discovered manuscripts in the previously lost Tocharian languages of the Tarim Basin at Marin and other oasis towns, and recorded numerous archaeological sites especially in Iran and Balochistan.
Stein's greatest discovery was made at the Mogao Caves also known as "Caves of the Thousand Buddhas", near Dunhuang. It was there that he discovered the Diamond Sutra, the world's oldest dated printed text, along with 40,000 other scrolls (all removed by gradually winning the confidence of the Buddhist caretaker).

mojo

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 03:14 PM
link   
what?

Uygurs are the most eastern central asiatic turkic people.

If they mean script then they should change it to gökturk script instead of eastern turkic assuming ofcourse its gökturk.

new topics

top topics

join