It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I build and fly drones for a hobby

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2018 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Hey all,

I thought some of you might get a kick out of my hobby.

I recorded this last night :

Its my latest multi-rotor. 210mm arm span. Flys on 4S lipo cells and can break 100mph easy. Details of the build are in the video description.

Knowing the range and speed of these guys, I wonder if half the UFO videos people are posting are just mini-multi-rotors like mine ripping around.

If there are any others here on ATS that build or fly drones, Id love to know!

Cheerz!
edit on 23-4-2018 by Triton1128 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2018 @ 11:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Triton1128

How many drones do I have to leash together to fly around like Mary Poppins?

posted on Apr, 23 2018 @ 11:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Triton1128
Hey all,

I thought some of you might get a kick out of my hobby.

I recorded this last night :

Its my latest multi-rotor. 210mm arm span. Flys on 4S lipo cells and can break 100mph easy. Details of the build are in the video description.

Knowing the range and speed of these guys, I wonder if half the UFO videos people are posting are just mini-multi-rotors like mine ripping around.

If there are any others here on ATS that build or fly drones, Id love to know!

Cheerz!

Cool. I race 1/8th and 1/10th electric off road RC cars. Usually running on 4s - 6s LIPOs. Been thinking about getting into drones because I don't have time to go to race track anymore since I've had kids. I can just walk across the street to park and fly my drone.

posted on Apr, 23 2018 @ 11:27 AM
link   

thats rad.

Any tips on what kinda drone to start with?

I want to learn how to fly before i drop in on a really nice one.

posted on Apr, 23 2018 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Flying FPV ( with goggles on, think VR ) is amazing. I can't explain it. The rush you get. Even still after flying for over a year. I get that same rush every time. Its addicting.

They are starting to really make some decent "pre-built" drones. x220 Wizard and what I just bought, the Emax Hawk 5.
For a first time drone tho, I would avoid the Hawk 5. Its a lot of power. But the x220 Wizard is an awesome first build.

Its a fantastic hobby! I started by using simulators on my PC hooked up to my radio. Flying "acro" with no stabilization takes a bit to get used too. But once it clicks, your good! Its like riding a bike

Edumakated - You should try it out! If you're into RC cars, then your guaranteed to enjoy this!

Getting started, a good set of FPV goggles will cost more than the drone. But its a one time buy. You can fly Line of Sight for a bit to get used to it. But once you fly with those goggles on, you'll never look back!

www.rcgroups.com...

^ Great resource if you want to know more about the hobby. Just check out the mini and micro Multirotor Drone forums. Everyone there is really helpful!

posted on Apr, 23 2018 @ 11:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Triton1128
Flying FPV ( with goggles on, think VR ) is amazing. I can't explain it. The rush you get. Even still after flying for over a year. I get that same rush every time. Its addicting.

They are starting to really make some decent "pre-built" drones. x220 Wizard and what I just bought, the Emax Hawk 5.
For a first time drone tho, I would avoid the Hawk 5. Its a lot of power. But the x220 Wizard is an awesome first build.

Its a fantastic hobby! I started by using simulators on my PC hooked up to my radio. Flying "acro" with no stabilization takes a bit to get used too. But once it clicks, your good! Its like riding a bike

Edumakated - You should try it out! If you're into RC cars, then your guaranteed to enjoy this!

Getting started, a good set of FPV goggles will cost more than the drone. But its a one time buy. You can fly Line of Sight for a bit to get used to it. But once you fly with those goggles on, you'll never look back!

www.rcgroups.com...

^ Great resource if you want to know more about the hobby. Just check out the mini and micro Multirotor Drone forums. Everyone there is really helpful!

What radios and FPV do you recommend? I have very high end pro level stuff for my cars. While I don't want to break the bank, I also figure I'd catch on pretty quick, so don't necessarily want to cheap out. I believe in high quality 1 time purchases for things like radios, chargers, etc.

