It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Denmark joins some European nations in banning burqa, niqab

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 05:22 AM
link   
The burkha doesn't prevent rape though does it? It serves no purpose other than to a) subjugate women and keep them as 2nd class citizens or b) give those that choose to wear it the brainwashed feeling of piety and a holier than though attitude (I've met a couple of those!) It is not necessary nor is it laid down in the Koran

Most people when the emigrate, its for a better life, an easier life, a less restrictive life, and as such if you are running from your home country due to oppression etc and going to a country that's relatively free, then wouldn't it be normal/natural to throw off the yokes of oppression that you are allegedly running from? Wouldn't you want to embrace your new found freedoms wholeheartedly?

Instead, many if not most of these people bring their oppressive regimes with them and continue exactly as they did in their home country.

Many years ago I did the old hippy trail through Afghanistan et al, and Kabul was an amazing place (not so much the villages lol) as was Iran under the Shah with women at University, women in trendy fashions with almost all the freedoms we had in the West. Now there are generations of women who have NEVER known such freedoms, who are excluded from education and unable to work or drive but hear stories from their grandmothers of how free it used to be. It should be the other way around with younger generations experiencing more freedoms than the older ones.

So yup...go Denmark! And anyone else who has the guts to go against the current politcal climate in the hope that this will either force integration or at the very least give some women the freedom we all take for granted

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 05:54 AM
link   
I am fully behind Denmark in this action. Middle eastern dinosaurs invade other countries, increase in numbers, then start issuing demands like, "Dress the way we tell you because your way offends us." Sorry, but this is not your country. You dress the way we tell you - or you can leave.

That should be the message wherever these people go: assimilate or leave. We will not change for you. And most countries are getting the hint. Unfortunately, unless the liberals start getting some common sense, it will never happen here. We will watch our way of life disappear before our very eyes, then play the finger pointing game. And yes, even though they are entirely responsible for this transition, the liberals will still try to blame it on conservatives.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 06:55 AM
link   
a reply to: PhyllidaDavenport

I don't know about that, as long as the percentage of muslims wearing the burka is low compared to other groups I don't really see an issue. Sure we don't want Iran or Afghan over here, but the odd groups of burkas women well if that's what they like then fair dos, as long as they don't push their views on this country and try to take over then let em be. When yo see the Hassidim in Manchester they aren't really causing any tgrouble they dress Polish and it is not really in fitting to the primark brigade but as long as they keep to their own and don't force it on others then fair dos live let live

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 07:57 AM
link   
They should just ban all external religious symbols, for real.

Why should people be constantly inundated with other peoples superstitious voodoo nonsense.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 08:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: wheresthebody

Why should people be constantly inundated with other peoples superstitious voodoo nonsense.

Why not apply that to everything else, like politics or sports? It's their choice, why shouldn't they be free to use what they want?

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 08:09 AM
link   
a reply to: ArMaP

I'm joking of course.

But I could argue that sports and politics are demonstrably real, where voodoo superstitions are not.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Regardless of how you feel personally about the burqa, this is violating freedom of religious expression. Plain and simple. Any freedom loving person should see this and be disgusted by it. We sure are living in some interesting times where the 1st world is celebrating infringing on another religion's religious rights.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 08:14 AM
link   
a reply to: ufoorbhunter

I'm same as you to be fair, but I only see Burka's on tourists here in the summer so it's more of a curiosity to me. Especially seeing them at the beach digging sandcastles with their kids, but can't see any skin or even eyes with some, while women are metres away sunbathing topless.
I have worked in Bradford before though and I felt I was in a different country in some areas, I'll admit that felt really strange.
I've travelled Asia and ME so being the only white guy in town is not something which troubles me, but the only white non-Muslim guy in town in a British city though, that's what felt strange.

EDIT
Say we had a referendum in Britain to ban the Burka, I would vote against it for religious freedom...and I don't even believe in any gods.
edit on 1-6-2018 by CornishCeltGuy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 08:17 AM
link   
I get super suspicious seeing people hiding their faces wearing hoodies in 85 degree weather. I see this often enough to think it's not just a few idiots.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 08:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: ArMaP

originally posted by: wheresthebody

Why not apply that to everything else, like politics or sports? It's their choice, why shouldn't they be free to use what they want?

