It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hoof Trimming.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 11:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
a reply to: schuyler

I'm sorry honestly, but where else should I post it?

They are my love, and I treat them as such. There's a certain understanding about who they are and why they are, but does it upset you I've posted this here?

Honest question.

Of course not. I just thought it was funny. Next time I eat a hamburger I'll remember it was once your pet.

posted on Apr, 30 2018 @ 04:26 AM
link   
I've never heard of doing that to a cow. I think my dad has ever done that to his cows. Why?

posted on Apr, 30 2018 @ 04:34 AM
link   
Have you read the book called THE SECRET LIFE OF COWS. Not sure who wrote it and I haven't read it buy my dad has and he loves his cows. I will try to find he author.

posted on Apr, 30 2018 @ 04:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

No don't stop posting. It's great to read your farm life and it good for you to get things off your chest, good for your soul.

posted on Apr, 30 2018 @ 05:02 AM
link   

When I was growing up, we made pets out of some our livestock.... and we ended up eating them. I had a sow named Sally that would come out of the hog pen when I opened the gate and called her name. She would follow me out into our yard and I would scratch her back, then she would lay down for me to scratch her belly.
My Mom mentioned at several meals that we were eating Sally.
Congrats on your gold!

posted on Apr, 30 2018 @ 05:31 AM
link   
a reply to: verschickter

It's less stress on the cow...and everyone else.

The other way to do it is to get the cow in a special chute, immobilize them and then there's this special tailgate assembly which pulls their leg up to the rear, bending it at the knee. It's a lot harder on the animal, more dangerous and difficult on the people too.

posted on Apr, 30 2018 @ 06:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Cloudbuster

Normally hoof trimming is only done on dairy cattle because they walk around less and are always on soft ground. Beef cattle don't usually need their hooves/toes trimmed because they break off the excess 'nail' growth as they walk around. The problem comes when something happens to their foot like an injury. If they injure their foot and start favoring it they put less weight on it and the nail grows out, which in turn causes even more difficulty walking. Pretty soon, if you don't intervene, it will actually change the orientation of their foot on the ground. Depending on which toe it is (inside or outside) it can cause them to get bow-legged or knock-kneed. Consequently, you have to get them trimmed as described above.

The whole process is not a lot of fun (for anyone, cows or humans). Dairy cattle apparently get used to having it done and will relax after their lifted. Beef cattle fight it the whole time (at least ours do). It's kind of like trimming a dogs claws in some respects, some will let you do it and others will resist the whole time.

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 08:25 AM
link   
That´s why I ask, seems like much more work and stress. I mean you hoist them up their belly and lay them flat..

I have to watch a video about the procedure..

Edit: I think I know the true reason, it´s speed. Because this way you can do 2 hoofes at a time with two workers. Watching those videos seems like much more stress on the cows than the old method where they stand.

Don´t take this the wrong way, I´ve been helping and watching all my youth, it´s just my impression.

edit on 3-5-2018 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join