I'd just need the drone, goggles, and radio. I probably got a couple grand worth of RC tools, chargers, etc on my work bench.

posted on Apr, 23 2018 @ 12:07 PM
link   

I do have a drone and have tried customizing it to add functional improvements. So far, no luck.

I want to build a drone that can maintain low altitude for durations, and attach a lure/reel to it so I can fish in tricky areas of the pond without needing to use my boat. I also need it to be able to carry a 12+ inch fish (for shorter periods of time).

This is quite the task, I know that. But I'm wondering where you might suggest I begin. Thanks in advance

posted on Apr, 23 2018 @ 12:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

What radios and FPV do you recommend? I have very high end pro level stuff for my cars. While I don't want to break the bank, I also figure I'd catch on pretty quick, so don't necessarily want to cheap out. I believe in high quality 1 time purchases for things like radios, chargers, etc.

I'd just need the drone, goggles, and radio. I probably got a couple grand worth of RC tools, chargers, etc on my work bench.

FrSky 2.4G ACCST Taranis Q X7 16 Channels Transmitter - Awesome radio, decently priced. All you will ever need. Its what I currently use. All the FrSky receivers are pretty much the best for range ect.. The XM+ and X4RSB receivers are what I use. The X4RSB can do telemetry out of the box.

I have FatShark Attitude V3 Goggles. They have the V4's out now, which I think run around 300.00. They have FatShark HD goggles but your looking at spending closer to 500 for those.

For a beginner drone, Id look at the x220. They made an x220S variant, but its not as good as the original. The original is all carbon fiber, where as the "s" variant is a polymer composite that breaks easy.

Link to x220 thread : www.rcgroups.com...

^^ Its very long but contains all the information you would ever need to know, to basically build it from scratch or replace absolutely anything if it should break. I've re-built mine entirely. Its an awesome starter.

posted on Apr, 23 2018 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Man first I've heard of flying drones with vr goggles, damn I bet that's amazing, sounds absolutely cool as hell

posted on Apr, 23 2018 @ 03:34 PM
link   
a reply to: caterpillage

Its crazy! I had to fly sitting down for the first 6 months. The FPV cam is mounted right on the front of the drone. So its a birds eye view during flight. After 6 months I was finally able to balance standing while flying. Talk about vertigo. But honestly, I know it sounds crazy, but you really feel like you are out of body. Especially when you see yourself standing there while you're flying by!

posted on Apr, 23 2018 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Absolutely stunning video capture!
That looks like a hell of a lot of fun!

I loved the lowflying segment from about 1 minute 25 seconds !

How much would it cost total to build that kit?

I would love to take video like that of our property up here but funds are limited.

I can't imagine how fun that is with vr goggles! I loved the immelmann maneuvers!

Thank you for this thread and sharing !

Respectfully,
~meathead

posted on Apr, 23 2018 @ 05:04 PM
link   

I am looking into purchasing a transmitter right now so I can get a flight simulator on my computer. This looks like so much fun. I want to do this!

Here is the transmitter I am looking at

For the simulator, I am looking at Liftoff but I know there are others.
edit on 23-4-2018 by PraetorianAZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2018 @ 06:42 PM
link   
a reply to: PraetorianAZ

I used lift off! It was great! 8 hours and I was in the air for real.

posted on Apr, 23 2018 @ 06:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Mike Stivic

Thank you, glad you enjoyed it!

That particular drone, full kit around 900 if you include FPV goggles, radio, and GoPro.

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 02:25 PM
link   
I had a really good flight last night. No wind and sunset.

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Has the battery usage gotten and longer on these things?
Friend bought one for over 500 and he gets I believe 15 min max play time which feels like 5..

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 09:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Bloodworth

No unfortunately.

Most of my flights are only 3 to 5 min. They drain a lot of juice ripping around.
edit on 1-9-2018 by Triton1128 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Recorded this last night. Pushed the limits of my old x220 Freestyle quad.

new topics

top topics

join