I agree, and again, I don't believe in any gods or spirits etc.
But I do believe in religious freedom if it does not infringe the rights of anyone else.
edit on 1-6-2018 by CornishCeltGuy because: typo

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 08:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: LogicalGraphitti
I get super suspicious seeing people hiding their faces wearing hoodies in 85 degree weather. I see this often enough to think it's not just a few idiots.
You'd be a fool not to be, anyone hiding their face in unusual conditions, apart from a woman in religious dress, is likely dodgy to my mind as well.

I was dealing with a guy in a previous career life and he kept his full wrap mirror glasses on in the office, so I pulled my California Highway Patrol mirrored sunny's out my desk draw and put them on as well. He didn't like it lol

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 08:41 AM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

Yeah defo vote against a ban, as long as the burka people tolerat others trhen fine by me. They could colour it up a bit though, the Hindi women around here wear the most amazing colourful outfits, they are really nice, the burka people need to get a bit adventurous with their colours, to be honest they do seem to be getting a bit more fashionable in their designs, seen a few pleated ones recently, they seem to be on Kurds largely though the Pakistani ones look like they staying traditional.

I only drove through Bradford on a bus going to Leeds, you hear the comments about it being very muslim one day will have to check it out. Maybe it's going to be strange going there if we are the only white people but give it a go, might t be a very cheap way of visiting the sub continent without leaving Britain

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 09:02 AM
link   

I'm with you on the colours!!
Turkish women wear some gorgeous headscarfs, couple at the kebab house makes them look really pretty.
That all black is like a funeral to me lol, but it doesn't harm me so as you said earlier, live and let live.

And Bradford, in the city centre it's mixed, but some of the areas I worked in, complete different story, actually felt I was traveling again.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Just popping off topic for a min but it's probably still relevant to the thread, where in the ME and asia you travel to? Hope you don't mind asking

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 09:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: burgerbuddy

Stephanie Corneliussen

Somebody needs to feed that girl, although no burqa required on that one

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 09:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

In regards to immigrants, why leave your country to force your culture and belief upon others? Its kind of a Richard thing todo.

Be respectful of your hosts way of living or don't beg to go there.

If your country is such a Sh1t hole that you have to leave, perhaps you shouldn't try to rebuild it again in another country that you are escaping too? Pretty simple
edit on 46630America/ChicagoFri, 01 Jun 2018 09:46:44 -0500000000p3042 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Pretty much all except Iraq, Afghan, Sudan, war type places.
From Laos/Vietnam, East to Jordan and pretty much most in between.
It's a piece of piss as a bloke traveling in Muslim countries, not so much for women though, heard some horror stories bumping into fellow travelers in those parts.

EDIT
I got spat on and run out of some small Indonesian town once, wasn't sure why because none spoke English but I got the message.

...traveling ain't the same now though, my son's mates go traveling and are on facebook or snapchat all day, there were many times I didn't even know where I was, just a crap hand drawn map and hope on a motor scooter lol

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Sounds totally mint mate. If I could turn one thing back over the past few decades it d be more long term travelling like you done. Weeks away are good but proper long term months are the way to live it. You must have had a ball out in those proper foreign places, civilsations that different from the western mdeiterannean world. You go the Himilyyyas?

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Exciting as # mate, thought I was gonna be killed 4 times, 3 by people, 1 by angry monkeys lol.
Himalayas only near enough to see them, cold traveling has never been my thing.

On-topic (ish) in the UAE I'd was with a girl and had seen how women had such a harder time traveling over there than me, see women in Burkas carrying their husbands bags etc, so when we got to the safety of the airport I got her to give me her rucksack and bag, and I carried the lot while walking behind her, I did it to take the piss lol
The looks I got from the Arab men would have turned milk sour!

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 01:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

Can't scan a covered face.

I can't imagine any other reason for this ban. Who cares if someone covers there face?

Why can't we just be free to do whatever the f@$# we want so long as we don't interfere with the freedoms of others.

Laws, laws, laws and more laws. The definition of insanity. Make more laws.
edit on 1-6-2018 by Isurrender73 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join